The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, for some irrational reason I'm considering converting my Elise over to an Exige by swapping body panels. I've always wanted an Exige but running the numbers show it would be cheaper to convert it over. I've got to re do the starshield and probably repaint my front clam anyway.

I've heard reference many times before that the Exige is heavier (wikipedia reinforces this: Elise 1896lbs Exige as low as 2010) but I wonder how much of this is provided by the supercharger, bumpers, headlights etc and how much of it is the actual body panel weight?

My car is an 05 with quite a few weight savings mods and I don't want to go ruining that with a body panel swap.

Does anyone have any solid references on this? I've scoured the internetz :crazyeyes and I can only find references to "weight savings" for aftermarket carbon parts, not the actual OE part weights.. Would be great to know the exact weights of the front and rear clams, and engine covers..

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I found the Exige front clam weighed 33lbs and that included the mesh grills but excluded the front splitter.

·
2006 Exige
975 Posts
I wonder what the baseline was though... ie 30lbs vs what? an NA Elise with hardtop/softop etc?
"the bodywork and aero pieces do add 30 lb."

I think it just means that the Exige body and associated parts (wing/splitter/scoops) add 30 pounds over a similarly equipped Elise.

I also think it would be easier to sell your Elise and purchase an Exige. It would probably hold its value better as well since most people switch from an Elise to an Exige after clam damage...

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"the bodywork and aero pieces do add 30 lb."

I think it just means that the Exige body and associated parts (wing/splitter/scoops) add 30 pounds over a similarly equipped Elise.

I also think it would be easier to sell your Elise and purchase an Exige. It would probably hold its value better as well since most people switch from an Elise to an Exige after clam damage...
Understood. I'm swapping my motor/drive train to a K24. So my resale value is probably toast anyway. Don't need or want the supercharger on the exige s.

I've been looking for exiges for some time now. Missed out on a few and several are just too expensive.

If I consider repaying sales tax, shipping/transport and potentially taking a hit on my car it's not worth it. I've got a friend who does body work so paint shouldn't be too bad.

·
2006 Exige
975 Posts
Oh, you're going to the Honda drivetrain too? That makes more sense to me now. Sounds like a fun project for sure!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Exige clamshells are heavier than Elise components as they are not made with the same process. The average thickness of the Elise clams is said to be around 2mm, whereas the Exige glass averages 3mm. The reason for the different production process is the complex shape of the Exige clam as compared to the Elise.I believe(but could be wrong) that the Exige is hand laid fiberglass.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Exige clamshells are heavier than Elise components as they are not made with the same process. The average thickness of the Elise clams is said to be around 2mm, whereas the Exige glass averages 3mm. The reason for the different production process is the complex shape of the Exige clam as compared to the Elise.I believe(but could be wrong) that the Exige is hand laid fiberglass.
I've heard the same thing about the Exige being hand laid whereas the Elise is molded composite. Supposedly it is more expensive to do the hand laid but the savings in not having to make a mold and the small numbers of Exiges justified the extra cost. There is also some talk about the Exige body being more complex.

San

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I'm doing the conversion right now. I'd guess the Exige rear clam is at most 20lbs heavier than the Elise. They are both such awkward shapes, it's hard for me to estimate the actual weight of either one though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts