The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Somewhere there must be multiple incomplete lenses that could be digitized and digitally combined to make complete unit. No working unit should be broken to get the model. I have reached out to those I know that might have carcasses. I have not been successful to acquire the remnants. I am even willing to pay for the broken parts to get this project going. The track guys may also have them somewhere. In the old forum, we could create polls or surveys. If we could ennumerate the need, we might get a better response to this project.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
You the man @LotusCC !!! Looking forward to the results.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Cool. We have one set out. If anyone else has broken pieces, let me know. I will buy them as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all,

Great news! The scans have turned out more than useable. I still need to do final cleanup on them, and then manually convert them into CAD files for printing/machining. Will keep this thread updated as i go.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looking good! I guess when you get to the point of printing it out, will the material be more robust than the stock plastic, or will you modify the clip so that it holds up better than the stock one?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Spooling is referring to this clip, it is prone to break - and is why we all need replacement lights!

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
What I was going to do for the problem clip if i got it to this point was to model in an area to locate 2 small nuts and a metal tab (possibly flat or formed). That way the whole area is much more robust. Even with a better material (Assuming these will be printed with a hard ABS-type resin).
Definitely looks good though!

Reactions: steelypip

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
I would like to see them printed in something other than ABS. I would prefer something that is nylon based with carbon fiber. I've used this for some items that need strength and flexibility. I believe the material is called Nylon-X.

Later,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I would like to see them printed in something other than ABS. I would prefer something that is nylon based with carbon fiber. I've used this for some items that need strength and flexibility. I believe the material is called Nylon-X.

Later,
Eldon
These will be printed on an SLA machine, not an FDM printer (at least I'm assuming they will be, I would be, if it were me). This means the parts will be strong in all axis, not just X and Y with a weak Z. Also, you won't have the unsightly layered effect that you get with FDM. That being said, there are very strong 'hard' resins that are as strong or stronger than ABS. This vid explains some of the differences.

Reactions: eldonz

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all,

The original pieces are Polycarbonate (body) and PMMA acrylic (lens).

The current plan is to make the new ones in PC as well, and do a silver nitrate spray chrome reflective coating on the inner body, and either PMMA, clear PC, or clear SLA resin for the lens. I am toying with the idea of making the tabs threaded and attaching them with m3 screws and printing them out of aluminum. the benefit here would be the tabs would be replacable should they ever break, but they would likely never break being made of aluminum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
M
Hello all,

Great news! The scans have turned out more than useable. I still need to do final cleanup on them, and then manually convert them into CAD files for printing/machining. Will keep this thread updated as i go.

View attachment 1258427 View attachment 1258428 View attachment 1258429 View attachment 1258430 View attachment 1258431 View attachment 1258432 View attachment 1258433 View attachment 1258434
Great job !!! The 2 clips of my indicator are broken, can you share your 3d model, then I can modify your 3d file, to print only the 2 clips I need.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
This is all so exciting! I currently don't need that part but several people do and I once ordered a replacement some years back. It is great to know that this part will be available again.

41 - 60 of 105 Posts