The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering selling my 2008 Aspen White Elise SC in order to upgrade to an Evora but when doing a cursory search on the internet I can't find a comp with under 20k miles as mine only has 5K. My bank thinks it's worth 51K (I know that is wishful thinking) and KBB tells me dealer value is $46k.

So I called up a dealer I have worked with in the past and they are telling me that they would be willing to give $40k for a trade in. Would I be silly to take this offer?

Evora Owners: I am interested in a 2010 evora but would really rather get a 2011 S type if a used low mile one becomes available. What things should I look for in terms of quality issues?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Evora Owners: I am interested in a 2010 evora but would really rather get a 2011 S type if a used low mile one becomes available. What things should I look for in terms of quality issues?
Well it depends primarily on what year. The 2010's will obviously have more issues to deal with, although you'll find quite a few 2010 owners that are completely happy with their purchases.. Then you have a small bunch, myself included, that have all sorts of complaints ranging from the minor to the major (paint rubbing off, water ingress issues, bad clutches). You also have to consider how many miles people have on their cars. I've got almost 30K, while most owners are barely at 10k. Take it for what it's worth. I would highly not recommend a low-mileage 2010s. The original batches of 2010's had faulty throwout bearings but the replacement clutches have been very good. Go for ones that have had lots of things replaced. I'm going on 20k+ miles on my replaced clutch just fine. Most of my new parts replaced are holding up pretty good too. I know first hand the original batch of parts aren't great.

You will find the best deals with the 2010's. If you can find one, low mileage one could probably be had for low to mid 50's but probably not much lower. If you are willing to do the work to get a new clutch, then perhaps it may be worth considering. But if I were in your shoes, I'd look for one with higher mileage where the issues were weeded out (if they have the records for it). You won't know definitively that the later models will be better because most owners don't have many miles on their cars either. We could logically assume it's better (later greater, etc), but we really won't know until the 2011 and 2012 owners have over 20K miles on their cars.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it depends primarily on what year. The 2010's will obviously have more issues to deal with, although you'll find quite a few 2010 owners that are completely happy with their purchases.. Then you have a small bunch, myself included, that have all sorts of complaints ranging from the minor to the major (paint rubbing off, water ingress issues, bad clutches). You also have to consider how many miles people have on their cars. I've got almost 30K, while most owners are barely at 10k. Take it for what it's worth. I would highly not recommend a low-mileage 2010s. The original batches of 2010's had faulty throwout bearings but the replacement clutches have been very good. Go for ones that have had lots of things replaced. I'm going on 20k+ miles on my replaced clutch just fine. Most of my new parts replaced are holding up pretty good too. I know first hand the original batch of parts aren't great.

You will find the best deals with the 2010's. If you can find one, low mileage one could probably be had for low to mid 50's but probably not much lower. If you are willing to do the work to get a new clutch, then perhaps it may be worth considering. But if I were in your shoes, I'd look for one with higher mileage where the issues were weeded out (if they have the records for it). You won't know definitively that the later models will be better because most owners don't have many miles on their cars either. We could logically assume it's better (later greater, etc), but we really won't know until the 2011 and 2012 owners have over 20K miles on their cars.
Wow that helps a lot. Thanks so much! One car I am looking at is a 2010 demo and was told that it comes with a full 3 year warranty. Given the distance I live from the dealership (180 miles) I don't think having to deal with issues when I plan to use the car as a daily driver would be ideal. I might still look at it but keep these issues in mind.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
55k depending on which year, model, and dealer you go with...I just made the switch in early july...there are deals to be had but they are drying up fast.

for the one 10 you found, make sur ethe dealer didn't punch the warranty card to get it off their books or you might have less than 3 years. I bought my 10 and it had been punched so I only have 2 years and 32k (now) left on the warranty.

I love my car. I'll grab another elise one day, but the evora is a great car...and for the most part quality is good. If you're looking for an S be prepared to pay..there aren't nearly as many incentives, though you can still get a good deal relative to original MSRP..probably low 70s...NA for an 11 look high 50s to low 60s...

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,491 Posts
And penguins should fly... Sadly, neither is the case.

Be realistic.... :thwack:
Realistically I wouldn't advise paying more than 55K. Honestly, I personally wouldn't pay that much, but that's a different subject entirely. Part of the reason is I've read your less-than-flattering real-world experiences with the model. I appreciate your candor.

San

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went up to Salt Lake City yesterday and test drove the only evora at the lotus dealership there. I really liked the car and would love to have one. The evora is a 2010 demo with 180 miles.

I asked about the throwout bearing and other issues that squidward listed but they either had no idea what I was talking about or were playing dumb.
Besides the evora they had 2 211s and nothing else lotus-wise. I asked the salesman why their inventory is so low and he explained that Ferrari is really pushing their exclusivity clause in the franchise contract requiring that all non ferrari inventory be displayed in it's own structure, with separate phone lines, etc. so they are getting out of lotus. Ughh!

I went and looked up norm baker motor company (where I bought my elise) on the web and their website forwards to a blank page at dealershipblackhole.com and it appears they are no longer in business. I do see another dealer in Vegas called courtesy lotus and was wondering if anyone out there has had experience with them.

Maybe this isn't going to happen after all. Seems to be a lot of changes with the dealership network and that scares me.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I went up to Salt Lake City yesterday and test drove the only evora at the lotus dealership there. I really liked the car and would love to have one. The evora is a 2010 demo with 180 miles.

I asked about the throwout bearing and other issues that squidward listed but they either had no idea what I was talking about or were playing dumb.
Besides the evora they had 2 211s and nothing else lotus-wise. I asked the salesman why their inventory is so low and he explained that Ferrari is really pushing their exclusivity clause in the franchise contract requiring that all non ferrari inventory be displayed in it's own structure, with separate phone lines, etc. so they are getting out of lotus. Ughh!

I went and looked up norm baker motor company (where I bought my elise) on the web and their website forwards to a blank page at dealershipblackhole.com and it appears they are no longer in business. I do see another dealer in Vegas called courtesy lotus and was wondering if anyone out there has had experience with them.

Maybe this isn't going to happen after all. Seems to be a lot of changes with the dealership network and that scares me.
JJ,

Yes, Norm Baker went out of business last summer.. I'm unfamiliar with Courtesy Lotus, but it looks like they're located in the Valley Automall in Henderson. Courtesy's specialty in the past was with Kia, Mazda, and Mitsu cars so this whole Lotus thing must be VERY new to them. If I'm in that part of town, I'll swing by and check them out. Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Norm Baker were a bunch of friggin sleeze balls... they told me i was buying a press car that was being sold to me as a new car, I would be the original owner, and that i was getting full warranttee (minus mileage) and the Lotus track day and class associated with the purchase (a promotion lotus had going in late 2006). While it was a press car, the reality was that they wrote it up and sold it to me as a used car, warranttee had started 8 months prior, and they never once called lotus to set-up the track day/class for me because used cars didn't apply. Oh, and the red leather interior i paid them to install turned out to be vinyl. They guy that sold me my car was busy telling me stories of how he would shill bid his cars at auctions.

The only silver lining was that Lotus still gave me the track day/class anyway because of the debacle, and when i noticed that they were trying to slip by me that the soft top was destroyed (it had the hard top on it for pick-up) i ended up getting a padded Touring pack soft top in place of the base soft top.

Long story short, get the warranttee information/status directly from lotus on the car. DO NOT listen to what the dealer tells you. It may have changed but part of my learning in the process was that lotus (in 2006) had a policy of automatically started the warranttee clock on the car after so many months so even if the dealer does nothing, it's gonna get started regardless. Sure It's possible that the dealer might be able to negotiate a re-start but make sure you've get the warranttee status direct from lotus or you may be sadly suprised.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
According to the system, Steve Harris Import in Utah and Rothrock in Pennsylvania are the only (2) dealers with new 2010 Lotus Evora 2+2 in stock meaning the warranty hasn't been punched/started yet.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JJ,

Yes, Norm Baker went out of business last summer.. I'm unfamiliar with Courtesy Lotus, but it looks like they're located in the Valley Automall in Henderson. Courtesy's specialty in the past was with Kia, Mazda, and Mitsu cars so this whole Lotus thing must be VERY new to them. If I'm in that part of town, I'll swing by and check them out. Good luck in your search!
Thinking about heading down to courtesy in the next week or two. Would be interested to get your take on this place if you happen to get there before me.

Thx for the offer. Where do you go to get service for your lotus now or did you even ever use Norm Baker?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Similar horrible experience with Norm Baker. Flew to Vegas from San Diego with plan to drive the car back. Car was scratched significantly. Told that I couldnt expect a lotus to be perfect, then told that a lot of Lotus cars came damaged and it was because they only cared about performance and not paint. Amazingly lame. Make sure that courtesy is not the same cast of characters. Worst scum bags I have ever dealt with in my 20+ years of car buying/selling. Glad they went out of business. Well deserved.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thinking about heading down to courtesy in the next week or two. Would be interested to get your take on this place if you happen to get there before me.

Thx for the offer. Where do you go to get service for your lotus now or did you even ever use Norm Baker?
JJ, I used Norm Baker once when I first purchased my Elise (needed an oil change and a 2nd inspection), the mechanic was great, the salesman and the prices not so much. I've been referred to C.A.R.S. by a friend at work and they've been outstanding!! If you need service in Las Vegas, these are definitely the guys to see. :up:

ETA, Courtesy Lotus is in the far north west part of the valley on Centennial Blvd, not in Henderson as I originally thought. (Sorry for the confusion).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Stopped in after hours on the way home.. the Lotus wing of the dealership looks new, but legit, plenty of Evora's. Here are some pics:

What Lotus yellow reminds me of:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks El! Didn't think I'd be a fan of yellow but with those black wheels I kind of like it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm usually not a fan of the bright colors, but the yellow did look good! I thought the 240 was outstanding, they also have a limited edition Elise that looks clean too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A few weeks back I made an offer for the 2011 yellow Evora at courtesy which would have been $60k including trade-in value. I thought that was decent considering no technology pack and that the yellow/w black interior was a bit down on the list of preferred colors. Their counter offer was over $1K higher than the original one they gave me w/trade-in.

I should mention that I had asked them to install cruise control and an aftermarket backup camera which they said they would do for $1000 and the salesman claimed would normally run $2200. So the original asking price + upgrades would have brought their total price prior to negotiating to $64,900. I've never had a counter offer come back where it was more than original asking price. Either the salesman mucked up his numbers, was annoyed that I had the gall to negotiate a price or was hoping I wasn't paying attention. I thanked him for his time and told him I'd look elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts