The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Elise turn indicators?

15K views 109 replies 28 participants last post by  Obeisance 
#1 ·
I ordered turn indicators from Elise Parts, but they said they have been back ordered for a year and Lotus has nobodies when they will get them again.
Does anyone know where I can find a set of these? They are the indicators right near the headlight for an 05 Elise

#2 ·
I have been told, by a reliable source, that Lotus has no plans at the moment to have any made because of the quantity that they have to purchase. Just to clarify, you just talked to Elise Parts and confirmed that they have no stock?

Thanks,
Eldon

#7 ·
Is there an arm at Lotus USA or Lotus UK that we can twist to impress the need for these parts? Does anyone know who the part manufacturer is for the indicator lenses? Is it possible for a small shop to make them? I don't like the idea of having to just garage my car until the demand grows large enough.

#10 ·
@85percent85 ,
I took the liberty of creating a ticket with <partrequest@eurocarparts.com>
[Ticket number #759644] - After-market solution for 2005 Lotus Elise front indicators / lenses
So, we'll see what happens on that front. I will post any updates. "This is currently under review with our support team."

Speculation: Would it be practical to glass over the ovals where the present indicators live and upgrade to the new headlamp assy's with the indicators built in? BIG job I imagine but desperate times call for desperate measures...

#12 ·
@85percent85 ,
I took the liberty of creating a ticket with <partrequest@eurocarparts.com>
[Ticket number #759644] - After-market solution for 2005 Lotus Elise front indicators / lenses
So, we'll see what happens on that front. I will post any updates. "This is currently under review with our support team."

Speculation: Would it be practical to glass over the ovals where the present indicators live and upgrade to the new headlamp assy's with the indicators built in? BIG job I imagine but desperate times call for desperate measures...
This is what I did. The indicators were filled in when I got the Clam done, And indicators were added inside my headlight housings. Its a lot unless you are already doing work on the front clam. In my opinion it actually looks better as well.

#25 ·
@exigegus thank you for taking the time to look at it. even if we can still get parts from Lotus in the future, i think it's good to have a back up plan in case things don't go on easily. in the very least, CAD models can be a starting point for other aftermarket parts (LED turn signals, for instance, would not need the projector cavity, but would still need the oval shape).

the cad files that i shared included the .stl mesh, the .step model, and a full, editable FreeCAD .FCstd file.

#27 ·
If someone can create these and they are of good quality, I’d be in for a group buy. Even if you could procure a factory piece, they are quite costly for what they are.
@exigegus did you buy one from AMNE?
If so, I’ll give Steve a call.

#29 ·
Starting to look at this as we have several 3D printers to play with. What is a decent method to remove the lens? We can 3D scan as well. I downloaded the file and will see if they can be used.

#32 ·
Humm ideas like this are looking better and better if Lotus doesn't find a new supplier soon.

Reactions: 6TVRs+ and darkSol
#34 ·
Where's the chinese counterfeiters when you need them? I'd even be happy to pay extra tariff just to get them without hassle of having to make them. On another note Harbour Freight 1 gal pressure pot is cheapest around if you do have to resort to making mold and pour your own.

#36 ·
Hey all, new here. I was directed here by a user in a facebook 3d printing group I'm a part of.

I could definitely reproduce these parts to almost factory spec. I'd need to get ahold of one to do a high-res 3d scan of it. We recently did a high res 3d scan of a GM dashboard that turned out great.

and a picture of an optically clear print we recently did. This method would be perfect for the actual lens part.

Someone can feel free to PM me if this is something the forum would be interested in pursuing.

#38 ·
Hopefully someone has spare lights sitting around to send to him. With the amount of requests for these, I would definitely pick up a spare set just in case. Subscribing!

#39 ·
I've been looking at mine to do a 3D scan and then print. (have all equipment as well). Has anyone determined a non-destructible way of separating the 2 parts that are bonded together? Otherwise we would have to sacrifice 2 lights, one to break the lens and scan the housing, then another to break the housing and scan the lights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.