The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to convert the hatch of an elise into the sloping fastback style on an exige? is there an aftermarket hatch?

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
You can just put an Exige rear clam on it. $$$$ though.

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
you could put an Exige clam on in place of the Elise one - but that would be expensive. The question has been asked before and I'm sure noone has actually made a fastback for the Elise - you could be the first :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually you can put it ,... but you have to be willing to do some fiber work and reposition the area where the lid will seal up on the clam...google some pictures of the exige and correlate it with the elise ...can it be done yes ...lots of work and might not be a smooth fit ?? maybe....i was looking at doing the same thing and noticed the differences and where it actually seals. The only way to know for sure is to try it out and be the first or find someone that already has done it ...either which way good luck and if ya decided to go for it start a thread and put up your results .

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Unless you're really experienced with fiberglass. I wouldn't attempt it if I were you. The hours, frustration and final outcome will not be what you think. IF it works at all. I would do the rear Exige swap if I were you.

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
is it possible to convert the hatch of an elise into the sloping fastback style on an exige? is there an aftermarket hatch?
Buying a (lightly) used Exige outright probably wouldn't be much more expensive than what you'd get by selling your car plus the $$$ you'd need to convert your car (either by Exige clam acquire/paint/install) or to fabricate something (that probably would look, well, fabricated).

Remember, if you put an Exige clam on the car, you'll also need to get an Exige hardtop to keep the lines for the fake (NA Exige) or real (S) scoop consistent and/or functional.

I believe that buying a new clam does not include the hatch with its related mesh, mounting hardware, and seals.

Gonna be pricey.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Unless you're really experienced with fiberglass. I wouldn't attempt it if I were you. The hours, frustration and final outcome will not be what you think. IF it works at all. I would do the rear Exige swap if I were you.
I told you Knucklehead, I get pm'ed with this question once a week.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
I told you Knucklehead, I get pm'ed with this question once a week.
One of you guys (sponsors) should fabricate an Exige hatch conversion piece.
I think you'd get a Lot of business. Once you made a template, should be easy to make mass production.

I'd certainly get one for the improvement in air flow...the Exige clam conversion is just too much $.

·
Registered
933 Posts
One of you guys (sponsors) should fabricate an Exige hatch conversion piece.
I think you'd get a Lot of business. Once you made a template, should be easy to make mass production.

I'd certainly get one for the improvement in air flow...the Exige clam conversion is just too much $.
I asked knucklehead and TWRD to make one. I'm with you! I would take the first prototype lol. :coolnana:

·
Registered
155 Posts
...or if it all goes wrong you could turn it into a pickup like this...
?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts