The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the update at this point. I am going to get the car done at monkeywrench tuning in Michigan. I am finalizing the contract deals this weeks and the car should go in by the end of November to be reborn 6-8 weeks later.

The guys at www.monkeywrenchracing.com have been awsome. Finalizing contract deals this week. They have one of the best prices around. Sub 4000 turbo kits installed and tuned with a standalone fuel system. Mine is 3500 dollars, or there about because I want to retain the stock ECU. I also want to have a boost guage becasue i think it is cheap insurance since the max boost will be 5-6 PSI, even a small short problem allowing boost to creep up a few PSI would be cataclismic. I can not validate these prices for future customers since they will give me everything taht is needed and not accounted for...get this...FREE. They have an excellent supplier relationship and can get everything at LOW prices. I was astonished to find out how cheap these parts really are. Don't be fooled, no one pays retail for these things. I think the target boost will be around 5 PSI, tuned on 93 octane gas. It will not be a HP monster, as that is not what I am after.

There will be a new ACT clutch rated to 233 lb-ft. New injectors and fuel pressure regulator. Garrett GT28R turbo. Custom air to water intercooler. All other assorted parts and accessories like custom exhaust/intake. Peak hp at the crank is aimed for about 250 to be on the safe side. If we could get more than 210 wheel hp, I would be very pleased, although I am aiming for the mid range power that is really laking for this car.

The have experience, and that is a rare thing. Anyone interested in the specifics PM me. I have them all, but don't want to bore everyone about it. Another thing, they don't start wrking on cars untill all of the necessary parts are in stock. A rare thing that only an EXPERIENCED company could hope to acomplish.

I can't wait to tell you more. I expect the full contract signed and a list of parts and work order agreement byt eh end of the week. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sounds pretty exciting, I hope this goes well. I really, really doubt you will bore anybody with the details...posting them could prevent a lot of extra email!

What improvements in torque is monkeywrench expecting?

More waiting....I'm not sure I could take it. Please keep us informed of the progress.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the lowest 0-60 time for a produciton car is 3.9 for a lambroghini Murcielliego. I am hopeful that I can meet or beat this number. but it might take stickier tires in back. If I add 70 hp and any significant amount of torque, It should accelerate like a rocket. With the existing MR set up, Weight transfer should allow hard take offs. I know that the sub 4 second mark might not be possible, depending on which magazine report you believe. 0-60 has been tested anywhere from 4.4. to 5.1; a large margin. What I do know is that good accerlaration numbers will be easier to achieve an no longer require high RPM drops.

Of course If I got the engine sleeved and reduced the compression to 8.8 and ran a lot of boost, performance would be even better, but shish, that is a lot of work and money. ;)

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
The car at 250-260hp should run the 1/4 mile in about 12.0-12.2 seconds depending on tires conditions etc. Thats not to shabby regardless of what cars you want to put it up against.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
MikeAR303 said:
That still doesn't make any sense.

The Murcielago roadster isn't even in production yet.
It is in produciton, and has been tested. It might not be for sale yet in the US, but will be shortly. It offers the same 580 hp V-12 and a claimed 0-60 in 3.9 seconds. It also claims a 205 MPH top speed.

Arguing about the details of a super exotic car like this is irrelevent. The point was that I think that the Elise with a little more hp will offer acceleration that will rank with its already "best sports car in the wrold" handeling.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>offer acceleration that will rank with its already "best sports car in the wrold" handeling.<<<

But the addition of the turbo may affect the handling... In terms of the throttle response, boost kicking in, and higher torque.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OneFastLotus said:
Tom, when did you get your car?
The can now has 3000 miles on it. I got it a few months ago I suppose. Remember that a 12 second car, while by no means a drag car, is a hell of a fast car. For a RWD car, 12 seconds is not bad at all, especially considering its rear suspension set up.

Also, teh matter of Upseting the balance of the car is over done in my opinion. Remember that every galln of gas weights 7 pounds. That means that a full tank of gas has 59 pounds of fluid sloshing around. Yet the addition of maybe 20 pounds of parts is in some people's minds catechlismic. i appreciate the attention to weight, and the suspension characteristics of our car - that is what gives it its personality. However, A turbocharger will not kill the car. Torque is what the car needs, not something that should be feared. While I agree that it might not need 200+ lb-ft at 2000 RPM, it needs something more than the 100 lb-ft it has for most of the RPM band.

A properly sized turbo which mine wil be since it is putting out a low 5-6 PSI will have almost zero lag at 3000 RPM. Full boost should hit between 2500 and 2900 RPM. Anything above these RPMs and lag wil be measured in fractions of a second, like 0.25 seconds. That is managable to me, and I am familiar with turbocharged cars. They are not the monsters they used to be. The new garrett turbos are very responsive even in large applications. This one will be too. Remember, it is not like I am adding something that is going to snap the axles, just a little kick down low.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Oops...edited and reposted.

I had someone PM me asking why I would post in a discussion about turbo cars since I dont have a turbo car or seem to have driven a turbo car. Perhaps you should do your homework before you ask me that again. :huh:

Let me run down our turbo cars.

My supercharged V8 monster miata did 0-60 in 3.6 seconds (posted times from MM) but it wasnt "production". 400lb feet at only 2500rpm. Hard to keep traction BUT it had so much power that you could give it up with wheelspin and STILL manage a fast time...and Im talking autocross NOT drag. Had revalved koni's/coilovers on it. Handled quite well after some tweaking with spring rates up front.

My turbo miata runs 10.9 seconds at 132mph in the quarter, but it didnt have the big turbo strapped to it when I purchased it ;) Has revalved koni's on it but the turbo is too big to be good for autocross.

Our turbocharged SM2 miata has 250rwhp is autocross specific sets FTD for fendered cars in several regions AND runs low 12's. Very streetable FUN car.

We have a 700rwhp single turbo RX7. Good for only one thing.

We have a 450rwhp twin turbo rx7 purpose built for autocross. Also an FTD setter AND and ran 11's in the Quarter. Very streetable AND multipurpose.

We have a turbocharged mini cooper isnt good for autocross because the turbo is too big by design in order to keep from ripping the tranny out.

We also have a stock 3rd gen RX7 with stock turbos but wired to hit at once instead of sequentially.

So, uh, yeah, I've driven a turbo car. :)

I think the elise will handle just fine with a turbo. I dont believe its going to be such a big deal.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Mean TT said:

Also, the matter of Upseting the balance of the car is over done in my opinion.
I don't think the weight will be an issue at all. The entire kit should be between 20 to 40 pounds. Also, the turbo model, boost pressure, intercooler type, and ECU you have selected are optimal for a turbo installation in the Elise. The proposed turbo design will provide little if any lag and should spool up at a suitably low RPM.

I think the only issue may be too much power and not enough traction ... No worries as long as you are precise with the gas pedal.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My biggest concern is the driveline. It is well known that turbos are a little bit easier on the driveline than SCs. Also, A little more kick in the mid range would be ideal. My biggest concern of course is the engine, making sure that it is up to the task of supercharging for 80,000 miles before a tear down.

My greatest fear is one it is completed things like:

1. Valet

2. Young people saying things like, "Wow dude its got a turbo!!"

3. The additional look when there is a blow off noise in addition to a red Elise going by.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Also, teh matter of Upseting the balance of the car is over done in my opinion. Remember that every galln of gas weights 7 pounds. That means that a full tank of gas has 59 pounds of fluid sloshing around. Yet the addition of maybe 20 pounds of parts is in some people's minds catechlismic.<<<

I don't think the extra weight will prove cataclysmic. I'm talking about the balance of the car as in driving it. If you can't balance the car in a corner with a given throttle opening and be able to feed it in properly coming out of a turn you will have hurt the balance of the car. As in gaining straightline capability at the expense of being able to drive through a series of corners properly.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stan said:

I don't think the extra weight will prove cataclysmic. I'm talking about the balance of the car as in driving it. If you can't balance the car in a corner with a given throttle opening and be able to feed it in properly coming out of a turn you will have hurt the balance of the car. As in gaining straightline capability at the expense of being able to drive through a series of corners properly.
I don't see how having more potential HP will damage anything. This same argument could be made that the additional hp would upset the balance of the car when the toyota engine was added from the original 120 hp Rover K series. You are right in assuming that you might need more control are finess, but that can be said about any car. I understand you point, however, it could be expanded upon any car where more hp is added.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts