The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm most likely going from a 2005 elise with touring pack to a 2008 s240 with touring and track packs. I'm going to be driving mostly street driving /country roads etc. how soft can I make the ride with the adjustable track pack shocks ? Can it be made almost as soft as the elise? What other pros & cons /upgrades stand out between the two? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have had both cars. LSS Elise and s240 with track pack. I preferred the LSS over the track pack. Track pack is very, very bouncy, there is not a good transitional load. You toss it over to full load and issue is if you hit a bump it unsettles car. Even with settings set soft its bouncy.

I went v2 nitron triples and the ride is so much better and the handling is crazy good.

Don't buy an s240 for the track pack, but for looks, power and other features.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Never driven the Elise, but I don't think the ride on my Exige is that harsh. I mean its a sports car, so you should expect it to be harsher than a Lexus, but it's softer than the C4 Corvette I had in high school. Really don't know why it gets such a bad reputation for a harsh ride. Just one man's opinion though.

·
Registered
712 Posts
All that I know, life changes after you upgrade the dampers on the Elise. Comparing my Ohlins to my friends track pack set up isn't fair when it comes to ride comfort.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I didnt know what to expect . the track pack happens to be on the Exige I'm buying this week. Got a beauty 2008 s240 with a garage queen 1,600 miles on it! So nitron triples will give me a good road/ street ride ...a lot better than stock if adjusted right ? Also on stock shocks how easy is it to adjust them?

·
Registered
712 Posts
You're right, a much better ride. If I'm not mistaken the track pack should allow you to adjust your ride height though.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
There's this particular stretch of highway that is mildly but noticeably bumpy on average cars. The first months or two I had my Exige, I could feel my eye balls bouncing up and down in my skull.
Needless to say, I had to turn the shocks down to one~three clicks from soft.

The stock Bilstein track pack shocks I have are very easy to adjust. Lie down on your back, and reach in and turn the adjusters around the bottom of the shocks. It only takes a minute or two at most.

Here's my video of the worst case scenario:
Stiff shock setting + improperly inflated tires + beat up country road.
The slightly high pitched rattling noise is just my lens filter coming loose, not the car.

At softer settings, it's not bad but just bouncy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've had mine for 2 months now and only drove it twice do to snow storm after snow storm. When I did drove it harsh did come to my mind. I think there set on 7 right now that video above of the softer ride you had it set to 1? Do you always have it set to 1 for street driving?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I've had mine for 2 months now and only drove it twice do to snow storm after snow storm. When I did drove it harsh did come to my mind. I think there set on 7 right now that video above of the softer ride you had it set to 1? Do you always have it set to 1 for street driving?
Between 1-3 depending on how I feel like it and what kind of driving I want to do. 5 is definitely doable on smooth road surfaces. Anything higher I found it skittish and it's easy to upset the balance. I'm sure it all depends on circumstances and skill level, though.

The problem is that the track pack only lets you adjust rebound. It's bump I want to adjust, but I gotta work with what I have...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have an Elise with a set of Exige Track Pack adjustable shocks on it. It's fine on the street at soft to medium settings.

I notice a huge difference with the Re11 tires though compared to softer tires I've also run. On the 205/45/16 front Re11, the harsh edged bumps can be a real jolt. You'll want to pick tires carefully as well in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I have my track pack shocks set to nearly their stiffest setting and still find them to be more comfortable than lss. The springs are progressive a bit. I don't find them uncomfortable

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm turning mine down to 3 and see what difference that makes its a pretty rough ride right now. If the snow ever melts maybe I'll be able to drive it can't wait till spring.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok dumb question When i go to adjust the shock stiffness which position is the set number? The number facing outward toward the rotor?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts