The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
relise said:
I have driven and I am familar with the MR2 Spyder. Wonder if anyone who has driven both cars could compare and contrast.
Own an MR2 Spyder and spent 4 days thrashing a rental Elise around the southwest of England. It was a series 1 though.

The Elise had the most immeadiate handling of any car I've driven. Think about making a turn and you're doing it. Always fully aware 'in the seat of the pants' of what the rear tires were up to (rental tires ;)), which is confidence inspiring. Savage brakes. Is the US Elise getting unassisted brakes? Thought I was going to give myself a nosebleed. Crappy build quality compared with the Spyder, lots of rattles. Noisily crashed through potholes. Roof awful, wind keeps rain out if you stay above 80. Elise gutless at high speed (the US one should be better), and an absolute hoot in second on empty damp roundabouts.

Probably swap the Spyder for an Elise in due course :cool:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Kev111 said:
[...]the fact is until the Elise gets here it's the lightest car you can drive. Lightness is the key to feeling incredibly nimble and fast.
[...]
The Honda Insight probably weighs less than the U.S. Elise, and it does not feel incredibly nimble and fast. :eek:

;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dan said:
The Honda Insight probably weighs less than the U.S. Elise, and it does not feel incredibly nimble and fast. :eek:

;)
OK, but try adding a couple hundred lbs of bricks and see how that affects the way the Insight feels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
DanH said:
If you wanted to compare to Jap metal, I'd say the S2000 is a better comparison.
... not comparing the same weight range. The S2000 feels much heavier; it is (2900 vs 2200 lbs). Comparing these two is like comparing the feel of an open-wheel formula car with a Nascar.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I would not buy a new Spyder when for $15k more, I can get an Elise. They are world's apart in performance. Even though the Spyder is a fun car that performs well, it's not in the same class. It was designed as a good handling, economical roadster to compete with the Miata, which it does.

Right now, I am thinking quality is going to be about the same in both cars, which unfortunately, does not say a lot about the Spyder. Sorry. I know these cars too well. They have some issues.
I currently have both a 2004 Spyder on order as well as a 2005 Elise. I can't weigh in much on the Elise, though, as I haven't even test driven one.

Why do I have the Spyder on order? I still believe it can win CS at national Solo2 competitions, especially with the addition of LSD. No one knows where the Elise will end up in Solo2, but I'd put money it won't be incredibly competitive nationally wherever it ends up. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't much care as that's not why I'm buying it. My co-driver and I have a lot of development time (him much more than me) in the Spyder and just really enjoy it. I enjoy racing that car and am not sure I'd enjoy racing a car almost twice as expensive. Why? Because what's the point? If the competition is good where you are, there's no reason to go faster just for the sake of going faster. Final stop in that case is always A-mod. :)

The Elise is going to be an incredibly fun car to drive. I'll definitely race it in local events occasionally, too. If it gets classed well and the Spyder is proven to still not be enough for the 1999 Sport Miata, then maybe I'll make a switch in another year. But for now I'm happy racing the Spyder and I'm sure I'll be tickled as heck driving an incredibly great handling and rare machine on the street.

--Donnie

·
Registered
302 Posts
Donnie

What does it take to make the new MR2 competitive nationally in Solo2? Just curious.

Jeff

·
Registered
35 Posts
Tripledigits said:
What does it take to make the new MR2 competitive nationally in Solo2? Just curious.
At least single adjustable Konis, big front bar, light wheels with Hoosiers on them, straight pipe exhaust (cat-back), and a great driver.

Double adjustables on an '04 with LSD *might* be able to beat Telehowski with a great driver, but we don't know that yet. *Maybe*.

--Donnie

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
I am not convinced that you need double adjustables.

I think it's very possible, in fact probable, that a 2004 Spyder with LSD and the above other mods using Konis can be the fastest legal CS car at Nationals.

That is all I am going to say. :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thanks for the answer. Is the car able to get enough camber in stock trim? Nobody's running a late MR2 here in Colorado, dunno why.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
You can add Toyota supplied "crash bolts" to the front to get a more aggressive negative camber, which you need.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts