The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. I finally had time to get this done.
First wheel I bought was not in the condition I was told it was.
So I had to wait quite some time to find another.

Thanks to fellow Lotus owner John here in LA who sold me his MINT wheel
for one hell of a deal.

And to duneomatic who made this all possible and is a hell of guy.

Install was a breeze due to the awesome directions
and boy does it make a huge difference. Not only in the looks
but the feel of the car with the smaller wheel just feels a bit more nimble.

Thats all!

Attachments

·
Registered
861 Posts
what's the procedure? does it require an adapter? what about the airbag? is it a 2-stage airbag? Aren't the Esprits equipped with old school single stage airbags?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quad: one of the forum members, Dunomatic made them. Not sure if he has any more. He did mention he might make more if there was a demand when I last saw him. Not sure how HOW it exactly works but it replaces you old wheel with a new Modern wheel from an Elise/Exige. Airbag is fully functional.

Its a bit nerve-racking to put as you are worried about the airbag blowing up in your face but if you follow the very detailed directions you cannot go wrong.

V8Pilot- I'm out of town all next week but I'm game anytime after that.. maybe we arrange a cruise up angeles crest.

·
Registered
744 Posts
nice!

....but i have a question......I wanna make sure when i hit a tree, the airbag will save me.
hopefully the steering wheels will deploy the bag --- or (you know what i mean) class-a

it's different if you buy and replaced the steering wheels knowing there is no air bag
but when you modify a life and death parts .....then it did not deploy.....then what ??

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well clearly, You deal with that.
Just like the people who change out to wheels with no airbag.

As for this option, Duneomatic will not sell you his part without you signing
a release of liability. Which to me is fair enough.

I'm not knowledgeable but I know he is, an engineer I believe.

The system would also let you know if the the SIR system isnt working and
give you a check light. still not 100% but I guess if you want this mod you take your chances.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've installed this as well and its a great kit with fantastic instructions.You are taking a chance with the airbag but I dont see a reason for it not to work.The S.I.R. module would trip a light if the new airbag did not have the proper resistance for the system to function properly.The way I look at it you're still better off with this then a non airbag wheel which would disable both driver and passenger airbags.

·
Anthony
604 Posts
What a huge difference. The interior instantly looks 10 years newer. And the aluminum on the wheel ties in with your other accents! Genius mod.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Elise steering wheel conversion kits

You guys are in luck! I have a few kits left over from the last build. The kit is $300.00. PM me if you want one. They go fast. Thanks for the kind words Marc.
Bob

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Nice looking; Marc where did you get the chrome trim around the gearshift base?

·
Registered
742 Posts
What a difference! :clap:

·
Registered
576 Posts
The Elise wheel does look sharp!

Hey Travis, I have the same in my SE...no airbag, no ABS, and Elise seats. Way preffered over my stock S4.

Airbags are great and save lots of injuries, BUT you are better off with a proper seatbelt worn properly. Note that racecars don't have airbags! Also airbags may fail to activate.

Certainly upgrade to a 4 point harness or similar, then an airbag becomes obsolete.

Front airbags were designed to help prevent injuries to improperly restrained front seat passengers. They actually can cause injuries, which is why alll the warnings about small kids in front seats, and the now mandatory automatic off sensors in passenger seats.

All this is less true of newer side airbags, which are helpful in side impacts even in properly restrained occuppants by preventing head injuries.

So sure have a front airbag in case you "forget" to buckle up, but just in case wear your seatbelt.

Dr Randy

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
In case you are still looking for a good way to make that tan leather look new, the best product I have found is Magic Eraser from the super market.

It's amazing how it can make leather look like new without adding any chemicals into the leather.

Always test a small area first, and never go crazy rubbing really hard with it, or it will do damage. Just light strokes, constant rinsing of the sponge, plenty of dampness, and wipe the water away immediately with a clean towel.

I like the Elise wheel, but I'm glad I chose the 89SE with the Nardi wheel, so I don't have to deal with ABS and that airbag wheel!

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
I just completed an Elise wheel upgrade on my '98 using the adapter kit from Duneomatic. It was flawless. The kit and directions remove any mysteries and mistakes.

The wheel suits the car so much better than the pontiac unit. The wheel is much less bulky, has a smaller diameter, feels quicker and has a "real" Lotus badge.

I would attach photos, but that would be redundant. The result is the same as the post by marc4sgr.

Oh; does anyone need a spare Elise airbag center piece? I have one that has a few scuff marks and the silver rim needs some touch up.

Also have the Elise steering column from the wheel hub down... Good shape.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts