The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2009 Elise just about 2 years, and have not regretted one moment of ownership. I bought mine new, so I've been able to rely on my dealer to address any small issues, and fortunately, there've been very few. It's not my only car, but I do try to drive it daily, though having said that, it has just over 7,000 miles. The running gear is stock, though I've upgraded the interior, as it began life as a Purist, but now has full trim shop interior, as well as marginally better sound system.

The deals available on MY'10 and '11 Evoras however, as others have stated in recent posts, are just ridiculous, with discounts of 15% to nearly 25% apparently, and some of those prices are actually being advertised on line, so this is before final haggling.

For anyone who has gone from an Elise to an Evora, I'd appreciate your thoughts/comments/impressions. My main issue, and negative trade-off, is giving up the open air feeling, though having said that, the number of times I get to do that isn't that many. I assume one positive trade-off is that the Evora is just a little more practical (I know, it's still a Lotus, so practical means in a crazy-insane-British-quirky-way, and not in a Ford way).

I know there are a few posters who have gone this route, and I welcome your input.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, all I can say about going from an Elise to an Evora is I could not wait to get back into my Elise:) Here is the story :-My Elise was in for its Annual service recently and I get on really well with the guys at the garage so when they arranged a loan car is was an 09 MY plate Evora in Pearlescent White. Not having a removeable roof was the first thing that I found a negative about, secondly I felt quite cramped in the seats and struggled to comfortably lower the electric windows unless I really tucked my elbow in! It was quite nice to drive and I think if it is a Grand Tourer you have in mind then you won't be disappointed but the Elise and Evora are worlds apart when it comes down to with what each car offers. Yes I would love one as another Lotus in my garage but when I decided to buy a Lotus last year the Elise was what I wanted in a Lotus. Good luck on your find for one if you do go for it but if you can afford to keep the Elise!!!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I moved up/over? to the Evora just recently. If you are really concerned about the "open air feeling" then the Evora is not for you. When I am driving the Evora it is definately a Coupe and there is not a way to get that top down feeling even with the windows down. The Evora is bigger than the Elise. Yes it does have it's blind spots just like the Elise also. The seats are alot more comfortable on a long drive. And yes you do get all the attention and "Lookie Loos" that he Elise draws. Mine has the small back seat, as they call it. It is great for putting stuff like groceries, small suit cases and NOT adults. Small kids fit ok. There is always the feet problem tho.

I would have to say that the Evora is much more enjoyable driving on the Freeways as my Elise had the Stage 11 exhaust and now I can here my wife talk as we cruise the parkways. He He .

All the attention/questions are the same but I am now hearing the "Is that a Ferrari"? alot more. There is always the , 'How much does that cost?" Ugh.

Try one out and see what you think. I love mine. ;)

·
Registered
409 Posts
For true happiness you need both the Elise and the Evora :p

Since i can't afford both, i kept my bmw Z4, with an "every day drivability" and performance like an Evora, but without the looks and at a fraction of the price (used)

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
Our Elise had changed its character so much as it migrated to track duty that is was pretty awkward on the street. Of course a hard top. Motor mounts and stiffer suspension makes for a great track ride but harsh on street duty.

Evora has an awesome suspension. Goes right over train tracks yet stable when pushed into "Lotus territory" Recently took a female on a 500 mile trip with her accoutrements and two helmets. Impossible in an Elise. Can hear the sound system. Seats so comfortable. People say "It's a car! Can't believe the same company made it"

Don't look forward to replacing tires and I guess about anything else, will be a lot more. Comes with the territory.

Evora just does not look or act or feel like a miniature kit car.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
For true happiness you need both the Elise and the Evora :p

Since i can't afford both, i kept my bmw Z4, with an "every day drivability" and performance like an Evora, but without the looks and at a fraction of the price (used)
When I drove a Z4 a couple years back it did not handle like my Evora... Just say'n.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts