The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
I think that the news of the death of this item is frequently exaggerated

Check with a dealer often

I bought one in june of 17 when the reports were similar.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
My scanner works with the technology in the 1st gen Microsoft Kinect, and produces a rather poor quality model. The tolerance is something like +- 2mm. I tried to clean up the light bulb socket a bit, but the rest of the model is a bit swollen.

Also, the turn signal housings that I have access to all have the lens installed, so the 3D model does not have a proper cavity (I shrank a portion of the scan and cut the center of the model in order to achieve a cavity). If someone has a turn indicator housing without the lens, I would like to have an opportunity to scan that part (I don't want to try to pull apart the lenses that I have).

most CAD programs have a 'shell' function where you can take a surface and make it thicker, or a solid and make it hollow

·
Registered
733 Posts
@exigegus thank you for taking the time to look at it. even if we can still get parts from Lotus in the future, i think it's good to have a back up plan in case things don't go on easily. in the very least, CAD models can be a starting point for other aftermarket parts (LED turn signals, for instance, would not need the projector cavity, but would still need the oval shape).

the cad files that i shared included the .stl mesh, the .step model, and a full, editable FreeCAD .FCstd file.

·
Premium Member
2,841 Posts
If someone can create these and they are of good quality, I’d be in for a group buy. Even if you could procure a factory piece, they are quite costly for what they are.
@exigegus did you buy one from AMNE?
If so, I’ll give Steve a call.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
I did, was 2 years ago, but posters were just as sure they were unobtanium then

they cost not much different from many other cars now
I remember paying 70 bucks for a corner marker for an 84 Honda in 1992 and thought it outrageous but what were my options....

If someone can create these and they are of good quality, I’d be in for a group buy. Even if you could procure a factory piece, they are quite costly for what they are.
@exigegus did you buy one from AMNE?
If so, I’ll give Steve a call.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Starting to look at this as we have several 3D printers to play with. What is a decent method to remove the lens? We can 3D scan as well. I downloaded the file and will see if they can be used.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Starting to look at this as we have several 3D printers to play with. What is a decent method to remove the lens? We can 3D scan as well. I downloaded the file and will see if they can be used.
Where are you located? I could send you my RH because I need a LH. I am assuming the parts are mirror image of each other.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Most of us missing only LH or RH would likely purchase both LH and RH in a group buy to have matching set~ That doubles the demand right there

·
Administrator
2,040 Posts
Humm ideas like this are looking better and better if Lotus doesn't find a new supplier soon.

Reactions: 6TVRs+ and darkSol

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Where are you located? I could send you my RH because I need a LH. I am assuming the parts are mirror image of each other.
I'm In WI. Do you have the broken one too? I could try to break that one apart to see if I can figure out the 2 different pieces.

Most of us missing only LH or RH would likely purchase both LH and RH in a group buy to have matching set~ That doubles the demand right there
This only matters on the way they are produced. With 3D printing, making 2 costs double making one. Not really any savings.

Humm ideas like this are looking better and better if Lotus doesn't find a new supplier soon.
Definitely looking into thinks like that. A new SLA printer we have can print pretty large objects (possibly a full headlight) but the clarity isn't there for clear objects. A set-up like this might be a neat thing.

·
Administrator
2,040 Posts
Where's the chinese counterfeiters when you need them? I'd even be happy to pay extra tariff just to get them without hassle of having to make them. On another note Harbour Freight 1 gal pressure pot is cheapest around if you do have to resort to making mold and pour your own.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I know someone who models and 3D prints star wars replica helmets/costumes.. I might reach out to them and ask if they want to take on this job hah

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey all, new here. I was directed here by a user in a facebook 3d printing group I'm a part of.

I could definitely reproduce these parts to almost factory spec. I'd need to get ahold of one to do a high-res 3d scan of it. We recently did a high res 3d scan of a GM dashboard that turned out great.

and a picture of an optically clear print we recently did. This method would be perfect for the actual lens part.

Someone can feel free to PM me if this is something the forum would be interested in pursuing.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Hopefully someone has spare lights sitting around to send to him. With the amount of requests for these, I would definitely pick up a spare set just in case. Subscribing!

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I've been looking at mine to do a 3D scan and then print. (have all equipment as well). Has anyone determined a non-destructible way of separating the 2 parts that are bonded together? Otherwise we would have to sacrifice 2 lights, one to break the lens and scan the housing, then another to break the housing and scan the lights.

·
Registered
733 Posts
i think the common way of opening headlight housings is applicable here: heat the housing to soften the glue, then pull them apart. afterwards, a reheat could be used to reassemble.

Finding the right temperature is the trouble part, i guess. maybe start at a mild 100C/ and work your way upward in time or temperature.

21 - 40 of 105 Posts