The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using my suction cup mount to either the rear window or windsheild. Works fine, but I want a more interesting point of view and I want it permanently mounted. The long term plan was to install a bullet cam facing forward and one facing rearward, both feeding into solid state digital recorders with infinite looping and g-force graphics.

Well... that is long term. I was too busy this last month to do much development on the solid state recorder so it slipped schedule some more. I waited until I got the car to figure out how to install bullet cameras.

The rear I still need to tackle and I want to think some more about it. I would not be willing to touch the body of the car, but I could drill and opening in the black metal around the license plate, or perhaps install a flat (very small) camera flush to the surface. Not sure yet.

Today I installed a bullet camera to the front. And even then it is a stopgap measure. Eventually I am going to have machined a custom mount that uses the front towhook mounting screw. For now, I used one of my clamps on the metal that supports the tow hook (very stable) and positioned the bullet camera just peeking through the front grill.

Pic is of left side of crash structure. Wire is from the cam and you see the knob of the clamp mount.

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Driver's side

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The camera

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shown with grill removed

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grill

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Camera in grill. Protected from direct cone hits

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
View of passenger side of the front compartment

Shown wires coming up

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dressed wires with blue tape

Attachments

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, getting the wires up past the radiator was not easy. They really sealed that area off. I had to fish down a stiff tube and then grab it with some hemostats and then use it like fishtape to pull the cable back up thru a very small opening.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a similiar setup on my ducati. I use it for a rear view mirror. My camera was only 1"x1" and had a removable lens, so I was able to drill a hole in my license plate and secure it to the back. That solid state plan would work awesome...I had a camcorder in my backpack that I could connect and record (that setup was on my R6, specifically for a deals gap trip).

Here's a pic: of the duc

Attachments

·
Registered
729 Posts
Randy Chase said:
..........both feeding into solid state digital recorders with infinite looping and g-force graphics.
Nice set up!

Do you have a link with more info on those hardware that you mentioned above? I've always wanted to superimpose Vehicle data onto my miniDV cam, but never find a good way to do so without wiring all those sensors onto the car. It would be great if there is a product like the "G-Tech Pro Comp" that you can plug into the cig lighter and camcorder that does teh trick.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Nice work Randy,

I'm looking at having laser jammers fitted to mine. I think the wiring routes would work for either device. Please post whatever you learn and don't spare the pictures:D

It will be interesting to see what the video that you capture with all those tiny cameras.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Re: Re: EliseCam (pics of the front crash structure too).

mlk_f1 said:
Nice set up!

Do you have a link with more info on those hardware that you mentioned above? I've always wanted to superimpose Vehicle data onto my miniDV cam, but never find a good way to do so without wiring all those sensors onto the car. It would be great if there is a product like the "G-Tech Pro Comp" that you can plug into the cig lighter and camcorder that does teh trick.
Do you mean like this?
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6907

There are two programs, one that just does display (including AVI synched with position playback) and one that prepares input data for it (dead reckoning based on inputs from a G-Tech Comp Pro). I've published the input file format and anyone could write a different program for whatever data aquisition system so that it works with the graphical program.

That's not "superimposed" but two different windows that you can move around. There's a floating window showing just the G forces that you could put on top of the AVI window.

Software is free.

Note: this is a replay type of thing. Not viewable as you drive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts