The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I've owened a 2010 Lotus Elise for a little more than 18 months and have loved it. Though I've been eye-balling a new 2011 Burnt Orange Evora and currently trying to decide what is the max I would pay.

I've read the other posts regarding individuals thinking about purchasing an Evora and have collected a lot of good info.

However, there are a couple of things I'm still trying to understand:
The prices I'm seeing for new or very lightly used naturally aspirated 2011 Evoras vary widely - $55K to the high $70's. The price range seems incredibly wide to me. For example, there seems to be a great car in NJ for $58,990 with only 289 miles....and it seems to have all the goodies - forged wheels, tech package, sport ratio gearbox....etc. Can anyone shed light on why prices vary so widely?

Also, how does the Evora hold it's value relative to the Elise?

Finally, has anyone moved from an Elise/Exige to an Evora? Would love to hear what you think!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Too much to type on my phone but I just did the switch a few weeks back so I'll comment at home

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I've had the joy of driving Europa Twin Cam Special, supercharged Elise, and Evora S back to back to back :D

Depends on what floats your boat. Each has distinct advantages and disadvantages.

I'm much more prone to flog the Elise. Abuse her a bit. She likes it.

Evora is great to cruise downtown on Saturday night or take GF on an out of town trip. Evora is like a real car :)

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
So to start..for prices, the wide range is due to the wide range of costs/incentives for dealers out there..each dealer seems to have gotten a different price/different set of incentives and that drives the sales.

People can say "don't pay over 62k" or you "should be paying 55k" but much like the Elise market..none of that really matters-it is what YOU are willing to pay for that particular car, and what the dealer is willing to work at. A good ball park for an 11 NA (there are hardly any 10s left) would be 59-68k...Supercharged models don't have much incentive out there so be ready to pay more.

As far as holding there value..no one really knows as they haven't been out all that long but IMHO they're not great, but will probably drop like the Eliges then peak back up after people realize there aren't many of them floating around. And if you get a steal of a deal, the depreciation isn't nearly as bad.

As for the switch..obviously completely different cars. There were lots of decisions taht drove my purchase..I LOVED the Elise, and agree it was much easier/more comfortable for me to flog, though I have yet to get completely comfortable in the Evora since it's only been a few weeks. The Evora, though offering great feedback, just doesn't have the same instant communication with the driver the Elise does..but not much else does.

Performance otherwise is roughly the same, the Elise is just more "nuanced"...if that makes sense? Pluses and minuses to both, if I could have the Elise steering in the Evora it would be a perfect car.

My Evora is solid, great to drive, fun, gets tons of attention, super quiet (esp coming from an intake/stage 2) and the ride comfort/handling balance is absolutely absurd...words cannot describe it.

I will say that as far as the Lotus quirks and quality issues, coming from the Elise I see it as a drastic improvement, and I am used to Lotus, so it doesn't irritate me terribly so. I know of Gallardo and 430 owners that have niggles and quality issues as well..so for me the car absolutely overshadows it. I can easily see where someone who has never driven/owned a Lotus cross shopped from a 911 or Maser, and is a little annoyed at the end product..

but driving these is a revelation...it sticks, and brakes better than my Elise did.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Follow-up question. Do the warranties transfer with the car (assuming there is warrantly left)?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Yes it does. The warranty always go with the car not the owner. That's the same for all makes and manufactures.
I also switched from a supercharged Elise that was modified to the point of extreme to my NA Evora and honestly in the beginning having a lot less power in the Evora was such a big deal to me. After a while driving the car and getting used to it's handling and overall quality It grow on me. I started changing things little by little and honestly i can't be happier with the car now. I think it will take you a while to get used to it but you'll definitely like it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts