The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got tired of having to both turn the key and push the button to start the car. It's a simple mod to make the ignition switch also start the car. I wired the unused start terminal of the ignition switch to pin 2 of the push-to-start. Now either method can be used to engage the starter.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Cool mod. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Great. I have been considering this also. Thanks

·
2006 Exige
1,118 Posts
How long did this mod take you? Seems like a great idea.

Probably would have been best if they just left the 'cool' start button off of the car since they put the full ignition switch in there anyway. It would save weight too! Maybe I can disconnect the start button completely and use it for my rocket launchers...

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I got tired of having to both turn the key and push the button to start the car. It's a simple mod to make the ignition switch also start the car. I wired the unused start terminal of the ignition switch to pin 2 of the push-to-start. Now either method can be used to engage the starter.
The Pin 2 of the push-to-start is the pin with the black wire, 1 of three black wires???, that goes to the white with red stripe wire on the other side of the plug. The push-to-start switch has 2 rows of pins. the "top" row has two connections, the "bottom" row has three connections. Pin 2 is the center pin in the 3 pin connections.

This is is all based on my 06 Elise.

The modification gives you the best of both worlds! Push to start, if you feel like it. Turn the key, if you feel like it.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
how far did you have to go in dissassembling things? i really like this idea considering the start button isn't even auto starting anyway.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
this is not too bad. hand full of screws to take the cover for the steering wheel cover/Speedometer cover off and the the two screws for the starter switch panel. At my slow pace I would say about an hour. 2 ft of wire and a solder iron.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
I would not be so bad except for the third part of the sequence:
1 put key in and turn
2 Push large button on key fob
3 push the start button

Sometimes it just seems like it is: #1, #3, #2 because I forgot, then #3 again.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
isnt it #2, #1, #3
push tghe large button on the key fob to turn off the alarm (Blinking red light on dash)
Put the key in and turn to on position
push the start button.

with this mod you can also:
push tghe large button on the key fob to turn off the alarm (Blinking red light on dash)
Put the key in and turn to on position
turn the key to the start position.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
That's a neat idea, Bracketguy.

In my case I'm used to the start button approach even though it is clumsy. I've also had some positive feedback from a few passengers about it.

So I'll stick with the status quo.

It would have been nice though if Lotus had allowed the start button to start and stop the car like in the Mini Cooper.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I attempted this last night on my '08. I took off the steering column cover and instrument cluster cover. I then popped off the ignition switch wiring cover. The start connector male blade is about an inch down a hole that is too narrow for a standard female blade connector, and there seemed to be no other way to get to that connector. The opening was also too small for a soldering iron, unless I wanted to heat a long piece of wire with a glob of solder on the end.

So I popped off the piece holding the electrical connectors (thinking I could get to the blade from the other side) and the five pieces of the ignition switch fell onto the carpet. After spending an hour and a half figuring out how to put it all back together, I was no closer to getting to the start connector blade. I pulled and pried a bit, but I could see no obvious release.

So what did you attach to the blade on the ignition switch? Did you have the corresponding female blade connector? Did you cut into or melt the plastic? I considered cutting, but was concerned about the structural integrity - maybe the cover would pop off or not hold the ignition switch pieces together well enough.

Thanks.

·
Elise newb
342 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I attempted this last night on my '08. I took off the steering column cover and instrument cluster cover. I then popped off the ignition switch wiring cover. The start connector male blade is about an inch down a hole that is too narrow for a standard female blade connector, and there seemed to be no other way to get to that connector. The opening was also too small for a soldering iron, unless I wanted to heat a long piece of wire with a glob of solder on the end.

So I popped off the piece holding the electrical connectors (thinking I could get to the blade from the other side) and the five pieces of the ignition switch fell onto the carpet. After spending an hour and a half figuring out how to put it all back together, I was no closer to getting to the start connector blade. I pulled and pried a bit, but I could see no obvious release.

So what did you attach to the blade on the ignition switch? Did you have the corresponding female blade connector? Did you cut into or melt the plastic? I considered cutting, but was concerned about the structural integrity - maybe the cover would pop off or not hold the ignition switch pieces together well enough.

Thanks.
I accomplished this mod this afternoon. For completeness, the trick to getting the ignition switch connector off is to insert a long thin flat blade screwdriver into the center of the connector while pulling on the connector.

Once the connector was off I used a 5/16" drill to drill back through the connector so a 1/4" female spade would slip in. The I routed the bypass wire through the connector, crimped the spade onto the wire, put the spade on the unused switch terminal then reinstalled the switch connector over it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts