The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just decided it's time to replace the original trans on our Elise. We have about 23,000 miles, about 9,000 on track. I learned heel toe on this trans. Poor thing has done really really well. Fourth gear has become harder and harder to hold, but has gone on to synchro heaven TADTS

So options. Track only car. Yeah a full sequential would be nice, I love left foot braking. But I'm chasing skirt a lot these days and need the money for that :rolleyes:

Sector wants $1800 with a core exchange for a rebuilt stock. Monkey Wrench has many options and ratios but $6-8000.

Just doing track days no real racing or time trials or dead serious stuff, but some more track oriented ratios might be fun. Hit VIR and Road Atlanta regularly so we do have some high speed straights.

What else has anyone done?

·
He's on fire!
3,342 Posts
sad to see no answers here. MWR has a variety of options too:

- stock
- stock with different final drive
- 3/4 gear sets
- close ratio gear sets
- E153
- close ratio for E153

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
For a stock elise, the 3/4 gear swap isn't going to do you an favors or increase the fun...

The CR Kaaz gear set is a blast to drive. Shorten the FD and grin ear to ear. We send all our syncro boxes to Jeff at Official Transaxle Engineering Home Page in CA. I don't think there's any point in sending a box anywhere else for a rebuild. He mags all the gears, puts his special TLC into the assembly and syncros to make the yota tranny a better part than it came. Send him your tranny and tell him what you want and he'll build it accordingly.

It doesn't sound like a dog box is what you're looking for...

-Phil

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
That's next on my list Bob....... See ya at RA!

Thanks for the input Phil!

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I have a stock Toyo gearbox here in the living room. Sector cables in the mail. GP we're gonna get this together for RA in 2 weeks.

Will probably follow Phil's lead to rebuild the original trans.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am local to Jeff at Transaxle. I have dealt with for years. He has always delivered a good product at a fair price.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Should be easier than the bushings looking at it.

Just curious, what did the stock GBX run you? And what is the Toyo part number?

Please post all mods, addititions etc....you use when you rebuild the other one.

Should have the Exige off stands tomorrow and can bed the brakes, waiting on tune from Phil this week.

See you at RA!

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the basic stock unit in yesterday. Took about 5 hours, plus another figuring out the the Sector upgrade cables don't work with LETSLA or a B&M shifter. Bummer.

Cost about $2400 shipped, plus fluids (again) from MonkeyWrench. And they got it to my door fast.

·
Illegal Alien
5,258 Posts
... We send all our syncro boxes to Jeff at Official Transaxle Engineering Home Page in CA. I don't think there's any point in sending a box anywhere else for a rebuild. He mags all the gears, puts his special TLC into the assembly and syncros to make the yota tranny a better part than it came. Send him your tranny and tell him what you want and he'll build it accordingly...-Phil
Added that contact to my favorites

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Subscribing as I'm about to begin a similar search I'm afraid. After going big power last summer (360whp) my rebuilt (by the afore mentioned Jeff) with ugpraded 3/4th JUBU gears is already "making noises". It's got me afraid that it's going to go at some point this season, something I sorta short changed on when I did the big build (just couldn't stomach it at the time). So I'm starting to look at a sequential, if I'm going to go something bigger/expensive than what I have now that seems the next logical step.

Explain to me why (if) that means that she'll no longer be streetable. I've heard once you go with one of these types of sequentials that you pretty much have to drive flat all the time to keep the trans engaged. So basically they just pop out of gear at just crusing speed. I suppose that would be my cars last transformation into full track car huh??

I know there are several threads on the sequential options so I'll go do some searching. If anyone has any cross links that would be good go right ahead.

Bob/Gun I sure wish I was hitting RA or VIR with you this season. While I hope to do that again I fear it'll be several years at least. If you guys ever make plans to come west we should meet in Tulsa at Hallett (you could hit Barber on your way there/back too!)

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Will do Ross. If I get up to CO this year I'll let you know.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes would be great to see you and Daisy again.

I'd love a sequential, could left foot brake all the time. Have never driven one though.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I am in the same boat about needing a new trans but not sure what to do. Thats good to know about the JUJU gears and glad to have a name of a place that does good work.

I've subscribed

·
Registered
846 Posts
Subscribing as I'm about to begin a similar search I'm afraid. After going big power last summer (360whp) my rebuilt (by the afore mentioned Jeff) with ugpraded 3/4th JUBU gears is already "making noises". It's got me afraid that it's going to go at some point this season, something I sorta short changed on when I did the big build (just couldn't stomach it at the time). So I'm starting to look at a sequential, if I'm going to go something bigger/expensive than what I have now that seems the next logical step.

Explain to me why (if) that means that she'll no longer be streetable. I've heard once you go with one of these types of sequentials that you pretty much have to drive flat all the time to keep the trans engaged. So basically they just pop out of gear at just crusing speed. I suppose that would be my cars last transformation into full track car huh??

I know there are several threads on the sequential options so I'll go do some searching. If anyone has any cross links that would be good go right ahead.
...snip...
I have a sequential, and while the car spends most of its life at the track, it is still registered and makes an occasional visits to the public roads every month.

You do not need to drive a sequential flat out to keep it in gear, I can and do putter around shifting at < 4K all the time.

They do not pop out of gear (assuming the gearbox isn't damaged)

There's plenty of threads out there discussing the reasons you could or wouldn't want a sequential on a street car, I'm not going to get into that here.

Just wanted to address your gear popping concerns.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts