The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im new to this forum and just about done with my military training and have wanted a lotus for a few years now and finally have enough money to get one. My question is which lotus is goin to be the best one to get the elise or exige. Im not going to be goin to the track and I will drive it quite often so im guessin the elise would be the best for me but i like the styling of the exige but didnt know how it was to drive it alot. So any feedback from people who own either one would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If taking the top off is important to you, then get the Elise.

I just picked up an Exige & could not be happier. I think the Exige has a bit more Super Car look to it.

But they drive the same, except for the zero visibility you have from the rear of the Exige, but that adds to the excitement!

Either way you can have more fun than driving a Lotus!

But I am a new owner, wait for more experienced replies.

+anthony

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also heard something about the exiges not having a back windshield is that true or just a rumor i have yet to actually see an exige in person

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I bought an Exige because I knew that if I got an Exige I'd never regret not buying an Elise, but if I got an Elise I might regret not buying the Exige.

That said, an Elise would be better for you and your anticipated use, but if you would rather have an Exige, just go ahead and get one.

The Exige 260 does not have a back window and instead just uses a sheet of carbon fiber. All other Exiges have a back window. Using multivex side mirrors means that you don't really have to worry about this either way.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
exige has a back window. In the 07+ you cannot see anything out the back window b/c of the intercooler. 06 you can kind of see through the grills.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
there is a piece of glass behind my head... to call it a window would be rather silly tho

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have an Elise and I never see an Exige passing me and I passed so many Exige (either when my engine was stock)...

To be honest, if you want to be snob, you should have an Exige since an Exige owner is looking an Elise owner on big stand...

That's said, they are the same car. The Exige can be slightly better if you are modifying the car a lot since you will have more space to play around the engine. The downforce is slightly better too.

But, I am using my Elise on street and living on downtown, it is easy to say that you should look only forward with an Exige, but I prefer to do a parrallel parking looking at rear. And you can remove the roof, not bad too.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have an Elise and I never see an Exige passing me and I passed so many Exige (either when my engine was stock)...

To be honest, if you want to be snob, you should have an Exige since an Exige owner is looking an Elise owner on big stand...

That's said, they are the same car. The Exige can be slightly better if you are modifying the car a lot since you will have more space to play around the engine. The downforce is slightly better too.

But, I am using my Elise on street and living on downtown, it is easy to say that you should look only forward with an Exige, but I prefer to do a parrallel parking looking at rear. And you can remove the roof, not bad too.
You just said Exige owners are snobs! I shouldn't be bothered with such crass remarks from a lowly Elise owner! :)

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...all the coolest people drive an elise - everybody knows that the exige sucks and the elise rules...

:evil::shift:

(...the truth is that they're effectively the same car - choose whichever form factor best suits your tastes, as they're both fantastic...)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I would never have bought an Elise, but when I saw the Exige I pre-ordered mine right away. The looks are so much more what I like. Personal taste. Lots more downforce, but slower at top end due to air drag. A topless Elise would also be much slower due to air drag.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I've got one of each - an 07 Exige S and an 08 Elise 60th (supercharged). Both track pack/touring cars.

Personally, I find the Exige more aggressive looking and the Else much, much easier to drive everyday because the visibility is far superior.

That said, even though the rated HP is close (identical?) the intercooled Exige *definitely* has more kick than the non-intercooled SC Elise. At least in the summer here in Texas.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Im not going to be goin to the track and I will drive it quite often so im guessin the elise would be the best for me but i like the styling of the exige
Since you like the style of the Exige, assuming you can swing the extra cash for it, I'd say buy it. That was my reasoning. I just don't have the convertible gene in my DNA. The Exige from the factory has the potential of being the better track weapon with more downforce and more factory-supplied power. The Elise has the potential of being the better road car with the slightly better rear vision and the more easily removed top. The reality is that the two cars are more similar than different. That's why you're getting some snarky answers from the group. Ignore those. Those comments are either the result of having bought one of the most fun and spectacular cars on the road or from being a jealous Elise owner. ;)

-Brad

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
The Elise has the potential of being the better road car with the slightly better rear vision and the more easily removed top.

-Brad
Just for the record, the hard top on the elise and the hard top on the exige go on and off in exactly the same way, same tools, same hardware. no difference at all.

To do the soft top conversion for the Exige takes about 30 minutes, and at that point the open top appeal of the Elise is identical in the Exige. After the conversion, the soft top goes on the Exige exactly as it does the Elise.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do like the styling of the exigencies alot more it just looks alot meaner. How is the room on the inside different if any at all

·
Registered
613 Posts
I've owned both of them, loved both of them, tracked them both of them, worked on both of them and I like the Exige better. The Exige is a little bit less practicle because of the limited rear visability, but it makes up for it in a more aggresive look, which I prefer.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts