The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

New to the track rat lifestyle and thought I would post one of my laps at Sebring. Wonder what all you pros think?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Far from a pro, but I'd say you could use a lot more of the track. Looks like Sebring is bumpy!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Also, no expert, but it looks like you are breaking a little early into most turns. I'd say that might be just getting used to a particular track. Did they have any braking markers setup for you? Did your instructor tell you when you should be braking in a particular corner?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I second the motion on early braking, also you weren't making the best use of your power band. You weren't using all the track (as earlier noted by another poster), but with it being so bumpy you had good reason to be a bit timid to carry more speed. In short, you actually looked pretty safe and good out there, just needed a few tweaks to be safe and fast.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
early braking, also you weren't making the best use of your power band. You weren't using all the track
Agree with all the above. The early braking was at the request of the instructor. I guess that can be well understood. Can you imagine getting into a car with a complete stranger and letting them drive you at nearly 120 MPH toward a concrete wall!-eek--eek--eek-

Using all the track is an experience thing...still trying to learn the track. 17 turns and nearly 4 miles long!!!

The powerband issue is a more difficult one. I am struggling trying to find the right gear at the right point in the track. For instance... In turn 17, I downshift to 4th and my RPMs fall to low 3s!! If I try to down shift to 3rd, I begin in a better powerband but then need to shift to avoid redline RIGHT AT the worst point of the final aspect of that turn...It would not be safe to try an upshift at that point and you certainly don't want to lift to keep off the rev limiter either...You have to keep the power on. Don't really know what to do...Short of a V8 transplant:D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Good safe run. Was this a Chin event?

Not a professional but I've done Sebring quite a few times. Beside what everyone else said, just gotta work the apex better on some corners and maintain mid-high rpm while entering and really gun it as soon as you hit the apex.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Keep in mind it is better to lose a few top speed MPH at the end of a turn, as long as you have a higher AVERAGE MPH through the turn. Sometimes you have to pick where you sacrifice speed to obtain the highest average speed, and thus, the lowest lap times. If you add a supercharger, you can ride one gear taller without huge penalties.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Was it fun? Did you manage to scare yourself a couple of times ?

Yes to any of above equals perfect track technique.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Nice. Hope you had fun. I think I talked to you at the event. I had the Silver Exige. I never did Chin Event and had an instructor for 2 sessions, then I was signed off solo, and got a couple of solo runs in. Unfortunately, I switched cams and didn't turn on right switch to record. So, no video for me. Will you be going to the June 9th event?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Antflies... So that was you in the Silver Exige. Very cool. I was hoping to get next to you on the track to watch your line... never got the chance.

I do recall you passing me though... I wanted to pursue but the instructor wanted me to practice a new line and kept me behaved.:(

You were quick... Are You supercharged?

Fun day although hot as hell. Not sure if I will be there in June or not. Trying to get my schedule rearranged.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Cool. Ya, the exige has the stock sc setup. I didn't do anything to up power. Voids warranty. Hope to see you in June. Turn 1, turn in closer to wall. I'm sure your instructor helped out plenty fine though.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thanks for the vid.. all I can say is, your better than me!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I can't believe nobody mentioned this but you need to learn how to downshift better. I can hear you riding the clutch until you drop enough speed to be able to drop a gear, to me that seems unsafe. You have a lot more traction and options for input when the car is in gear. There are tons of threads and vids on youtube explaining how to do this.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If I were instructing you I would have made the following comments on my Sebring track debrief form (here:http://www.tax-whistleblower.com/racing/trackdebrief/Sebring_Debrief_Form.pdf)

Turn 1) You missed the blind apex by at least a car width. Turn in is now at the end of the extended pit wall, and give it enough steering angle to get the car down to the apex at the inside wall, then release steering over the bumps until you track all the way out before turn 2.
Turn 3) Were you coasting before the braking zone to this turn? No coasting! Our cars love transitions and you can really catch other cars under braking here (see my video below where I almost rear ended a Z06 coming into 3).
Turn 7) Don't creep down early to the apex. I think I heard your instructor say this too. Brake hard in a straight line, and you can trail brake to rotate the car, but you don't want to be early for this turn because it leads to a long "straight" thru 8 & 9, which are flat out.
Turn 11 and 12) What gear were you in here? Were you coasting again before the braking zone into 13? If you are smooth you can carry a bunch of speed from 10 all the way to 13.
Turn 13) Because you did not need to trtack all the way out, that means you didn't carry maximum speed thru 13. Try braking less/going in hotter to 13 and use all the pavement here.
Turn 14) Did I hear you lift? The double apexes of Bishop's Bend can be taken flat out in one smooth arc.
Turn 16) Are you full throttle by the time you get to the apex? You should be if you aren't.
Turn 17) You should still be at full throttle when you turn in, and then brake as you go by closer to the wall at the end of the straight. If you use more of the track thru the middle and exit of 17 you can carry more speed through the turn, which will help your speed down the front straight. Again, I could tell you could have carried more corner speed because you were at least a car width off the wall at track out.

Caveat: it's hard to tell in that video what gear you were in, and I've not tried this particular course in a non-supercharged Lotus on non-sticky tires, oh.. and I have some aero mods ;) So YMMV. On the other hand, I have more seat time at Sebring in cars other than my Lotus, and time instructing students in other street cars, so I have a pretty good idea what a NA Elise should do. Here is a video of the time I took my supercharged Elise there so hopefully you can see what I mean:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
coulthard fan,

Excellent feedback! Thank you.

Don't creep down early to the apex
Yes, it is a bad habit I am working to quit. Perfect example of look where you want to go or more precisely... don't look where you don't want to go. As I approach the apex I start looking at it and consequently drift toward it.

I also agree there is clearly more speed to be had in several of the turns... still have some learning to do in gear selection and max track out speeds.

I can hear you riding the clutch until you drop enough speed to be able to drop a gear, to me that seems unsafe.
Unsafe?! You haven't seen my heel-toe! :eek: Its a work in progress!

In all seriousness, I do ride the clutch while heavy braking but I am back in gear, clutch out, prior to turn in so I am able to rotate the car with the throttle when required. There is no safety issue there... I only give up some time as the engine has to spool back up to its powerband. My heel-toe is not consistant enough yet to safely employ in a high speed turn without grenading my gearbox apart. I gladly give up the time to avoid hitchhiking back home at the end of the day.:D

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Learn to downshift/rev-match downshift. Sounds like you are going into neutral while braking then putting it in the next gear when you're ready to put the power back down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts