The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I need advice and/or someone to talk some sense into me.

Here's the dilemma:

Put a deposit down in April 2003 with LOA for the Elise. Already had at that point a 1997 Porsche 993 C2, a 2003 BMW M5, and a 2000 Ferrari 360 Modena. Couldn't resist the idea of a light weght mid engined car that looks great and really handles. Thought at that time that I coud also use it on the track, in addition to having a roadster - which I have not had till now.

Well, since then I've gone a little crazy with my car hobby. I've since sold the Modena and now have a 2004 Ferrari Challenge Stradale. About 8 months ago I also picked up a 2004 Porsche GT3. I've already tracked the Stradale @ Road Atlanta and I'm tracking the GT3 there in a few weeks. Both are great cars, the Stradale especially approaching motoring nirvana (except the cost). I've kept the 993 (which I love and have owned since new) and the M5 (my daily driver).

I'm now wondering whether getting the Elise makes any sense. I'm #32 @ LOA and I've specked out a SY base car with only a hardtop as the sole option. Figured that I would use the car primarily as a roadster to blast around in, with only occasional track excursions (given my other cars). However, I'm wondering if I will really end up using it much, given what I already have. Furthermore, my garage is full, requiring that I either keep one car outside on the driveway or rent a garage spot somewhere.

I realize this is a Lotus forum and may be biased, but what do you guys think I shoud do? What would you do?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
the elise fits a niche that none of your other cars currently fit.

the 993, on the other hand, is a bit redundant. I'd ditch that one.

·
Registered
2005 elise touring ardent red
612 Posts
if you already have those great cars...i'd forget about the lotus...you have a ferrari for heavens sake!?!?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
You've got some very nice cars already, but to me that'd be a problem in itself - I'd be worried about parking them, door dings, scratches, etc. The Elise is an incredibly fun car that you could *use* without worrying about it. It's impervious to door dings, its small size makes scratches less likely (more space around it, easier for people to walk past). If anything does happen to the car, it'll be relatively inexpensive to repair or replace. Likewise, maintenance will be less expensive than with your other machines.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Dump the M5 and use the Elise as your daily driver.

Otherwise, I don't think that you really need an Elise or will have the time to drive it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Have you driven a demo car?

Buying a sports car isn't rational. You can make up all kinds of excuses as to why you should get a particular car, but all you really need to know is if you enjoy it. If you've driven it and fallen in love and can afford it, buy it.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
bobbyd said:
Both are great cars, the Stradale especially approaching motoring nirvana (except the cost). I've kept the 993 (which I love and have owned since new) and the M5 (my daily driver)
Like the others already said: test drive an Elise first. See if you like it or not.

I don't want to sound rude or obnoxious, but if you can afford a 360CS and a 993 then a base Elise would almost 'get lost in the change' cost-wise IMHO..

I think you are correctly worried about the cost of tracking a 360CS. If you use them hard they do start to pile on the maintenance and part costs. It's a fantastic car, but this is indeed it's 'problem' (except for people where the 360CS is nothing but a 'toy' as well :) )

An Elise on the other hand (for you) might be a great 'fun car' you can (ab)use on the track all you like and the repair/maintenance costs will always be a fraction of the rarri or the porker and they are fantastically 'tweakable' to your own preference if you start dipping into the aftermarket bits.

But.. It's a very different experience (much less power, different 'philosophy') and you can really only make up your mind by driving one and see if it givs you the 'buzz' or not.

If not, then just forget about it..

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Geez.. wow to have your dilema. Anyway, since I can only live vicariously through magazines on your magnificiant collection; the British auto magazine CAR, April 04 issue reviews the Ferrari CS and GT3 RS and comes to the conclusion that the Ferrari is better all around, especially the road. If it were me, I'd keep the Ferrari for the gee whiz factor, sell the GT3 (probably will be a better one based on the 997 later anyways) and get the Elise for the track and the fun of having a targa. I am willing to bet there are more than a few Elisetalkers that would share garage space near you for a couple trips a month in the CS ;)

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Drive the Elise and if it is your kind of car, then sell the 993.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
It's hard to empathize or sympathize. Sound like you win no matter what. Flip a coin.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
i happen to know a few people that are in your situation. One such person currently has a GT2, GT3 and Challenge Stradale and just picked up an Elise. He loves the car so far and am sure he would advise you to pick it up. It shouldn't be that big a deal to park the M5 outside for a while.

if you decide you don't like it much or are never going to use it you can sell it for little to no loss.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Test drive probably not long enough

A test drive in the elise probably isn't good enough to get the full experience, so you should trade the ferarri with my elise for the weekend to see how you like it :cool:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
With so many great cars, which are also on the harder edge of the sport cars segement (Stradale v. Modena & GT3 v. 911), I don't think the Elise would really make much sense. And while the Elise is a different type of car, but you stable isn't exactly run of the mill either. Then again, the owning an Elise don't really make sense either. If you budget allows it and your heart wants it - get it.

Or, how about putting a deposit down for an Exige? By the time the Exige arrives (probably two to three years), you would have had more time to enjoy your current cars.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Just my WAG- if the Exige takes even two years to get here, then I can't see how it's coming period. With the waiver situation and test mules for the Elise replacement allegedly being spotted, the Elise and Exige would seem to have a pretty short life span at this stage.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
_JD_ said:
Just my WAG- if the Exige takes even two years to get here, then I can't see how it's coming period. With the waiver situation and test mules for the Elise replacement allegedly being spotted, the Elise and Exige would seem to have a pretty short life span at this stage.
I was under the impression the Exige would with the bumper and "properly sealed" headlights. I can't see it just running as a 2006 model only either.

Heck, if I were at the end of some of these lists, I'd be wondering if I'd be getting the current Elise version! :p

·
Registered
758 Posts
Looking at your car list, I'll take a guess and say you've got a really heavy wallet. So why's this an either/or question ?! Get both :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the replies thus far. Part of my dilemma involves lack of garage space. Cost is a relatively minor issue, as comparatively the Elise is half way reasonable. I have taken several extended test drives, and I know that the car is lots of fun. Maybe not as thrilling as the CS, and ultimately not as fast as several of my cars, but a very fun and cool car nonetheless. Plus it's a roadster, which would be different for me.

Anybody in my area know of available garage space?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts