The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit an 18-wheeler tire tread piece as another car swerved to the left shoulder and threw a football-sized metal object at me. The tire tread smashed the front of the Lotus and its grill. The metal piece smashed the passenger lamp cover and fiberglass, as well as punctured my right side tire.

The entire front clam shell will need to be replaced, as well as the lamp cover, passenger reflector, etc...

Where should I go for bodywork near Atlanta, GA? Anyone have any experience with bodywork shops around Atlanta?

My insurance company wants me to go to Bavarian Bodyworks.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,637 Posts
Autoglo in Tucker does great work and has good pricing too.

I've also used Magnum Collision in Marrietta which is another high quality shop. Their pricing was a bit higher though. I'd shop 'em both.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry, no experience.........

But is your name a GT email ID? Affiliated with Georgia Tech?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I used Autoglo for some minor repairs and frankly feel like the car came back in worse shape than it went in. Not to mention, I didn't appreciate them putting on 75 miles and using it as their weekend toy (complete with food wrappers and the like strewn throughout the car). I would say run, don't walk, but RUN from Autoglo. I've seen high school votech groups do better work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes - gte229h was my identity at Georgia Tech (CS '03). Nobody there knows your name, and asks that you include this number on exams. Georgia Tech is definitely a sink-or-swim institute, not a nurturing college.

Thanks for you help guys. I made some call and will have the work done at Magnum Collision in Marietta.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Auto glow in tucker off of flinstone drive (yes).

when a dodge 2500 ran my elise over they replaced and fixed the clam, radiator, crash structure. $14K later as good as new.

This is where lotus of atlanta sends all body work.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Very satisfied with my Autoglow job.

Wow- Dragonrider- not sure what happened. I've only heard great things about them and know at least 5 people that have got fixed up there. - bummer yours didn't go the same.-shrug?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Very satisfied with my Autoglow job.

Wow- Dragonrider- not sure what happened. I've only heard great things about them and know at least 5 people that have got fixed up there. - bummer yours didn't go the same.-shrug?
I guess not being in the immediate area and living 4 hours away had something to do with it. From the time they accepted the job and had me out of their office, things went downhill and fast. It... well, I can't frankly say anything good about them. I did love them leaving a virtually new Gallardo Spyder out under tree's in the pouring rain with the windows open. "Hell, the owner isn't around and that's why we have detailers.." There was standing water and leaves floating in the seats. This was what I saw when I returned to them after 2+ months when they promised me everything was 100% and ready to go. I didn't even get within 50' of the car before I told him it wasn't going anywhere. It was that bad. If they trated a $250K car like that, I don't even want to know what they did to mine.

It was bad enough I wish somehow they just totaled the car so I didn't have to deal with those lying sacks of...

If you are local and can stand on top of them until they get things done right, you might be satisfied. Me? I got screwed and royally so.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
wow, i have some road rash i want patched. i guess i will have to get them to agree to do it while i wait or something. that or go to marietta

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
- Update -

I took my Elise to Magnum Collision Repair Center in Marietta, GA for body work. The original estimate included costs to replace the front clam shell due to the accident described above.

The results?!

I couldn't be happier. Magnum did a great job, and the car is much better than before my accident. I give Magnum high praise, but will have to add a warning...they're expensive. Not only did Magnum fix what was needed to be done, but they also fixed lots of little things that didn't really have to be fixed. Because of the additional work, my original estimate almost doubled. Since my insurance company is picking up the bill, I'm not complaining. Not sure if the extra work was needed, but my car is the better for it, and I'm happy it was done. I recommend Magnum Collision Repair Center for anyone's Elise, but only if someone else is paying the bill.

Cheers,
Richard

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
- Update -

I took my Elise to Magnum Collision Repair Center in Marietta, GA for body work. The original estimate included costs to replace the front clam shell due to the accident described above.

The results?!

I couldn't be happier. Magnum did a great job, and the car is much better than before my accident. I give Magnum high praise, but will have to add a warning...they're expensive. Not only did Magnum fix what was needed to be done, but they also fixed lots of little things that didn't really have to be fixed. Because of the additional work, my original estimate almost doubled. Since my insurance company is picking up the bill, I'm not complaining. Not sure if the extra work was needed, but my car is the better for it, and I'm happy it was done. I recommend Magnum Collision Repair Center for anyone's Elise, but only if someone else is paying the bill.

Cheers,
Richard
Hmmm. Glad your car is all better, but that sounds a little like insurance fraud to me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My insurance company was in close communications with Magnum the entire time. I never requested the work, but glad it was done. The 'additional work' included things like replacing the mud flaps, reconditioning the passenger wheel, alignment of the wheels and lights, even the replacement of the passenger light housing, etc... Again, not sure if it needed to be done, but it's an improvement. I was a little surprised when I found out the estimate and work went up - but again, Magnum did excellent work, which makes me happy, and now the insurance company has a happy customer for life. I think everyone wins...even if it does sound a little like insurance fraud.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
:clap: glad you're happy with the outcome!

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
My insurance company was in close communications with Magnum the entire time. I never requested the work, but glad it was done. The 'additional work' included things like replacing the mud flaps, reconditioning the passenger wheel, alignment of the wheels and lights, even the replacement of the passenger light housing, etc... Again, not sure if it needed to be done, but it's an improvement. I was a little surprised when I found out the estimate and work went up - but again, Magnum did excellent work, which makes me happy, and now the insurance company has a happy customer for life. I think everyone wins...even if it does sound a little like insurance fraud.
I definitely did not mean fraud on your part, just from the shop. But it sounds like they were dealing with your insurance so probably not. I know estimates are just that and often work extends beyond what is initially apparent. So, that work probably did need to be done to get your car into presentable shape ;).

I'm glad the outcome was so good for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts