The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am a new member currently cosidering to own a Elise Series 1. I am very passionate about driving and know that Lotus Elise can be a good car to learn the basics with it having the right recipes.

Unfortunately my budget only allows me to own a Series 1 at this point, hence i would have to use it as a daily car for the time being (couple months). The current car i am looking at is 12 years old that has done relatively low milleage.

Really appreciate if any Series 1 owner here can help me answer some of the following questions:

1. Reliability of the K-Rover engine and any known faults?

2. Any reliability issue on the chasis/suspension and bushings?

3. Do i need regulary maintainance and servicing?

4. What should i be looking out for and check while viewing and testing the car?

I really like the car and am willing to put up with the everyday inconviniences that the car will cause, i am just worried about any reliabilty issue and running cost of the car. I will eventually get a second car for transportation, just like to know if it is advisable to use it daily for temporary basis.

Appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
They are not registerable for public roads in the United States...unless you do some questionable stuff then it might work.

Please list your country so we can better help you.

1. Nothing was ever sold here with the K motor so parts will probably have to come from Europe or some specialized vendors here.

2. These are simple cars, there isn't much to go wrong.

3. Yes, applies to any car (fluid changes and other consumables)

4. Nothing in particular, just normal wear and tear of an old car.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am assuming you are not located in the USA because there is effectively no market for the S1 here as they were never officially imported. Lotus Talk is primarily a North American forum. You should go on the The Other Forum as previously mentioned, start by reading existing posts, then share your location with the members there and ask questions you have that haven't been answered in existing content. Sorry we can't really help you. There are only a handful of gray market and track only S1s in North America.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts