The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
The instructions in the bulletin clearly indicate that a new shift knob (with a set screw I assume), along with the larger round shaft, is part of the recall replacement.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
xxxotic said:
Will this result in the need to get a new shift knob too?
Dont some of the newer shifters have different thread patterns for the knobs depending upon when they were made? I thought the older ones were smaller and screwed on and newer ones were larger and went on with a set screw.
I'm sure they will add or include a shift knob if you'd wind up without one. Can't do a safety recall and then send you out on the road with a sturdy, pointy shaft in the middle of your car!!! I imagine they will just provide the stock new design shift knob with the set screw if you'd wind up knobless. The newer knobs seem to have a coarser feel to the engraved markings on top. Filling them in with paint smoothes that out nicely. New design knob:

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
EdHahn said:
Does this mean the new shafts will accept the original shift knob? :nanner: ed
No. The new shaft (version 5) has a different thread than the version 3 levers, which = most of the problem levers and which have no set screw on the knobs. There are some set screw knobs on hex levers. Forget the knob threading there. Lotus is likely to have ONE solution which I'd guess would be one round lever with aluminum knob with setscrew. If you bought a Lotus or aftermarket knob that only fits the early shaft? Not sure if you are outta luck there, good question.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
xxxotic said:
Will this result in the need to get a new shift knob too?
Don't some of the newer shifters have different thread patterns for the knobs depending upon when they were made? I thought the older ones were smaller and screwed on and newer ones were larger and went on with a set screw.
I believe the the knobs themselves are the same size - just that the hole to screw them on has been made larger. It should feel the same.

As for the set screw, it's my impression that the knob still screw on the shaft. Once screwed on, the set screw is tightened to keep the knob from rotating. It's much easier to line up the "label" on the top of the knob that way. The old way, you could end up with the label "upside down", and you would either have to unscrew it a half turn, of tighten it up very tight to get it to turn another half turn...

But I'm also worried about the hole in the side for the set screw - I have a problem with finding "imperfections" like that with my finger tips, and then become obsessed with it. I might end up constantly rubbing the set screw hole with my finger...:huh:

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Bummer about the knob...I like the smooth feel of the shift knob the way it is now, and like Tim, I think I'll become obsessed with the set screw in the new one.

·
Registered
636 Posts
TimMullen said:
But I'm also worried about the hole in the side for the set screw - I have a problem with finding "imperfections" like that with my finger tips, and then become obsessed with it. I might end up constantly rubbing the set screw hole with my finger...:huh:
Although I hate to fess up to something that sounds as kinky as this, I have the same obsession. Is there any way to smooth over the hole?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
David said:
Although I hate to fess up to something that sounds as kinky as this, I have the same obsession. Is there any way to smooth over the hole?
Fill it with wax? That should make it smooth, yet easy to remove should you need to get to the set screw.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Tried last week. My service manager called Lotus USA. He said the official word thus far is no recall.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Eyelise said:
Tried last week. My service manager called Lotus USA. He said the official word thus far is no recall.
Drat. I have a hex shifter and I'm driving from CT to FL and back in a few days. It would be really nice to get the shifter taken care of before I go. I'd hate to have it break in hillbilly country halfway there.

·
Registered
222 Posts
David said:
We're waiting for Lotustech to call us.:evil:
I called the local Lotus dealer Monday morning. They had not been informed of the recall yet. The Service Tech told me he would give me a call as soon as they hear something, or they are able to replace my shifter. Although they were not yet up to speed, they were very helpful, and willing to get things replaced as soon as they can.
Chet

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Just an FYI, but my shifter knob just screws on. To take it off I would simply screw it counterclockwise. It looks like I'll get a shiny new one with the new shaft. Shafts and knobs-resisting resisting...

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I just painted mine that way and now I'll likely never get to use it. Oh well it only took 5 min.

Stan said:
See post 43 above. That is the latest knob, embellished with paint in the shift pattern.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
cjcamejo said:
Drat. I have a hex shifter and I'm driving from CT to FL and back in a few days. It would be really nice to get the shifter taken care of before I go. I'd hate to have it break in hillbilly country halfway there.
Carry a set of locking pliers, and you won't get stranded at least.

ed

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
If you purchased a leather shift knob from Lotus,
we're not talking aftermarket, Lotus should replace
that type of knob for the one that no longer fits
on the new gearshift. At worst, they should allow
you to buy it at 'cost'.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Shifter Recall

cjcamejo said:
So has anybody called a dealer yet? HRM even? I meant to do it this morning but forgot all about it.
I talked to Criswell a few days ago and they are aware of the recall although there is not a final "go" form Lotus. My car is there for other work and hopefully it can happen before I get it back. If it is another week or so I will just schedule sometime in the spring. I doubt that I will drive it much before spring.

41 - 60 of 121 Posts