The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Lotus Evora 400
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody upgraded to an Evora? Elise vs Evora NA or Elise SC vs Evora S :shift:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Elise to Evora

Has anybody upgraded to an Evora? Elise vs Evora NA or Elise SC vs Evora S :shift:
six years 36K miles on the Elise - I added many improvements: multi vex mirrors, AC mods, extended key fob range, gas charged piston for the trunk, Larini exhaust, cup holder, radar detector mount, etc.

the Evora is an excellent upgrade - quiet, comfortable, way more luggage space (e.g., 2 sets of golf clubs), more practical, etc., etc. So far only mod has been a cup holder, thinking about a Larini in the future.

not much different than a family sedan, except it drives/handles like a Lotus, especially when in sports mode

the Elise was lighter and felt more nimble, about it's only plus compared to an Evora

the Elise was one of the most reliable cars I've owned

after a few connector issues in the engine bay were fixed all is well with the Evora, however I keep a code reader in the trunk in case a reset is required

never had a serious problem with either car

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
A lot of us have come from the Elise/Exige. What kind of driving are you planning on doing?

·
Less is Better
2,782 Posts
The Evora is a great car, but for what I value in a sports car it wouldn't be an "upgrade".

·
Registered
2017 Lotus Evora 400
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lot of us have come from the Elise/Exige. What kind of driving are you planning on doing?
I currently own a 2011 Lotus Elise R with only has 1300 miles, I posted it couple of weeks ago in the sale section. I'm always busy so I have no much time to drive it, so I thought I could let it go and also my other car which is my daily driver and get a 2013 Evora NA w/IPS so I could have the benefits and comfort of driving an "automatic" car and perhaps the same fun feeling when driving an Elise. However it seems there are few issues with the Evora model and the not so good reliability. :shift:

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
6.5 years in an 05 Elise. Added tons of mods, to include a Katana II S/C. I made the switch and im glad I did. LOVED the elise but the Evora is much more friendly as a Daily Driver, more comfortable, "luxurious", gets more looks than the Elise believe it or not, but still retains that Lotus feel and handling. I threw Placks exhaust on it and OMG it sounds like a damn beast. I've received tons of compliments on it, some stating it sounds better than a 360 with a Capristo Exhaust on it.

Take one for a drive...you'll be hooked.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,200 Posts
The Evora is a great car, but for what I value in a sports car it wouldn't be an "upgrade".
That's my view when I went shopping for an Evora after owning the Elise for a year. Looking at what the Evora does in comparison to the Elise, I thought it wasn't so much of an upgrade as it is more like an alternative.

I can see owning both actually, with each one serving a very different purpose whereas an upgrade would imply that the Evora would entirely replace the Elise because it does everything better than the Elise... which it doesn't... including being able to take the top off which was a big factor in me choosing the Elise over the Exige in the first place.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I went from a 2011 Elise SC to a 2013 NA Evora IPS. They are different animals. The Elise was intense and crazy, the Evora much more liveable. I really think the Elise was special and timeless, and the Evora will be valueless in 5-10 years, but I needed something that I could live with in stop/go traffic and something I could take my wife out on a date with. I have to say, the Evora is pretty amazing though. If I wasn't coming from an Elise I would be singing its praises like it was the second coming of Christ...

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
buy 2, they're small.

·
Registered
2017 Lotus Evora 400
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am planning to buy Evora and keep the Elise. The Elise for the track and Evora for DD
get both
I have a 2011 Elise R with 1300 miles, the Elise is a blast, raw, crude and rude which is fantastic but a pain for DD. I have a DD but it is no fun even with a Hemi engine, so I want to unload all my cars and just have one. That is why I am considering the Evora and the Cayman S.:UK:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Just drive one. You'll know in 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
Has anyone autocrossed both the Elise/Exige and an Evora? How does the Evora do?

I've tracked all 3, really like the lightness and connection of the Elise/Exige. Elise modded or not is wheels on rails.
I tested an Evora on track and it is obviously much heavier. The 2 Evora racers in LotusCupUSA have very fast cars. One is a GT4 but the other is a stripped Evora. Both are fast but different feel.

I daily my S260 and wouldn't want to daily an Evora. I am not the norm.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
686 Posts
An upgrade? I see them as seperate car classes, I think an upgrade from an Elise would be something like an McLaren MP4-12C Spyder... I suppose you could go the other way with this as well, and go for a Ariel Atom or the BAC Mono.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I daily drove both. Did a year and 20k miles in the Elise, have had my Evora now for 18 months and 20k miles.

They are different animals. My ideal stable would have my Evora, and an 05 Elise again (preferably my old one!) I love them both for different reasons. Both are comparable performance wise in general, but the Evora is deceptively fast. The Evora is very much connected to the road like no other. But nothing can touch an Elise/Exige for that exhilarating connection to the road.

That being said, your driving environment dictates whether you would DD the car too. I had no problem DDing the Elise in SoCal, but a FL summer wouldn't fare so well.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I was pondering this for some time especially since there are grear deals to be had. But since I drive my "weekend" car once every 2-3 weeks...I would rather have it as raw as possible. But if I were looking for a more DD friendly car, i would get the evora.

·
Less is Better
2,782 Posts
I have a 2011 Elise R with 1300 miles, the Elise is a blast, raw, crude and rude which is fantastic but a pain for DD. I have a DD but it is no fun even with a Hemi engine, so I want to unload all my cars and just have one. That is why I am considering the Evora and the Cayman S.:UK:
Compromise sucks. You loose on both ends. It's like all season tires or a leatherman, they can do alot of things, but a specialized product is the best for a specific job. Having said that, the Evora and Cayman aren't too compromised but are definitely more GTish.

·
Stilling doing God's work
971 Posts
Elise was fine until the summers. The AC sucked ass. That was the only reason why I sold it. Picked up a 12 Evora S. Lotus took it back finally because of the Liz Lemon law in NY. Replaced with a new 12 at that time. Works fine, for the most part. It's a Lotus.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts