The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
give me my second cam!
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title states. I was just wondering for those of you running high performance all season tires what tire presure are you running for the street? Are you going strickly by the door jamb label or your own preference? Inquiring minds want to to know because I am defenitely no expert. Thanks for any input!:bow:

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
On my Kumhos I run 2 psi less than the door jam rate.

for yours adjust in 2 psi increments.

·
give me my second cam!
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I am running Kumho ecsta asx tires on my Elise and the fronts are 22psi and the rears are at 25psi. I just wanted to make sure I am within the safe range so to speak of the 26psi front and 29 psi rear the factory calls for on the label.

·
give me my second cam!
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the info..I know its probably not a big deal for the street but I sweat the details when it comes to safety items like wheels and tires.:D

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
Dunlop star specs 24 ft 25 rear but i am running 235/45 rear

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
383 Posts
I run the OEM tires with the door jamb rate. I tried lowering it but didn't lack the reduced turn in sharpness.
Lotus spent many many hours optimizing the ride and handling. If you are running the OEM tires, why mess with the door jamb rate?! I think Lotus knows best here.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
I use Lotus door jamb pressures as HOT pressures. Do what it takes to get those numbers hot depending on where and how you drive.

·
give me my second cam!
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
545 Posts
Like many others, I always run the tire pressure for my old Elise slightly below factory recommendations, c. 0.1-0.2 bar. Factory settings are typically ultra conservative.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i run star specs on my car, maybe a pound down from door jamb, cold..

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
But Lotus intends them as cold pressures. Just want to clarify for the OP.
Of all the things Lotus does well, tire pressures isn't one of them. Anyone that has tracked their car knows 26/29 works pretty damn well till you start to specialize suspensions etc.
Try this: Take car out for a typical "drive". When you get back immediately check pressures and adjust to 26/29 hot. Let car cool overnight then check pressures in the morning noting the temp (ideally pyrometer a tire as that is the REAL temp). Use those pressures as baseline and adjust for temp. Trust me car will behave MUCH better on the street.:up:

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I use Lotus door jamb pressures as HOT pressures. Do what it takes to get those numbers hot depending on where and how you drive.
This is what I do at autocross and it seems to work well for me. On the street, I've tried this along with the door jamb pressures and I don't notice a difference.

However, I don't drive all that spirited on the street.

·
give me my second cam!
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again guys! This is all valuable info.:bow:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts