The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started her up this morning and got about 1 mile down the road, stopped at a stop sign then as I was pulling away the car immediately died on me. Engine turns over and everything, there's gas in the car, checked the fuses. I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key over for about 2 or 3 seconds. I did press the inertia switch, which made a click sound, so for some reason that was tripped. It still wont start though. Not sure what the problem could be. Maybe a faulty fuel pump, even though I can hear it, it may not be sending fuel? Not too sure :(

·
Premium Member
11,856 Posts
It is too easy to check for spark as the next step. Pull wire from plug in car, attach to another plug which you then ground. If spark, that's OK.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Similar symptoms in that other post. He didn't hear his fuel pump turning on though, I can hear mine. I'll check the spark and also taking the fuel rails off to see gas is being pumped through at all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pulled the fuel rail off and turned it over, fuel definitely came out. So it must be the spark plugs and not the fuel pump. Going to test that out in a bit.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Maybe the PO did this instead of anti seize, looks fine to me on the spark end...

Can you hold it against the block to confirm there is spark when it turns over?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just tested all four plugs against the block and got no spark on all of them. Tried a new plug and still no spark. I also tested the voltage coming in from the ignition coil harness and was getting voltage. So all four ignition coil packs went bad? Seems odd.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Going off this checklist. Resistance of camshaft position sensor is 1100 ohms, so it's not that. Going to check crankshaft position sensor tomorrow. Trying to get to the bottom of this :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Seems like too much of a coincidence to me.

Can you check that the block is properly grounded? To quote from another thread I googled (an ad for an FF HKS Circle Earth Grounding Kit):

"The electrical system in the Lotus is borderline garbage from the factory with only a single ground lead from the transmission to the frame rail. We have been using grounding systems on these cars foe (sic) a while with some good results, especially on forced induction applications."

Kevin

·
Registered
286 Posts
Started her up this morning and got about 1 mile down the road, stopped at a stop sign then as I was pulling away the car immediately died on me. Engine turns over and everything, there's gas in the car, checked the fuses. I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key over for about 2 or 3 seconds. I did press the inertia switch, which made a click sound, so for some reason that was tripped. It still wont start though. Not sure what the problem could be. Maybe a faulty fuel pump, even though I can hear it, it may not be sending fuel? Not too sure :(
Sorry that I can't help with your problem, but this caught my eye. What is the inertia switch? Where is it found, and what is its function? I have never heard of this before.

Good luck and I hope you get back on the road real soon.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Inertia switch is designed to shut off gas supply if you are in an accident, as a safety measure

·
Registered
969 Posts
Seems like too much of a coincidence to me.

Can you check that the block is properly grounded? To quote from another thread I googled (an ad for an FF HKS Circle Earth Grounding Kit):

"The electrical system in the Lotus is borderline garbage from the factory with only a single ground lead from the transmission to the frame rail. We have been using grounding systems on these cars foe (sic) a while with some good results, especially on forced induction applications."

Kevin
Would the starter turn the engine over if the single ground wire was bad/disconnected? I'm thinking the ground is probably good based upon being able to turn the engine over but it would not hurt to use some jumper cables between the engine block and the negative terminal on the battery.
Good luck...

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,377 Posts
Would the starter turn the engine over if the single ground wire was bad/disconnected? I'm thinking the ground is probably good based upon being able to turn the engine over but it would not hurt to use some jumper cables between the engine block and the negative terminal on the battery.
Good luck...
There is also a ground cable going to the head that can cause issues when not connected. I don't have a good picture of it at the moment, but it is on the driver's side of the head.

·
Registered
969 Posts
There is also a ground cable going to the head that can cause issues when not connected. I don't have a good picture of it at the moment, but it is on the driver's side of the head.
Yes, if that ground is bad then I can see the problem might be the answer. Try the spark plug check with a jumper cable connected to the head and negative battery terminal.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,377 Posts
Yes, if that ground is bad then I can see the problem might be the answer. Try the spark plug check with a jumper cable connected to the head and negative battery terminal.
You can try that, but I believe this ground goes into the ECU harness, I'd have to look at the wiring diagram again but it may be for some sensors, coil packs or something else in that harness.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It did seem very odd that I wasn’t getting spark from any of the plugs. I’ll try grounding the head/block and do another spark plug test. Thanks for the responses

·
Registered
150 Posts
in case you want to check that the coils still fire, OBD mode 0x2F, PIDs 0x0161 thru 0x0164 command the ecu to fire individual ignition coils when the engine is off.
I know this is off topic, but does Obeisance know how to make the ECU activate the ABS?

If you google the celica forum, you see a lot of fingers pointing at the crank POS sensor. And they do point out the obvious pun.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,559 Posts
I just went through same sort of diagnosis with another vehicle I just brought back to life. I know a crank position sensor can kill ignition, also cam position sensor. ( ask me how I know...)

Not sure what the usual suspects are on the eliges?

I had never noted that it is on a single ground strap. Will definitely be checking on that next weekend.

Your definitely narrowing the list of suspects down! Hope you get it sorted soon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts