The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My heart sinks and my body tenses up every time I see a picture of a wrecked Elise or read someones story of tragedy.

From what I've gathered so far:
1) Avoid blind spots like the plague
2) Avoid visible spots at all cost ;)
3) Drive the car like you're invisible
4) Drive as if any car on the road is going to hit you at any point in time (pretty much how I bet we all drive)
5) If it illuminates on the Elise, turn it on

I'm guessing that other drivers are doing a quick look, not seeing an SUV size vehicle towering over their window sill and head where they want to go.

Can you tell me some quick stories about close calls and stupid moves by other drivers and also post the color of your Elise if it isn't already in your tag line. I'm curious if color has anything to do with it, my feeling it is more the Elises low stature and idiots piloting their lead sleds without thinking.

Thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had my driving licence for 3 months when I made a small *cough* mistake whilst driving my dads S1 in the rain.

Seriously sideways through a city in the rain with 50mph on the wrong side of the road is not funny. Had two contraslips before I got the damn thing under control again. I thank karting and PC race games for giving me the right reflexes to make for an happy end. I wouldn't dare to think what would've happened if I had taken my foot off the accelerator :(

In my defence it had old rock hard Pirelli's (not known for their brilliant wet handling) and a Geo setup from hell. Bad thing was that my dad saw the whole thing happen because he was driving in front of me :(

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
It's Sods Law.
Just remember that MOST drivers are not car people, so anything car related is above zero and less than one on their awareness scale, including their driving.

Regarding Elise operation,paranoia is probably an appropiate state of mind in this arena.
m

·
Registered
764 Posts
Simple: Drive like a biker

1) They are ALL out to get you. The ones who are not actively in the process of trying to kill you are biding their time, waiting for you to forget about them so that they can get their chance. Being unseen or in their blindspot merely gives tthem an excuse to execute their planned treachery.

2) Situational awareness: Do you know where every car around you is and what its vectors are? Fighter pilots, bikers, and air trafic controllers all do this to stay well. Do you know, right now, what gear you are in and where the tach is? Where are the holes around you and how fast are they opening or closing. It's a small vehicle, do you know exactly how small [drive it through ever tighter cones until you know] ?

3)Planning, stage one: For every car out there, try to run the various scenarios that each might emploly to kill you. Every now and then they will try it right before your very eyes. You react better if it's not a surprise to you.

4) Planning, stage two: For every such method, work out your response now, while you have time to think. When the metal starts moving, all you will have time to do is execute, so it's nice to have a good plan.

5) Situational awareness revisited: After one of them tries something and you evade/avoid don't spend any time being mad or distracted. Because that's when the *second* one will take a shot at you. All of my close calls on a bike have been AFTER I kept some [your favorite noun goes her] from killing me with their cage.

I feel for all of you Elise drivers out there. Ask any biker about it.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
So true.
Just this morning, driving to work, my Elise fully illuminated. I am alongside an SUV to my right. The SUV is ahead of me by maybe 2 feet. I see an indicator and I am immediately off the gas as the SUV moves into where I would have been. When they are 2/3rd into my lane they see my lights behind them and quickly move back into the lane they came from. :rolleyes:
This is in almost daylight and my car is Orange with QS exhaust. Just keep in mind, they are all out to get us :eek:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
The car cuts the same profile as a Miata, though a tad lower. Does anyone have any data on the rate at which Miatas are tagged in collision accidents?

I don't have my Elise yet, and have never owned a Miata, but I think the bigger issue is idiots hitting the Elise in parking situations (one of my employee's street-parked Miata is riddled with dents and dings on the door panels -- people have backed into it doing three-point turns).

Don't get me wrong: I believe the Elise is vulnerable during street driving. I just don't think it's any more so than other small cars.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I nearly got nailed in town a couple of weeks ago. I was in the right lane of a 2 lane (in each direction) road. The road has a number of stoplights, and a car at the front of the line in the left lane was stopped to make a left on a green light (no arrow). Some dude swerved out of the left lane to try to get in the right lane and out of the stopped line, and almost went right into me. I had to swerve right and go off road on my right two tires to avoid him.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
No close calls yet (knock on wood). I think people are either going to see you or they're not, regardless of what you're driving (well, within reason...that Freightliner XLT would be tough to miss).

