The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured since there seem to be so many people looking at the S2000 and the Elise, that I'd put together a spec sheet for the two. I've only compared the MY 2000-2003 S2000 to the 2005 Elise, since my S2000 is a 2002. Most of the specs are the same with the 2004 S2000 except for the engine info. If there any key specs missing or incorrect, please let me know.

http://tbas2k.com/fgcl/S2000vsEliseSpecs.htm

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
_JD_ said:
Nice comparison Dave.
Thanks! I keep looking up info in the two myself, so I figured it be easier to just put something together. I was trying to figure out how I was going to put the Elise and the S2000 in my small cramped garage. Comparing the two specs side by side made me feel more postitive that I can get both cars to fit, maybe.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thank you, Dave. I didn't realize the S2000 was so heavy :eek: ... our '94 RX-7 weighs 2800 lbs; 255 (stock) horsepower.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Jeez, now I'm second guessing myself.

Between this thread and the one about Criswell losing a bunch of people off the list.....I'm rethinking my '04 S2000 decision.

My ordered S2000 is on a boat somewhere from Japan. At Criswell, it looks like I'm about 25 spots away from placing an order (maybe less).

I really wish there was a Federal Elise around to test drive. I want my fiance to sit in one too. She's small and with the fixed passenger seat, I want to make sure that she's comfortable and can see over the dash and out the front window.

At this point, I don't want to take a pass on the ordered S2000 because there apparently won't be any S2000 production during the month of May. Something about the production being moved from the Tochigi factory to the Suzuka factory. If I wait and later decide on the S2000, I'll miss most or all of the summer ragtop season.

As if all of this isn't enough, I still don't know if I'm moving out west and I am 3 weeks away from finding out if I'll be getting a significant pay raise -- something that would allow me to buy a new car and not sell anything. That could also effect my decision to move. If I don't need to sell anything, I can keep the S4 as my daily driver -- which would allow for a totally impractical Elise. The best argument for me getting the S2000 was that I'd be able to use it as a daily driver.

Let's hope my S2000 takes its time getting here. If I get the pay raise, I may have to buy the more expensive and less practical car.

Now -- do I hope for the pay raise or not? Hmmm.

Timing is a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
'04 S2000's have larger wheels/tires as well as the increased displacement.

Also keep in mind that the Elise is easily a $43-45K car once you add a option package or two and good paint. The S2000 has no factory options that you need (all cosmetic).

Low mileage S2000's can be had for $22-$25K as well. This puts the price difference at about $20K. Not worth it in my book. The S2000 is the better daily driver if you are going to use it for that purpose and it's also a better weekend drive car in terms of storage, comfort and practicality.

I love the Elise, but I can't justify it over the S2000 at current pricing. Might I pick up a low-mileage used Elise for $28-30K - maybe.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've done a little time in an S2000. No offense intended to any people here, but it drives every bit as heavy as it is, which, IMO, is far too heavy to be considered a lightweight sports car. Don't let its size fool you, it is very heavy. It also has too little torque for its weight. The BMW Z3M also feels heavy, but it seems to have much better low end power than the S2000, even better than the new S2000 motor. I'd suggest that you drive a Z3M (or Z4M if you have the patience and money) before buying an S2000. There have also been some durability issues with the drivetrain of the S2000.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I never seriously considered the S2000. If I want something Japanese I would go with the STI or on the higher end a NSX.
If the Liz weren’t an option I would go with a Boxster... Or maybe wait and get a Noble GTO 3R (0-60 3.4 Sec and can out handle a Caterham):eek:

·
Registered
426 Posts
No offense to anyone that owns an S2000, but the Honda did get lukewarm reviews in European car magazines. Quite a difference from the orgasmic reviews the elise gets. I don't even think you can compare the two.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Joetz said:
No offense to anyone that owns an S2000, but the Honda did get lukewarm reviews in European car magazines. Quite a difference from the orgasmic reviews the elise gets. I don't even think you can compare the two.
Why would the European magazines give the foreign S2000 any real chance. Sorry, but they aren't the most partial reviewers in the world. If you've not driven a S2000 or owned one, you can't judge what the mags say. The S is a blast. I'm not giving mine up. Any you can very well compare the two. The Elise wins, but in the US, they are the best two cars IMHO, if you are into that kind of car category. Take a test drive and take it up to 9k (in a 2000-2003 MY). Reviews are nothing if you own one. I get 25-30 mpg with no problems with my car. It's been out 5 years and people still stop me on the streets to ask about the car.

I love my S!

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Joetz said:
Well that's the problem is that Europe had 3 years of Elise before it saw the S2000. The US had nothing! :D

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
transio said:
Well that's the problem is that Europe had 3 years of Elise before it saw the S2000. The US had nothing! :D
What are you saying, "butt head"? :p You may not like the S2000, but my wife and friends love it! The US didn't have "nothing", it had the S.

www.tbas2k.com

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
uh oh looks like the "butt head" nickname is catching on.:D

as for the s2000, i'd strongly considered it at one point and in a moment of weakness while waiting for the elise i too almost bought one like MW. got an R6 instead.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
huggy bear said:
uh oh looks like the "butt head" nickname is catching on.:D
:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
(not flaming, I like both cars)

A few points that come to mind in regards to the comparison chart:

1. The S2000 comes standard with a limited slip differential.

2. The S2000 comes standard HID headlights.

3. The S2000 meets US crash test standards without an exemption, which is part of the reason it is heavier.

-----

Having owned an '03 S2000 for a year and driven a euro spec Elise for a few days, I can say that the two cars are not really that similar.

The Elise feels lightweight and raw, puts a smile on your face when you drive it, and has quick response for throttle and steering as the result of being so light. With radical styling people are amazed when you tell them that it "only" costs $40k. Considering it for a daily driver is not a logical choice due to minimal comforts, small passenger seat, small trunk, non-automatic roof etc. It's best used as a track car and weekend canyon carver. I will be test driving the US Elise as soon as it is available, and most likely wait to make any purchase decision for a year to see how it does in the market. My concerns are the dealer network, NVH issues that I noticed with the euro car that I had (wobbly shifter, door rattles, chassis creaks, trim pieces falling off), dealer price gouging, and resale values. The Elise is a no-compromise car with minimal utility, the rush to get on the waiting list has been amusing, but I believe that a good percentage of people on the waiting list will back out of the initial purchase, and many of the people that do buy initially will sell in less than a year. It will be interesting to see how the Elise does, I hope it is very successful because we need more cars like it in the US.

The S2000 was previously the most raw car offered in the US (before the Elise), I chose to buy my S2000 because it was more fun to drive than the Boxster S and 350Z. To me the S2000 feels more refined than the Elise... the shifter, the steering, the body structure, the roof, the dash controls, ac/heater etc. are production pieces handled with refinement and thoughtfulness. I've taken it to the racetrack and gone on several *spirited* mountain drives with other S2K owners, it has amazed me with a very high level of performance and competence. I like the fact that the trunk easily holds my golf bag. I like that the soft top goes up (or down) in less than 5 seconds, especially on short trips to the store etc. The 6 speed shifter is the best I have felt on any car, the 9,000 rpm engine feels like it came straight out of a race car. Everything works well, and it hasn't been to the dealer for a problem. I've had a good time choosing from a wide variety of option parts for the S2000, it is well supported by several high quality aftermarket manufacturers. My mods include shorter rear end gears (4.44 vs 4.10 stock) for quicker launches, Eibach Pro Kit springs, Magnaflow exhaust, and lightweight (13 lb) forged Volk wheels. For insurance purposes I estimated that I would drive my S2000 about 5,000 miles last year, but it proved to be so much fun that I ended up driving it 11,000 miles. It is, simply, the most fun car I have ever owned.

My $0.02

·
Registered
788 Posts
"3. The S2000 meets US crash test standards without an exemption, which is part of the reason it is heavier. "

Its my understanding that the Elise passed all the crash standards, except the damage to the bumpers. Although true that making these compliant probably would have added weight, I don't think this waiver necessarily indicates the Elise is any less safe for not complying.

Rather curious how much your mods added to your S2000? The Elise out of the box should be pretty awesome w/o any suspension mod. (not that the S2000 "needs" any either) Have you ever had your car weighed?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
The elise in the crash test was one of the few cars that was driveable after!! It passed with no difficulties.

The waiver has to do with the headlights and bumper standards. The 2.5 mph bumper standard is purely related to damage, NOT safety.

Having said that, I'm sure the S2000 is a very nice car, but would hardly characterize as even a remotely raw barebones car.

Also, LSD doesn't come standard on the elise because the elise engineers determined it wasn't needed on this particular car for street use.

Chris

1 - 20 of 42 Posts