The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make a front tie-rod end kit that converts the factory integration tie-rods over to spherical bearings (heim joints)? I have searched all over and could find very little information. I am curious as I want to dial in the bump steering by spacing out the tie-rod end link.

Just for reference, here is what part I am talking about. (Stock):

I found this kit in the UK, but there is very little information. It appears to use a make heim joint instead of a female one:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Britain

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Does anyone know the thread pitch of the steering rod? I think I have an extra I can measure tomorrow.

-Britain

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
TREs last longer and are stronger (I'm comparing equal size TRE to heim) why would you want to change them? The couple I used to run on my Jeep never lasted more than a year before they got sloppy enough to make the steering horrible. All top end stuff too, QA1, etc.

·
Registered
685 Posts
But you don't have to remove anything to adjust - you can do it in place..

Does anyone make a front tie-rod end kit that converts the factory integration tie-rods over to spherical bearings (heim joints)? I have searched all over and could find very little information. I am curious as I want to dial in the bump steering by spacing out the tie-rod end link.

Just for reference, here is what part I am talking about. (Stock):

I found this kit in the UK, but there is very little information. It appears to use a make heim joint instead of a female one:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Britain

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I will go into a little more details. I have swaped an entire Lotus Elise suspension into a Porsche 914 and in the process I changed the control arm geometry slightly to further optimize it for race oriented operation. When doing this, I induced a bit of bump steer. I need to compensate for this by moving the outboard tie-rod mount higher in relation to the steering rack. Therefore the stock tie-rod ends will not work because the swagged part of the bolt. I need to come up with a heim-joint rod end solution to be able to space it as necessary.

Here is a picture of my front end to give you a better idea.

-Britain

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But you don't have to remove anything to adjust - you can do it in place..
Roger...you wouldn't have to remove anything on a heim-joint end either. The steering rack rod rotates freely and would toe would be adjusted in the same manner and stock.

-Britain

1 - 8 of 8 Posts