The Lotus Cars Community banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
while patiently awaiting an update, does anyone have access to a computer that is powerful enough to run photogrammetry software, and is willing to donate processing time?

for instance, meshroom, like in this demo: Photogrammetry 2 - 3D Scanning simpler, better than ever! - Prusa Printers

it looks like the stl/obj file that was teased above isn't released for public consumption. but i would still like to help share a decent CAD file. I've got components and can take photos, but my computer is old- a penryn core two duo- and cannot handle proper photogrammetry.

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
In the mean time, I'm trying to use my rough 3D scans to base models off of. I take a scan (this roughly catches the contour of the surface), manually draw cross sections and loft a model through them.

2020-04-11 turn signal modelling.png

I don't include the texture and fiducials on the inside of the lens, and the surface is much wavier than the nice 3D scan presented a few slides ago, but the result is immediately sharable.

Find it here (look for '2020-04-11 Lens model.stl' or 'turn signal from sections.FCStd'): Lotus Turn Signal CAD

I'm still working on the housing model. If the photogrammetry solution provides better models, I'll share those when they are generated.

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
Not sure if the pandemic is going to slow this project down, or if there is a bit more free time to put into it.
Hoping to get the car back on the road in the next month or two.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is that a result of the photogrammetry? For it to turn out properly, the object needs to be opaque, not sure if your photos include the clear diffuse lens?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
As a side topic on indicator lens. My LHS flew of as I was doing 80 going down 101. I had implemented the bungie solution on both lenses many years back. I used bungie obtained at a Marine equipment store so it should have had some level of UV protection. I intend to remove the RHS and refit with new bungie and/or better solution.

I recommend that everyone check their lenses for proper fit and protection from loss. We may never know if Lotus USA/UK ever intends to provide us with parts until they do.

·
Registered
59 Posts
For photogrammetry, it may be better in a grey like colour so that the software can identify the shapes and features of the object. Flat black may be too dark?

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
What program are you manipulating the scan data (STL) in? I have yet to purchase Geomagic plugin for SolidWorks so I can manipulate. If you have something I can bring into SW I would gladly make it a more reasonable file. Can print samples too. If there is better data, message me for email.

·
Registered
733 Posts
apart from my 3d scanner, all manipulation of data has been done in FreeCAD: FreeCAD: Your own 3D parametric modeler

I'm too cheap to buy good CAD software. at least freecad allows for manipulation of the mesh, conversion from solid to mesh and from mesh to solid, and generation of profiles from the mesh intersecting a plane.

all that i have played with so far is in the .fcstd file in my Google drive. many of the objects in the file are set to invisible: if you open the file, click the object that you're interested in and hit the space bar to toggle visibility.

if you want, i can join some kind of screen sharing or video chat to walk through my files and failures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all!

Sorry for the delay on this project, but I have made lots of progress!

When I started this project our big scanner at work was on the fritz. Once it was repaired I did another scan and it has turned out perfect!

See the attached renders and more info below

There will be some challenges as far as producing a finished product with similar properties as the original. I do have an idea as outlined above to make the clip removable/replaceable.

I am going to print a test version just out of regular plastic to ensure fit, before moving on to what I hope will be the final product.

I will update this thread when i get there.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all,

I have printed out a lens and housing out of basic ABS as a proof of concept and..........It works! The print you see here is just for fitment testing, the final product will be much prettier and stronger than this one.

Would there be anyone willing to pay for shipping for me to ship them this prototype to check fit? I do not have an elise to check it on. The lens would just be hot glued onto the housing temporarily. I would want to make sure that it fit as the original, including with the bulb.

Anyone who is interested feel free to PM me.

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
You can send it to me. You have my info. I can send check with the lens.

·
Registered
'06 Exige
37 Posts
This might help you.

The creator of the part (COL111R from SELOC) recommends Shapeways (www.shapeways.com) to print a set. It costs about $20 shipped in white nylon. Just upload the STL file from the Thingiverse link above and choose the material and color. I've seen a few posts from people who've used them successfully.

He says that the indent makes the indicator easier to remove and he recommends attaching it using a M3 button head hex bolt.

My tabs aren't broken (yet) so I want to have a pair on hand in case they do. I've removed one turn signal to change a bulb in the 13 years I've had the car and I managed to avoid breaking the tab.

Thanks Spooling and COL111R from SELOC!

Reactions: Spooling

·
Registered
193 Posts
Whelp.. my car is now overdue for VA safety inspection. I cannot drive my car legally in VA without getting some type of working blinker installed :(.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Greetings folks. I'm new here. While delighted to find you all, I'm here because a bonehead in a Honda Odyssey backed over the front of my 2005 Elise that has only 14k miles on it. The repair process has been an utter nightmare but now I'm down to the last piece, which is, class, a driver's side turn indicator. So, consider this my ask to jump into the buying pool if anyone can come up with a way to get these suckers or get them repaired. I'm just so devastated to be in this spot, as I am sure others are too. Let me know if I've missed any ideas to find one of these needles in the haystack

61 - 80 of 105 Posts