The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Elise wreck...

41K views 114 replies 69 participants last post by  Paul O 
#1 ·
Um, yeah....

No, nothing is for sale yet! ;)
(not the hardtop, not the wheels, etc..)

Anyone have any advice for dealing with insurance? I'm worried that they won't realize what the car is and will handle it strangely.

See less See more
#6 ·
You mean you're worried the insurance will try to repair the car when it perhaps should not be repaired?

I wouldn't worry. Looks like you'll need a new front clam, rear clam, front crash structure, both head lights (expensive), new grille, new diffuser, and probably more.

If that doesn't total it, I'd be surprised :p

#8 ·
You mean you're worried the insurance will try to repair the car when it perhaps should not be repaired?
Not so much that but more that they will play around with prices & pushing to have it repaired at a certain shop, etc...

I came through a tricky corner that caused the rear to get "real light, real quick" and it sent me into a guard rail. Thats not all of the details but to be honest, I'm not sure what all of the details are. I'm heading up tomorrow to take a closer look at it and see if I can figure out what all happened.

#7 ·
So sorry to see this... I sure hope you are ok, the car can be repaired / replaced.

#9 ·
You know what really sux about seeing this? You get to know who is on Lotustalk, you get to see their cars, you get to see their mods... then horribly, you get to see a thread like this...

Sorry man, really... Hope you can get it fixed up. Love that Krypton Green...
Cheers,
Skottoman

#14 ·
I have Progressive and they allowed me to choose the shop. I was certain to use a shop that is highly experienced with the Elise. Hopefully your situation is the same. If they have to repair, it will take FOREVER (if it's done right, of course). My fingers are crossed for it being totalled AND that you are not upside down! (glad you're ok BTW)

#20 ·
I came around a banked corner when it was really cold one night and the back end got real light. I ended up drifting about 40ft until it straightened out.

That was my scare and I ordered new tires the next day....

Sorry to hear of your accident. Hopefully everything will work itself out.....

#59 ·
also had a close call a few weeks ago, im blaming the tire LOL

but on a serious note, glad you are OK, it could have been worse

KG are rare enough, we gotta take another one off the street

as far as insurance...pray it will be claimed as a "total loss", there will be more things wrong underneath it all, and hopefully you get another elise/exige

good luck :shift:

#23 ·
Very sorry for your misfortune. :( I'm glad your ok.

I hope this works out ok for you in the end.

#27 ·
Very sorry to see this, but glad you are ok.

In Maryland state law is that you can take your car to any shop you choose, and you only need to get one estimate. Insurance co's have no control over that. Don't know about Kentucky.

#31 ·
My condolences. The way the rear piece of the clam separated would make it prime garage wall art to keep as a memento if you can get it (You'd have to finish tearing it across to the other side).

I'm concerned with the way the right rear wheel is pointing in the first picture.

I notice in your list of mods that you list a lidbone but it looks like you're using the stock prop in the pictures. Did you have problems with the lidbone?

#45 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

The way the rear piece of the clam separated would make it prime garage wall art to keep as a memento if you can get it (You'd have to finish tearing it across to the other side).

I notice in your list of mods that you list a lidbone but it looks like you're using the stock prop in the pictures. Did you have problems with the lidbone?
A- I really hate to say it but within like 5 minutes after seeing the outside of the car I was already thinking that. "Wow, when this gets fixed I hope I can yank that off the old clam!"

B- My Lidbone rattled like crazy, always sounded like the motor was knocking. When it rattled it seemed like the sound reverberated through the engine lid, which deepened and amplified it. It was fine for the first couple weeks but after a while it got loose and I was never able to get it to the right mix of tight but not too tight. One night I got sick of it and took it off. That and it always hit the engine cover, leaving a mark/indention.

#32 ·
its totaled. If the front and rear clam is damaged they will usually total it. I had a dodge 2500 just back up and hit my front clam with a trailer hitch. Could not have been moving 1 MPH in reverse. Anyway, came to $16,000. The insurance company tried to say it was $10,000, but the final bill was $16 and the insurance had to pony it up.

#51 ·
Sorry for your loss Shaggy. Besides the clams the front crash structure will need to be replaced which is not only an expensive part but also labor intensive. If that doesn't total her, if the suspension pickup points on the rear chassis are damaged that will do it. Coolingmist... 16k to just replace a cosmetically damaged clam sounds totally out of line, was there any other damage? (radiator, crash structure, headlamps?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.