The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow LotusTalk Members,

The purpose of this thread is to share the preliminary results of the Lotus Elise (U.S) Survey I posted a few weeks ago. Special thanks to those of you who dedicated time and effort to responding the survey. The survey results are based on approximately 250 responses. The results, while still preliminary, are very interesting and fun as well!

For those of you who have not participated yet, the survey remains open for the remainder of April and May 2012. It would be great to continue collecting new responses to improve the accuracy of the results.

Preliminary results attached as *.zip file.

Link to survey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VBTMFZZ

Attachments

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
really cool, thanks!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Really interesting data, thank you for compiling it. I'm average!

·
Registered
831 Posts
The way I interpret the data, which itself is going to be skewed by self-selection from an enthusiast forum, is that quite a few of these are owned and driven by men over 40, most sold in 2005 have changed hands once but not more than once, and are second or third cars that are very occasionally driven off public road. Prices on the used market have stabilized to a level on the '05's and the fewer '06's, and there are plenty of cars with low mileage out there, with a heavy skew to yellow/red colors.

This suggests to me that this is indeed a unique car not just in driving experience, but in the past 20-30 years. It depreciated fairly rapidly over the first three years and then essentially flatlined. It is more likely than not well taken care of by its typically mechanically sympathetic, middle-aged owner. From a financial perspective, owning one now and for the next number of years would seem to be almost free.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I am getting an error message the zip file is corrupted.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
The way I interpret the data, which itself is going to be skewed by self-selection from an enthusiast forum, is that quite a few of these are owned and driven by men over 40, most sold in 2005 have changed hands once but not more than once, and are second or third cars that are very occasionally driven off public road. Prices on the used market have stabilized to a level on the '05's and the fewer '06's, and there are plenty of cars with low mileage out there, with a heavy skew to yellow/red colors.

This suggests to me that this is indeed a unique car not just in driving experience, but in the past 20-30 years. It depreciated fairly rapidly over the first three years and then essentially flatlined. It is more likely than not well taken care of by its typically mechanically sympathetic, middle-aged owner. From a financial perspective, owning one now and for the next number of years would seem to be almost free.

That was my gut feeling when I bought. I think you are spot on. BTW - Addertooth is correct- it's coming out corrupt through winrar.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good summary Andy777! :clap:

I tried opening the file on a different computer and works out just fine (using windows unzip). Not sure how to fix the problem some users are experiencing with winrar. Anyone more computer savvy that can provide some guidance?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Man, If VW & Mini modified their cars to attract more male owners....

Seem like they need to study the Elise/Exige.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great job on the survey! Most questions everyone asks got answered. Links worked great for me.
Thanks! :) The data is definitely very interesting and there are a few more analysis that can be done (e.g. mileage by year, etc.). I hope we get a few more responses (a couple hundred more?) throughout May to continue improving the quality of the data. Graphics can be improved as well.

Finally, I also think this document could be a good "primer" for newbies to consult as they do their research when thinking about buying an Elise. Maybe we can make this a sticky?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
[I'm uploading the file once again after compressing it with PKZIP. Hope this works for everyone now.
Attached Files Elise (US) Survey Preliminary Results.zip (992.2 KB, 10 views)
/QUOTE]

Still didn't work for me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TMR - I can't upload a single pdf file size due to size restrictions (500k). I'm now attempting to upload the main file partitioned into five separate .pdf files. I had to delete one slide (location) because it was simply too large. Hope this works now!

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Is there a full, numerical raw result file- like an excel sheet of the questions and responses?

I really wanna know how many Chili Red cars there were, as it's one of the 'other'' colors on the pie chart.

Also, I think the sample size was large enough that there are some pretty meaningful results here.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is there a full, numerical raw result file- like an excel sheet of the questions and responses?

I really wanna know how many Chili Red cars there were, as it's one of the 'other'' colors on the pie chart.

Also, I think the sample size was large enough that there are some pretty meaningful results here.

Schumi - there is indeed an underlying spreadsheet with all the responses. To answer your question:

8 Chilli Red Elises of which: seven 2006 and one 2007

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
Yea, that was cool (yes, I took the survey)
You might have a margin for error since I'm sure a few dreamers took the survey that don't have cars but added what they wished they had?

The prices for cars seem to be spot on.... :bow:

Please next time add all the colors, I don't like to think of myself as an 'other'.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea, that was cool (yes, I took the survey)
You might have a margin for error since I'm sure a few dreamers took the survey that don't have cars but added what they wished they had?

The prices for cars seem to be spot on.... :bow:

Please next time add all the colors, I don't like to think of myself as an 'other'.

That's correct, although it was relatively easy to identify those and other not meaningful responses (which I deleted). I will certainly add the full color range, I fall under "Other" too!

Also, more than welcome to hear ideas about new analysis I could run with the data I have.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts