The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 Elise that needs both front and rear clams. I was considering replacing them with Exige clams. I would appreciate information from anyone who has done or attempted this.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Just a forewarning - the Exige rear clam requires many more parts than the Elise clam. So a conversion will cost you about $4500+ in parts alone.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Beside the items related to the rear hatch and spoiler... what are other parts?
Rear hatch cover is something like $900, all the kidney grills are $60-90 each, spoiler is $900, rear latch and cable assembly, et cetera. It's a 4-page parts manifest - I sh*t you not.

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have done it. Not to mention the backlog on getting all the miscellaneous parts...

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Rear hatch cover is something like $900, all the kidney grills are $60-90 each, spoiler is $900, rear latch and cable assembly, et cetera. It's a 4-page parts manifest - I sh*t you not.
Wow, I didn't even know the spoiler came separately from the hatch. And the grilles?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Just a forewarning - the Exige rear clam requires many more parts than the Elise clam. So a conversion will cost you about $4500+ in parts alone.
yikes.
at that price, I say keep with the elise form, keep the rear visibility, and throw in a supercharger!

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Those (the rocker panels) and the doors are the only body panels that are common between the Elise and the Exige.

?? Really? I was told it needed to be changed or moved or something to accommodate the different dimensions of the Exige front clam. I did some research on the topic (actually posted a thread I think) when I had my clam replaced.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
?? Really? I was told it needed to be changed or moved or something to accommodate the different dimensions of the Exige front clam. I did some research on the topic (actually posted a thread I think) when I had my clam replaced.
You're thinking about the fender panel behind the front wheel. The actual rocker arms are part essentially of the chassis - hence the reason that they (or the foam) really can't be replaced.

·
Registered
407 Posts
i would suggest elise rear, and exige front,

im looking at doing that myself, however need to find someone who wants a perfect condition new elise front clam before i pony up any money for an exige clam.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
The door hinge access panels (between the door and the front wheel opening) need to be changed...and they are ridiculously expensive! The rocker panels are the same and are bonded to the chassis, so not easy to replace even when necessary.

Edit: Oops, I missed John's post saying essentially the same thing.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
I have/had the opportunity to do this as well on an '05 Elise that had some damage on the front clam...I was going to replace the front clam with an Exige clam. SCC in L.A. has done some of these conversions quite successfully - they basically told me that I would have to buy 4 extra parts (door access panels, etc...), and the cost would prob. run around $3k or thereabouts...I decided against this to spend the $ in other mods....stuck with the new Elise clam - but will be getting Exige mesh...

I also asked others what advantage the Exige clam has...
1) wider/flared look - prob. most Lotus owners would notice, non-Lotus owners may not
2) bottom front spoiler (saves scraping the front clam as in the Elise having no protection)
3) fiberglass of better strength cf. to Elise fiberglass
4) Exige mesh

I wouldnt do the rear conversion due to decreased rear visibility....just my thoughts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts