The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered turn indicators from Elise Parts, but they said they have been back ordered for a year and Lotus has nobodies when they will get them again.
Does anyone know where I can find a set of these? They are the indicators right near the headlight for an 05 Elise

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
I ordered turn indicators from Elise Parts, but they said they have been back ordered for a year and Lotus has nobodies when they will get them again.
Does anyone know where I can find a set of these? They are the indicators right near the headlight for an 05 Elise
I have been told, by a reliable source, that Lotus has no plans at the moment to have any made because of the quantity that they have to purchase. Just to clarify, you just talked to Elise Parts and confirmed that they have no stock?

Thanks,
Eldon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I was able to actually order them, then they wrote me an email saying they were seriously back ordered and have no ETA

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Is yours gone or completely smashed? There are threads about repairing the retaining clip.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had a bit of an accident this summer and one of the signal lights on my 2010 Elise was damaged... body shop in Vancouver said it was an 8 month back order wait. That was back in September.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Is there an arm at Lotus USA or Lotus UK that we can twist to impress the need for these parts? Does anyone know who the part manufacturer is for the indicator lenses? Is it possible for a small shop to make them? I don't like the idea of having to just garage my car until the demand grows large enough.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there an arm at Lotus USA or Lotus UK that we can twist to impress the need for these parts? Does anyone know who the part manufacturer is for the indicator lenses? Is it possible for a small shop to make them? I don't like the idea of having to just garage my car until the demand grows large enough.
You’ll be waiting for years for indicators like I have. Lotus won’t make them again. I think the only way to get these again is if someone owns a 3D printers and does it.

·
Registered
626 Posts
[...] I think the only way to get these again is if someone owns a 3D printers and does it.
In order to print these, we need a CAD model. The geometry of the turn signal is complicated and I do not know how to measure or draw these properly. In order to shortcut this part of the process, I made a 3D scan of a right side turn signal housing that I have laying around.

My scanner works with the technology in the 1st gen Microsoft Kinect, and produces a rather poor quality model. The tolerance is something like +- 2mm. I tried to clean up the light bulb socket a bit, but the rest of the model is a bit swollen.

Also, the turn signal housings that I have access to all have the lens installed, so the 3D model does not have a proper cavity (I shrank a portion of the scan and cut the center of the model in order to achieve a cavity). If someone has a turn indicator housing without the lens, I would like to have an opportunity to scan that part (I don't want to try to pull apart the lenses that I have).

I have not tested the model by printing, but this is at least a start for finding a way to retain access to this component. I'm not sure what procedure would be best for making a lens, though. Most DIY hobbyiests do not have access to injection moulding machines, so the OE route is hard to replicate.

·
`08 Elise-SC-220
505 Posts
@85percent85 ,
I took the liberty of creating a ticket with <[email protected]>
[Ticket number #759644] - After-market solution for 2005 Lotus Elise front indicators / lenses
So, we'll see what happens on that front. I will post any updates. "This is currently under review with our support team."

Speculation: Would it be practical to glass over the ovals where the present indicators live and upgrade to the new headlamp assy's with the indicators built in? BIG job I imagine but desperate times call for desperate measures...

·
Registered
61 Posts
@85percent85 ,
I took the liberty of creating a ticket with <[email protected]>
[Ticket number #759644] - After-market solution for 2005 Lotus Elise front indicators / lenses
So, we'll see what happens on that front. I will post any updates. "This is currently under review with our support team."

Speculation: Would it be practical to glass over the ovals where the present indicators live and upgrade to the new headlamp assy's with the indicators built in? BIG job I imagine but desperate times call for desperate measures...
This is what I did. The indicators were filled in when I got the Clam done, And indicators were added inside my headlight housings. Its a lot unless you are already doing work on the front clam. In my opinion it actually looks better as well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
As I recounted in another thread, allowing a vendor to take your money and then wait over 120 days eliminates your ability to dispute a credit card charge. Not saying that this vendor is unreasonable, but others have been.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts