The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a stop sign waiting to turn right, WHAM!!!!!! Sounded like somebody was stomping on a HUGE bag of chips! A Dodge Ram Big Horn edition treated me like a Matador! I’m fine and so was the other driver. She claimed immediate responsibility and the insurance company called me within two hours to confirm they are in fact responsible. I had the clutch in and foot on the brake but was still knocked a few feet into the street. She was on the phone and said she didn’t see me because....direct quote...this ones good......“My trucks so big, I can barely see over the dash, and your car is so small.” Nobody here will be surprised but there was no damage to her truck not even the license plate frame.

How bad is it?? I really don’t want a sports car that’s been wrecked, any car really but specifically a sports car. I went out of my way to avoid ones that had been, even if it had a minor one I moved on. I’ve only had mine since January and have put almost 5K on it, it’s great!!

I’m concerned with two things, one is resale even though I'm not planning on selling anytime soon but now I’m screwed when I do. Two, I don’t feel a car that has been hit is ever 100% again. What are my options, to me there’s a lot of damage including what’s under the trunk carpet which runs atleast to both bolts in the trunk floor. I’m guessing not totaled? Any guesses on the amount to repair?

The alarm does not work now it just keep buzzing like it does if you don't close the doors or leave the trunk open. The trunk also won't latch or lock but it does stay "shut" I can just open it like a trashcan lid now :rolleyes: Pretty sure those two are directly related

~Brian

Lotusrear1.jpg

Lotusrear2.jpg

Lotusrear3.jpg

insidetrunk1.jpg

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
looks to me like you are in for a clam replacement.i dont think you will have any other subframe damage.it was a direct hit in the center of the clam.so i think you will be safe with a new clam and whatever little things that might have been broken.your diffuser and rear panel look perfect.

·
Registered
752 Posts
That looks like cosmetic damage to the clam and probably the sacrificial structure below. Your car will be 100% after the repair. The reason people fear repaired cars is due to structural repairs that are rarely as good as new, but your accident looks so minor that it will most likely be fixed by total replacement of the damaged parts, and your car will be perfect. I'd just take it to someone who knows what constitutes damage to an Elise chassis.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Make sure to take it to some sort of Lotus dealership or someone who works on Lotus to get an estimate that way you aren't screwed out of money. You never know what could have shifted.

Quite unbelievable that she "didn't see you". That's just retarded. She didn't see you because she was too busy on the damn phone. I hate people like that!

Good luck to you!

-Alex-

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
If you always wanted an Exige, this may be a good opportunity.
Elixge?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had exactly the same kind of damage a few years ago ("Oops! I didn´t see your car").
I understand you´re p****d off, but there are only good news here:

It will cost you nothing except some patience.
It´s only a clam damage. the structure (chassis) of your car will stay no matter what.
This accident would have hurt the value and qualities of any other car, but in the case of the Lotus, it will be 100% again once the clam and Trunk are replaced.
I’m concerned with two things, one is resale even though I'm not planning on selling anytime soon but now I’m screwed when I do.
You don´t need to mention the accident since your car will be 100% again.
It´s basicaly like changing the side-mirror. That will not affect performance or security. Or does a new side-mirror affect the value of a car?
Two, I don’t feel a car that has been hit is ever 100% again.
If you feel that after the reparation the car is no more safe, then that will be a psychological thing. There is no reason for lower performance/security here.

Try and take it easy, choosing a Elise and its unique construction saved the value/performance of your car, and you were lucky that this lady insurance takes over.

·
Registered
912 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, I feel better yall think it will be returned to perfect status!! Also great points on how the rear will be totally new and structurally sound. I will also agree that potential for me to question the car on a psychological level after it is repaired does exist, hopefully I won’t. I plan on calling a few more places and deciding on where to take it tomorrow.

Wherever that place winds up being her insurance company (USAA) said it will be a week before they can get somebody out to do a inspection of it. I was told the delay results from the fact I’m not using one of “their approved places.” None of the five on their list I called today even considered taking it, all recommended Amato’s Auto Body though.

I’ll use the search feature to satisfy my curiosity on that “Elixge” concept, sounds intriguing!

Ohh the plate means “Yea I Fit” I’m 6’4” and I get that question all the time…..I think it’s pretty funny. I just got it three days ago and planned to post a pic in the Vanity Plate thread as well. That will have to wait now :cool:

It took some convincing but I got them to give me a rental starting tomorrow, they didn’t want to since it is “driveable.” However I daily drive it unless it’s one of those obvious rain days here in SD. Since I can’t put anything in the trunk or use the alarm I guess they saw it from my viewpoint which is also good.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Regardless of what others say, a car that has been in an accident is worth less than a car that has not. Many potential buyers simply wouldn't consider a car that has been hit. In the current buyers market, why should they when they can get a car with no prior damage for the same money. Someone who understands the concept of clam replacement with no underlying damage may look past a minor accident, but this limits the number of potential buyers. Many people looking for a performance car won't even consider one that has had minor paint work. You might want to think about a diminished value claim to her insurance company and contacting a lawyer experienced in this area. Quite frankly, even repaired, your car is worth less now because it's been in an accident. Any buyer will ask if the car has ever been in an accident. If you say yes, many will look elsewhere. If you say no, they'll likely find your post here and know otherwise.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had a similar hit a couple of years ago that didn't show alot of damage on the outside of the clam but the floor of the trunk was cracked. It was a clam replacment and ran a bit over $10,000. I can't even tell that it was ever relpaced.

·
Registered
752 Posts
You don´t need to mention the accident since your car will be 100% again.
It´s basicaly like changing the side-mirror. That will not affect performance or security. Or does a new side-mirror affect the value of a car?
That sounds a little sketchy. Personally, I'd take pictures of all the damage and have them on hand to show a prospective buyer. Since you're likely filing a claim, you never know if this will end up on carfax or something, and it would be good to have those pictures to prove that your car didn't take a serious amount of damage. Still, most people have these same psychological reactions to an accident as you do, so your resale value is probably lower. Diminished value is something that you can go after from the other driver's insurance, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
That sounds a little sketchy. Personally, I'd take pictures of all the damage and have them on hand to show a prospective buyer. Since you're likely filing a claim, you never know if this will end up on carfax or something, and it would be good to have those pictures to prove that your car didn't take a serious amount of damage. Still, most people have these same psychological reactions to an accident as you do, so your resale value is probably lower. Diminished value is something that you can go after from the other driver's insurance, isn't it?
Dimished value is the first thing I thought of, as the other driver's insurance acknowledged responsibility.

Having (now) been through three hits on my car, I know that a good shop will restore the car to 100%. I've won four of my five concours awards after the car was repaired from one or two of the hits, including a medal at LOG this year. I have two shows entered in August and expect the same of the repairs from my truck tire encounter on the way home from LOG.

My car's a driver...over 34,000 miles, driven coast-to-coast, and simply very well-kept. I enjoy it (including 12 track days so far) as often as I can, usually every day I'm in town from my travels. I light the shift light several times almost every time I have it out, road or track, and unless the car were structurally damaged from an incident will keep 'er for a lo-o-ong time.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I agree entirely... non-disclosure is so shady. Fight for diminished value of a few grand at least, because it WILL hurt you in the end - even if it's repaired to 110% of new. Someone else just never knows if everything is 100% or not. Nor will you for that matter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will definitely look into the diminished value, is that done at the completion of the repairs?

Me? I’m one of those people who treats people like way I would like to be. I would definitely show a prospective buyer all the pictures I have of the accident scene, the aftermath and the finished product. Even then when it comes time to sell I think it will be much harder and agree it will be worth less.

Yes, I went to school at SUNY Brockport from 04-06 after the military, it was my first real experience with snow! I lived in ROC at the time….garbage plates!!! :D

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
That bit about a clam replacement being like replacing a mirror is incorrect. Any sensible buyer will ask for or obtain a car fax. The moment an insurance company pays for a claim like this, the damage will be reflected there. Your car, no matter what at this point, is worth less - even if it were repaired so perfectly that Lotus themself couldn't tell.

I don't know about California laws, but some states do afford the ability to get a deminished value claim. This is a tough fight though and after attorney fees (if you do this yourself - and you will likely have to) you might wind up with half of whatever comes out of it.

I'm with you, I don't know a car can be whole after an accident - even if it is cosmetic. Some people understand more about paint and bodywork than others. I have not looked at any car that has been damaged and never been able to tell. I see blemishes in paint, spray patterns/peel and maskings that others who don't know differently ever see.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Look on the bright side, a paint job in a random shop is going to be much better than the Lotus factory paint job. You're getting an upgrade :D

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Yes, I went to school at SUNY Brockport from 04-06 after the military, it was my first real experience with snow! I lived in ROC at the time….garbage plates!!! :D

ha ha ha!!! rotfl it's so funny you mention g-plates... I have been craving one all morning! rotfl

1 - 20 of 20 Posts