The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had 2 Elise's (one now for sale)....I have absolutely loved both of them beyond what words can describe.... so much fun, performance, reliability, exotic prowess, and driving satisfaction .....

So, I recently stumbled across a 2011 Exige S260 Roger Becker RGB edition that I bought.....it is on its way to me via enclosed transport ....(that will be a different thread!)

My question is for those of you who have had real "seat time" in BOTH a stock Elise (190HP) and a stock Exige S240 or S260.......how much of a performance difference is there between the Elise and the upper powered Exige?

Yes, I already read the specs online, so please no use posting those, or from people who haven't had real life experiences in both with 'opinions' ..........I really want to know from those with real experience, what is the 'seat of the pants' feel between them??

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I added the katana265 kit to my Elise after owning it a few months. The katana265 is a real 265 crank HP (on par with a stock Exige). The difference is night and day. You have to think about how much power you put down in corners. Before the kit, I could just keep the gas pedal planted and roll through turns.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I have had 2 Elise's (one now for sale)....I have absolutely loved both of them beyond what words can describe.... so much fun, performance, reliability, exotic prowess, and driving satisfaction .....

So, I recently stumbled across a 2011 Exige S260 Roger Becker RGB edition that I bought.....it is on its way to me via enclosed transport ....(that will be a different thread!)

My question is for those of you who have had real "seat time" in BOTH a stock Elise (190HP) and a stock Exige S240 or S260.......how much of a performance difference is there between the Elise and the upper powered Exige?

Yes, I already read the specs online, so please no use posting those, or from people who haven't had real life experiences in both with 'opinions' ..........I really want to know from those with real experience, what is the 'seat of the pants' feel between them??

Thanks!!
The difference is most pronounced on the left side of the tach. The supercharged cars actually have some usable power on 1st cam. If you can drive an s220 or katana equipped car it will get you close in terms of power. The difference between a lowly 07 and an s260 is less than the HP ratings sudgest

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Cornering is a lot more cofindent, power is more usable around town or at track , at high speeds the aero package makes car more stable, braking is way better!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, they are both yellow, so they should be pretty similar. Once you get the dragon sticker on the new car you can make a fair comparison.

My guess is that you will enjoy the new car much more than the Elise.

:coolnana::nanner:

BT

·
Premium Member
2,218 Posts
I had a 2008 Elise SC (220 HP) and now I have a 2011 Exige S 260. My suspension setup is for track use only so the ride is stiffer now otherwise with normal setup it is very similar. A bit more noise in the cabin. The two cars are similar but if I had to pick only 3 major differences, I would say:

- Exige looks better :D
- You will feel the extra HP and it feels good.
- Until you get use to it, you will miss the rear view - Just remove the rear view mirror :D

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
Congrats Fred! you will definately have more usable power down low which makes it much easier and more fun on the street. At the track the real difference is in the straights where you can gain speed quicker and keep up with the higher hp cars. In the twisties it is as much fun as your elise, at least the orange one which had the sport pack, and probably a little better handling depending on setup. Next track event you should bring it to PBIR. Tommy

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great stuff!! Thank you to those that responded.....I am anxious to get to feel the difference once the new car gets here!! Anyone else with any input on this????.....

BT.... yes, I am sure a 'dragon' sticker will make it faster!! Fill the car with gas, a good 'gangster rap' CD, and some random BBQ lunch, and I will be all smiles!! :D

Tommy...... I never had my CO Elise anywhere to gauge the handling, other than those 2 times at 'Area 51'. And, that was back in '07. I had much more seat time in my current car, since doing all the semi-annual driving extravaganza trips to North Carolina with BT has been such fun!!

Obviously, there is a pretty big price difference between my Elise and the new S260, and I am curious about the 'seat of the pants' feel, and how/if the new car will be worth all those pennies!!

:)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
- You will feel the extra HP and it feels good.
This is exactly what I was hoping for!!!!!!

Initially, I was just going to replace my Elise with another Elise or just keep mine, but when the S260 RGB popped up, I grabbed it.......it hasnt been delivered by the transport company yet, and as I am getting calls from perspective buyers of my beloved Elise, I am just making sure that the extra claimed HP is something you can really feel, and a big difference.....and, thus, justifies the leap in price .....

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
I miss that day at area 51! If only I knew then what I could do now! I feel bad for the scud as you will love the new experience. Chuck has the done up yellow 240 and races all the time. Hayes from wirewheels has some sick exiges. We have to get up to the track again. The night runs are a blast! Will email you some video of last one

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Braking from high-speed is much more confident in an Exige, especially if you have it lowered in the front. And of course the power is a marked difference. It's not just 70 hp, it's 70 hp divided up by only 2,000 lbs. I think it's very easy to get used to, so people don't make a big deal about it, but the 260 cars are much faster than a base Elise, and feel accordingly.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Comparing an n/a Elise to an Exige S260 is kinda cheating. They're very different price ranges. Nevertheless, the low speed handling will be pretty much identical, given the Elise has LSS. After that, the Exige aero helps modestly. The big brakes are an improvement in stopping, and of course the power makes a huge difference.

