The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following Elise on eBay has been listed 4 times now that I know of.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&item=4508611159&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

I have counted by looking at the VIN. I bid on it the first time it was listed, but didn't meet the reserve. It has been for sale by two different eBay users: rlsrls1 and sanfran1048. It currently has 9 hours left on the auction, but the last time it was up for auction, hubcapsplus won the auction as the only bidder, but apparently that didn't work out. The current auction price (at 9 hours left) isn't even up to MSRP yet.

So, it makes me wonder if something is wrong with this car.

·
Registered
589 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that they missed the opportunity to properly color-coordinate it; Bordeaux should only come with biscuit interior. ;)

Other than that, can't think of why it won't sell.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Plus the car was purchased at $43,700 at Manheim auto auctions.

The seller is at 41k w no reserve this is crazy if i did not want ardent red i would be all over this car.

You can get it below retail!!! and below wholesale

I think timing is the factor here. We just had snow last nite not verry appealing to buy an elise and have it sit.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I concur, the color choice was perfect:) however this is a sports car and it's winter. They would do better to sit on it until spring.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think that Ebay sellers are just retracting their auctions (claiming they sold the car, or not giving a reason, just retracting) - I am not sure any low bids with no reserve are ever going to produce a living breathing car. I have been watching the Ebay cars for weeks and have seen some weird things (like the same ID being the high bidder for multiple cars - is this a big scam to up the bid amounts?), cars being put on Ebay multiple times, untitled vehicles supposedly owned by private parties, and the like. I would not be afraid to buy something off Ebay but would definitely meet the person selling before I bought the vehicle. And I wonder if Ebay ever looks into the same exact vehicle being retracted multiple times like that?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I dealt with that San Fran guy back in June. Too much risk. Even then there were lots of withdrawn auctions by that guy and all sorts of seller-favoring proposals. No need for Ebay here, just go after leads you hear about and call the dealers.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Car has been titled 2-3 times already...I agree w/ color combo I was a lead bidder but the price really jumped in the last 2 minutes (over $2,200 jump) here are the details...

NO RESERVE!

2005 LOTUS ELISE. BRP/black with THE TOURING PACKAGE AND THE STAR KIT.

Current bid: US $43,602.02 (Nice bid amount!!)

Get low monthly payments
Time left: 4 secs
7-day listing
Ends Dec-07-04 07:42:09 PST
Start time: Nov-30-04 07:42:09 PST
History: 28 bids (US $1,000.00 starting bid)
High bidder: dlay713 ( 3 )

Congrats to the winner, looks like the seller didn't make out too bad..

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
That's a nice price for a used Elise. If it had the biscuit interior, I would have been tempted... but honestly, for $43,602 I'd rather wait for my brand-new Elise that's been ordered to my specifications.

Bob

·
Registered
970 Posts
not surprising that this car essentially sold at msrp when you include dest. charge and doc fees...the mkt is showing msrp as a target price now for whatever reason(seasonal, novelty wearing off, speculators getting scared, elise not the car for them)...also, this car doesnt have LSS and hardtop which fetches a premium and the color isnt that popular(sorry BRP guys) imho...until March/April, I think we see more of the same and perhaps prices will erode even further....just a matter of time before someone sells below msrp.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>fox valley told me that sometime before spring is over they will be below msrp.... thats their forecast<<<

This can be controlled by Lotus to a large degree. They simply need to adjust the spigot! They have stated before that the car will always have to-order delays. Overseas over the years this has been a matter of months once things settle down. I'm guessing that this might wind up at about 4 months. It's not a car that they should make to stock in my view.

Stan

·
Registered
357 Posts
evomind,

who at Fox Valley told you that, that is interesting news...I guess it doesn't matter if I am on the list or not then because I will be able to buy a turn-down for below MSRP in a few months...hopefully they don't call me to place my order until closer to spring otherwise it will be a tougher choice.

·
Registered
964 Posts
MSRP

Don't forget about the exchange rates. The British Pound is very strong against the world wide weak Dollar. I hear rumors that there will be another price hike very soon because of it. Therefore, if you buy it now or later (with a possible higher MSRP minus Possible? discount) may not make that much of a difference after all. I know from dealing in the exotic car market for a long time that the price always drops from 10 to 15% over the Winter season and goes back up in the Spring. Just a thought. Also there were so many people waiting for this car that someone will buy them sooner or later. I think the 2400/year production number is a very small number. I think Elise sales will not suffer much 'til the next new Lotus arrives. That car may or may not be the Exige and Esprit replacement. Who knows.

We should all forget about how much money people are paying and buying these wonderful cars for or what the dealers are asking. Instead we should be telling people what a wonderful and fun car for the money! Or just go out and drive it and have fun. Who cares how much othr people paid for their cars. You should pay what you want to pay.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Two things:

1) I'm wondering how it is that Hunting Ridge has 19 Elises available for sale. Do they really, or are they listing cars they expect to get? I went to their site and was SHOCKED at the selection. Cudos to Mark for his work getting Snuffy 2 to Rob, but where did he come up with all these Elises???

2) Biscuit interiors are for wussy snobs. :D J/K. BRP with black looks hot, trust me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you look closely at the site only two of them are available for sale the rest are all cars that were already delivered and sold and are on the site for refrence purposes if you want to look at colors and option packages.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Surferjer said:
Two things:

1) I'm wondering how it is that Hunting Ridge has 19 Elises available for sale. Do they really, or are they listing cars they expect to get? I went to their site and was SHOCKED at the selection. Cudos to Mark for his work getting Snuffy 2 to Rob, but where did he come up with all these Elises???

They don't, they currently have one car. They list their deliveries
on the site for some reason I can't understand

Steve

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I think HRM is showing photos of delivered cars, with the tagline to call to place an order. Presumably this is to show prospective buyers all the cool colors this car comes in. Also, it shows off the HRM special edition stuff they will do for their customers.

Chris

1 - 18 of 18 Posts