The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know they are nothing alike and the Liz clearly has the upper hand but have you driven the Cooper S.
I did two weekends ago, first time since leaving the UK. I had heard that it handled well but did not know what to expect. I can tell you it is a delightfully fun to drive car. Grips the road very confidently. Quick lane changes are no problem. Turn in is excellent; all in all a very impressive package for the money.

My girlfriend drove the Standard Cooper and was impressed by the handling but is currently signed up for the S model. She can’t drive stick so I am teaching her on my car so she can have a smooth break-in with her new Cooper S.

Comparing the two I would say the Mini shows its weight when compared to the Liz, but you wouldn’t realize this unless you had driven something as light as the Elise. I think driving the Elise has opened my eyes to something I never realized… I guess you could say when you drive the Elise you will have an epiphany. You will never look at so-called sports cars the same way again. You will see a 350Z and think, “Too bad it’s such a fat pig of a car.” Even Corvettes and Porsche will provoke the same question… Why does it have to weigh over 3000 lbs? Worst still when you drive them because you will feel the difference all that extra weight makes. You will realize that even with more horsepower you cannot rid the car of that heavy car feeling.

All things said and done I like the Cooper S a lot. It handled IMO better than the Boxster S I drove. I was quite surprised. Good bang for the buck. I’m not dropping off the list for the Elise, I like having the upper hand. But I think if she practices she could annoy the inexperienced Elise driver in her Cooper S.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone here driven the S2000 (haven’t driven one of those yet) the Cooper S and the Elise? How do they stack up?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
We've owned a Cooper S for a little over a year now. It's my wife's daily driver. It's always a blast to drive. In some ways more fun than my (E46) M3, for the reasons you state. The M3 is most suited for high speed highway cruising , while the Cooper S is fun to just blast around town.

I find that the typical driver (especially folks here in Texas driving their big trucks) is quite annoyed when I blast past them :D

A lot of times I'll be in the left lane, and see a big truck or SUV well behind me move into the right because they think this little econobox is going to hold them up, so I drop a couple of gears and walk away from them.

It's fun :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
963 Posts
I agree with you. My wife and I test drove the MINI S a year ago, we both loved it. She's getting my S2000 after I get the Elise, so the MINI is no longer on our to buy list. If it didn't get such bad reviews in Consumer Reports, we might have gotten one after we sell the S2000 in a year and a half or so.

The MINI is fun though. I've seen the MINI S on an autocross several times and he tears the course up. The S2K handles better and puts up better times in the autocross, but the MINI is a very fun car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, I have owned my S2000 for about 2 years now and I am very happy with it. It is very quick and light on its feet. I took it out with about 50 other S2000 owners on some crazy country roads and had a blast. Before the S2000, I had a '99 Miata. I completely re-did the suspension on the Miata and made it handle like a go-cart. It wasn't as quick as the S2000, but I think I liked it even more for the way it handled. I felt much more connected to the road in that car. Damn I miss that car ... but I still love my S2000. I think the Elise will fill the void that the departure of my Miata made.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
tidalwdave said:
She's getting my S2000 after I get the Elise, so the MINI is no longer on our to buy list. If it didn't get such bad reviews in Consumer Reports, we might have gotten one after we sell the S2000 in a year and a half or so.
:confused: :confused:

I didn't follow that part.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My daily driver is a modded 2002 MINI Cooper S, and it's just a kick in the a$$ to drive. I've had it coming up on 2 years now, and I still grin while I drive. I haven't had a chance to drive the Elise yet, although my deposit is in at Matheny. I'm certain the Elise will put the "S" to shame, but as far as bang-for-the-buck, I don't think you can really beat the Cooper S. That said, I can't wait to get into the Elise!!

Cheers!
Craig

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Perhaps the Mini is a Lotus in disguise - it has those stupid reflectors on the fenders. And the little peashooter exhaust pipes in the center.

·
Registered
426 Posts
If it didn't get such bad reviews in Consumer Reports, we might have gotten one after we sell the S2000 in a year and a half or so.
Heh. I would buy a car BECAUSE it gets a bad review in consumer reports. That can sometimes be a huge endorsement for most enthusiasts.

I remember the review of the previous-generation 3 series and how they said they could not recommend it (one of the greatest driver's cars of the '90s) because it sustained some damage in their bumper testing. They are ok at testing dishwashers, but I usually take their car reviews with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
963 Posts
atyclb said:
:confused: :confused:

I didn't follow that part.
We were going to sell the S2000 so I could get the Elise. My wife was going to get a car also (MINI S, TL, G35 Coupe?), but she decided that she'd take the S2000 instead of us selling it. So, we are keeping the S2000 (her car), and getting the Elise (my car). :) That probably still didn't make sense. :confused:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
tidalwdave said:
We were going to sell the S2000 so I could get the Elise. My wife was going to get a car also (MINI S, TL, G35 Coupe?), but she decided that she'd take the S2000 instead of us selling it. So, we are keeping the S2000 (her car), and getting the Elise (my car). :) That probably still didn't make sense. :confused:
which car got terrible reviews in CR?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
atyclb said:
which car got terrible reviews in CR?
The Mini. From what I've read on the Mini forums (Yes I cheated Randy:D ) the bugs from the early cars have been all worked out on the 04.
I noticed someone posted that the S2000 handles better... Hard to believe I recall reading in R&T that the Mini placed first in one of their handling categories... Can't remember which one. I was impressed with it... Who else here has driven both? Now I’ve gotta find an excuse to drive an S2000:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hermanslotus said:
Say what you will, but a bone stock Elise will drive rings around a Mini. Yes the Mini is by fare a more practical every day car than the Elise, but when it comes to performance such as Handling and Braking the Elise is the champion.

Mitch
No one here disputes that fact... That is unless the bone stock Elise has a bone stock driver and the Mini has good driver. Throw in some twisty roads and watch the Elise spin round while the Mini eats its lunch:cool:

Both are fun... Elise will give a good drive the upper hand and teach him more about driving... That's why I'm still on the list.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Cooper S -- I test drove one a while back. I thought it handled very well, and it was quite 'fun,' but it was underpowered for my taste (coming out of an M-coupe). Pretty nice for the price, though. But I think the Elise is in a completely different league

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
hermanslotus said:
Say what you will, but a bone stock Elise will drive rings around a Mini. Yes the Mini is by fare a more practical every day car than the Elise, but when it comes to performance such as Handling and Braking the Elise is the champion.

Mitch
I hope so, at twice the price! :cool:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I'm not raging on the Mini. It's a great car for the price. Considering the mini is what low $20's and the Elise is low$40's( with any single option) it's really not fair at all to compare the two. Aside from that they are two totally different cars.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
_JD_ said:
OT Herman, but did the fellas get a chance to test the 111R with the Gtech pro?
The G-Tech Pro is now air born via Fed Ex on it's way to OZ. My shop in Melbourne will have next week. When they get it the testing will begin.

Yes, Fed Ex International Priority takes one week from NY area to OZ. I wish I could get it there faster, but this seems to be the best way for now.

Mitch

1 - 20 of 77 Posts