The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Elise is an awesome car. I reserved a spot last december, but I've changed my mind and am sticking with the 911.

I've got a spot to order one at the end of October through West Palm Beach Motorcars.

I have a listing on ebay for the spot, but I spoke with Ryan and they won't let me switch the contract (I can understand why). I actually have to purchase the car, which is fine.

Here's the rub I guess, I have to actually purchase the car from the dealer and resell it to whomever wins the auction (if someone is even interested in doing this anyway). I would assume that means double sales taxes PLUS the auction price, which gets fairly steep.

Any ideas on any alternatives? If not, I may just order one and drive it for a while.

I'm not trying to rip anyone off, but just help out a fellow car nut a little. Hell, we aren't talking about much money. I was speculating a little when I put down the deposit (and have vascillated on the decision for the last 10 freaking months since they told me I could order it early this summer - amazing how the dealer can get away with whatever they please but I can't switch the contract), but the "fever" doesn't seem to be that feverish anyway.

If this is really offensive to everyone, just let me know and I'll pulll the listing, order the car, drive it for a while and sell it next spring.

I'd rather keep my reputation as a car nut with integrity than have a bunch of people think I'm a typical ebay joker (especially over $1,000)

It's a cool car and unlikely to depreciate much in the first year anyway.

What's the most popular color to order for resale value?

Thank you.

Derick

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
What he said:clap:

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
If you're buying it just to sell it again, you probably won't even break even by the time it's all done. If you order your car now, you won't see it until well into 2005. Then you'll pay tax, put a few miles on it, and it will be a 'used' car (harder to finance and partially depreciated). How much over MSRP do you think you would get for it?

Unless the hype grows rather than subsides (not looking likely), you may take a small bath on it and have to eat the sales tax or more. It's not unthinkable that anyone could buy one off a showroom for $4k over MSRP next year, which is what you'd be hoping to get for your used one.

Get yer deposit back if you don't want the car yourself. If are feeling especially 'capitalistic' and feel owed something, ask your dealer how much they would pay you to drop off the list. I don't think you'll get a cash offer at this point.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"I would order it in GUARDS RED." Why not Gran Prix White?

Good one, by the way. OK, sounds like this isn't worth the time fooling around with. Thanks for the advice guys.

"EarlyApex=LaterApex? Writing style, 911 purchase.etc, coincidence?"

Not sure I follow this one. If you are wondering about 911s, then "yes" you definitely take a later apex. :)

Have fun with your cars guys, they are sweet. I hope to see some on the track sometime soon (I drive with PBOC in Florida).

The elise should be a really frustrating DE car because you'll blow everything away in the corners and cocky 911 turbo jerks aren't going to let you by on the straights (you may just have to move up to the race group so you can pass under braking).

Peace out.

-dc

·
Registered
357 Posts
How much do you think you would want for it next spring? I would be willing to purchase a "futures" contract on the car now if you are interested and we can work out the details. But if you are looking for MSRP or higher that would be a no-go because by spring I will hopefully be placing my order.

Best advice would be to just drop your spot, is your deposit non-refundable? How much (many dealers varied)?

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
why should he drop out of his spot?? so the dealer can turn around and sell it at a profit?? u may not get as much on ebay anymore, but the dealers are still making a killing....
if i were u, find someone u want to sell it to and sell for what it cost you plus whatever ur time is worth for the matter....
THAT would be helping out a fellow car enthusiast....
dropping off the list helps the dealer make more money.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lotus USA is on top

of things. I got a call this afternoon saying that they don't allow people to do what I was doing, so I had to drop the listing.

Oh well, I still might buy it and play for a while and resell it.

I like the Starlight Black (hides some of the superfluous spoilers and scopes and other Mustang GT-esque aero designs - not that I have any right to talk coming from a 930 turbo).

Thanks for the all the help guys. Lotus REALLY doesn't want me to make $500.

I may wonder the site a little more as the car is growing on me.

I've had a Mini Cooper S (fantastic CAR!) for the last year that got flooded in Frances and love the go-cart feel, but I really like to have a real kick in my track car and the p/w ratio of the elise just isn't quite there. I'm one of those super sicko power junkies.

Any turbo kits out there yet? Centrifugal supercharger is kind of pointless on such a small engine as generates so little boost until 7k rpms.

Thanks again.

-dc

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
step away from the mind altering substances

·
Registered
95 Posts
Why wouldn't you purchase the car but not license it. This would allow you to sell it at MSRP+; and state sales tax would only be paid once by the licensing party.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
evomind said:
why should he drop out of his spot?? so the dealer can turn around and sell it at a profit?? u may not get as much on ebay anymore, but the dealers are still making a killing....
assuming his dealer is even remotely fair, they won't be making any huge profit on the car.

He hasn't ordered his car yet. They will simply remove his name from the list and take the orders from the next 10 people or whatever Lotus requests.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Probably a moot point now but, you could lease the Elise and have someone just take over the remaining portion of your lease. This would only work if:

1) Your leasing company consider the lease fully assignable to the new leasee. Some will consider you a co-signer.

2) If the sales tax you pay on the lease is based on your monthly payment and not the total price of the car.

Here's more info:

http://www.swapalease.com/ and a list of leasing company's policies:

http://www.swapalease.com/help_files/leaseco.asp

1 - 16 of 16 Posts