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
This is interesting.. I've always thought, "what's the big deal - it's not *that* small," but then I remember that I've never owned a car larger than an RX7, so I'm just used to it.... Now I realize why my gf freaks out when someone moves into her lane - she's not used to people doing stupid things like that (because they see her car); I would guess that most people aren't

I get cut off, pulled out in front of, mistaken for an empty space in traffic, etc. all the time - it's just second nature at this point. You start getting into little habbits for avoiding the dolts... it's like a premonition for brainless acts - you can almost see the stupid future. :)

Remember that it's easier to look up than it is to look down - give the guy a break if he cuts you off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
BrianK said:
This is interesting.. I've always thought, "what's the big deal - it's not *that* small," but then I remember that I've never owned a car larger than an RX7, so I'm just used to it.... Now I realize why my gf freaks out when someone moves into her lane - she's not used to people doing stupid things like that (because they see her car); I would guess that most people aren't

I get cut off, pulled out in front of, mistaken for an empty space in traffic, etc. all the time - it's just second nature at this point. You start getting into little habbits for avoiding the dolts... it's like a premonition for brainless acts - you can almost see the stupid future. :)

Remember that it's easier to look up than it is to look down - give the guy a break if he cuts you off.
Same here. I own a MR2 Spyder and I get almost run over daily. Such to the point that I expect it and don't get worked up over it. People that ride with me are always freaking out when stuff like that happens. I usually just perform an evasive manuever and go about my way. They want me to cuss, honk, and generally raise hell... but it's just not worth it. The next car in line is only waiting to do the same. As much as this happens, I still feel safer in my Spyder because I feel confident that I can avoid most situations that other drivers put me in. When I drive my Pathfinder, it scares me to think I can't avoid things like that. Sure it happens a lot less in the SUV, but I consider myself a pretty good driver. I prefer to be in control of my vehicle, rather than just along for the ride.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
AuburnSpyder said:
They want me to cuss, honk, and generally raise hell... but it's just not worth it.
Good attitude, and I agree with it in principle, except for one thing - I think it's perfectly appropriate, and even USEFUL, to honk in a case like this. I feel it's critical to let the other driver know they made a mistake and could have caused an accident, in the hopes that it may make them more careful next time. If they don't know they did something wrong, they won't change.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Do you think a Corvette owner would have similar experiences? The Elise is just about 2-3 inches lower than the Corvette. If not, then I suspect the lenght of the car and not just the height has something to do with it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I thought the stupidest incident so far was when an Etalker unavoidably hit a car that was making a u-turn :rolleyes: from the mid-lane while he was in the L-lane.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
JonM3Coupe said:
The car cuts the same profile as a Miata, though a tad lower. Does anyone have any data on the rate at which Miatas are tagged in collision accidents?

I don't have my Elise yet, and have never owned a Miata, but I think the bigger issue is idiots hitting the Elise in parking situations (one of my employee's street-parked Miata is riddled with dents and dings on the door panels -- people have backed into it doing three-point turns).

Don't get me wrong: I believe the Elise is vulnerable during street driving. I just don't think it's any more so than other small cars.
I've had my Miata for 15 years and 350,000 miles. I was paranoid about getting hit when I first got the car, as you do feel tiny. However, you generally can read people's intentions to pull in front of you and take evasive action. I'm assuming because the car is so short, they don't catch sight of you in their mirrors if you are slightly to their rear in the lane next to them. You are not supposed to rely 100% on the mirrors, you are supposed to turn your head and glance backwards, but not many people seem to do that anymore (they should at least continue to check the rear and side mirrors as they change lanes, but most don't do that). Even if you honk, many people no longer pay attention to that - rather than pulling back into their lane, they just continue their maneuver.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Small? You guys think an Elise is small?Try a 1967 Ginetta G4,in traffic-------of an early Elan or Europa. Now these are small cars. Situational awareness is the key. Use your side mirrors often,know what is around you and anticipate their bonehead moves. THEY CANNOT SEE YOU. Pull your Elise behind a SMALL SUV, notice that the rear glass is about 1 foot above the Elise. BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!Lwein,Red lss.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Try a Cat, or Birkin or other se7en.
They are quicker off the line than an Elise, have faster steering response....Old ladies can't see them when they are 20 feet in front of their faces and approaching.
m

1 - 19 of 19 Posts