On the street, their pretty much a wash unless you're trying to get a speeding ticket. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had the same question while hanging out at Intermeccanica. Nick explained to me that the Exige has more aggressive aerodynamics. The angle of the slopes on the front clam are more aggressive on the Exige.

The Exiges are also noisier and (don't hold me to it but I was told) a bit wider in the rear. You can also get more power out of an Exige S with minimal mods than you you could out of an Elise. A pulley, tune and injectors will have you at 300hp at crank.

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,111 Posts
Maybe off subject a bit....Does anyone know the what fuel pump and pulley size the S240 and S260 uses?

Back on subject:
I had an Elise with Base suspension and it rolled quite a lot and wollowed if your made abrupt steering imputs. However it was very well planted in high speed sweepers and inspired confident as such.

Later I swapped the Base for LLS suspension. The LSS was very bumpy and harsh. It was not a good damper for the street. I never tracked either Base of LSS.

After LSS, the Elise got a set of Nitron Singles which transformed the car into how it should have come from the factory. /////crisp turn-in, considerably less body roll, compliance on street if you adjusted to knob to a higher number. They are 24 way adjustable I believe. I experimented on street and track and found this was a good setting: 7front, and 9 rear. ....i would start with 10front/10 rear though and go from there. If you want a softer/cushier ride then try: 12/14

I currently have an S240 with track pack bilsteins. I do not like them much because the springs are very soft compared to the Nitron Singles. However, they are damped well if you set the knob at: 8front/9 rear...anything lower than that makes the ride too bumpy and frenetic...it skips over bumpy pavement.
-The Bilstein springs are progressive so the harder its driven the firmer the springs get which does inspire confidence as speeds increase. They do launch the car well because the soft springs transfer weight readily to the rear. However, turn-in at low speed is very slow and the car willows a lot....this was alarming when I drove the car for the first time after stepping out of the Nitron equipped Elise.

I plan to replace the bilstein springs with stiffer hypercoils from BWR (if they will fit)....Robert

-Robert

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,657 Posts
It is not exactly true to say a pulley, tune and injectors get you 300hp...

Maybe you can peak at that level, but without a considerable amount of supporting kit your not really going to be operating consistently with 300hp for long.

or maybe I did not really need a larger intercooler, fuelpump, 3way shroud, stronger clutch, AFR gauge, Cup Airbox, new exhaust system

I guess with that increased power there were no need for a Prorad radiator, lower rated thermostat, puller fans.
I am just saying that if your OCD similar to me you touch one system or increase it's output then you better upgrade all the other supporting systems ?

With stock engine ( bottom end anyway ) I am pushing 330hp at the crank. This on a 07 Exige S. Sure it's possible but easy or cheap it was not... I just know anything more( REV300/400 requires new everything including built transmission, on and on I bet...

I think the panache to the S260 is it represents the final product offered to us here. That and there simply are fewer of them. Enjoy it man !

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
I've had one Elise and two Exige S'. The exige handles better (all the cars came with track pack) and was substantially faster. As you develop your skill on the track everything changes and your pushing various aspects of the car that require some enhancements. Big brake kit and new shocks came first. More aero came second. More HP came third.

Great car. Have fun.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
How is it that the Exige handles better exactly?
I have Three theories on this, all based around Street driving speeds:

1) the differences are visual/placebo. The Exige does look faster! Back to the age old engineering question: "When is the last time you had your butt calibrated?"

2) Hand built car differences. I got the opportunity to drive my 06 Elise, stock but fairly well setup (LSS springs/shocks, base wheels, non-optimum tires), back to back on the same twisty road, with a friends 07 Exige with newer/better tires.

There was a noticeable power difference (advantage Exige), but as for handling, we both agreed (quickly) that my Elise was much more confidence inspiring. I didnt get the chance to do the testing I wanted to do see why, but I attribute this alignment and general tuning/setup. I suspect that with a weeks worth of work, could have had the Exige working as good.

3) The Exige does have more aero. From what I read @ 100mph it has approx 85 lbs more down-force that the Elise.

All other things being equal, with both cars sharing the same chassis. doing the age old "remove the bodywork to focus on mechanical grip, not aero", it should come down to setup.

·
Registered
712 Posts

All other things being equal, with both cars sharing the same chassis. doing the age old "remove the bodywork to focus on mechanical grip, not aero", it should come down to setup.
This is exactly what I was thinking and what others have alluded to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts