The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems every forum I go to that elise discussion there's someone who has just driven an US car or knows someone who has but its NEVER a potential buyer or deposit holder, its always some layperson who happened to be hanging around.

This is a quote from a poster on miata.net,

I had a lovely opportunity to ride in one 2 weeks ago, one of the Road & Track guys (name with held) had one at Pro miata Race and my friend was crewing for that team, he let us take the car to lunch and it was fantastic, it feels like a go kart with its response, it had the sport package with upgraded suspension, wheel tire etc etc. The interior is not as wide as the miata, but it definitely has more leg room, 6 footers will have no problem driving it, with the seat all the way back I was perfect in it at 6'3". It scoots boy, on top of being super sexy, one day I will own one.

So, are the journalists keeping these cars? I wish that they could send some press cars to dealers for test drives instead of someones uncle Phil getting to take it to lunch. :no:

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Well Jenn,
They've already sold the car to most of us, now they want to work on the next wave of cars. Our bunch were the easy sell (how many people would buy a car like this site unseen or with limited exposure to it, only a true enthusiast!!
Chris

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I agree, but I also think the cars would get more exposure at a dealership than it would being lent out to people to go get lunch. Could be wrong though.

When I raced mountain bikes similiar situations would happen. The manufacturers would sometimes leave their new bikes in the hands of the journalists who had already reviewed the item. The journalists would let their friends and families or children ride them but the actual bikers never got a shot to look at it or check it out.

I always used to think how much more exposure the bike would get if left at a bike shop where potential buyers and current riders could check it out. I remember one bike in particular, a $7,000 number, all titanium and carbon. It was a beauty. I was dying to have a look at it but the 8 year old son of a dirt rag magazine writer had it and was attempting to ride it up and down in the gravel parking lot of the race venue. He wasnt even tall enough to ride it and kept falling over in the dirt with it. I guess Im scarred from that event. :)

Or maybe Im just jealous uncle phil who cant even afford one got to go get his lunch in the car and Ive ordered two but still havent driven one....and cant wait till they get here.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I've never driven, sat in or seen one in person but I have one on order - am I stupid for spending $40K sight unseen?

And I'm already thinking about getting the next version of the Elise, whatever that will be. Do I need therapy? Surely there is a therapist (the rapist?) on this Forum who can give me cheap, discounted professional advice.

·
Registered
493 Posts
am I stupid for spending $40K sight unseen?
No. That's how I bought my Boxster. My wife bought me a half day stock car racing school. When the day was over I went straight to the hotel room, called up a Porsche dealer and bought the only Boxster on the lot sight unseen and never having driven one.

Never looked back, and I don't plan on looking back on the Lotus purchase either.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Stupid, no. Sick, yes. :D

Right now the biggest thing keeping me from getting on the list is that I've never sat in one (I have seen them on a few occasions). Regardless of how many big people say they fit, I have to try it to be sure (I'm 6'3", 235 lbs).

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
When the new MINIs first came out, one of the local dealers' demo cars (the nicest specced one, of course) went "missing" for a week or so, turned out the dealers' family were jetting around in it using it as their personal ride and having a great old time !

·
Registered
670 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
Seems every forum I go to that elise discussion there's someone who has just driven an US car or knows someone who has but its NEVER a potential buyer or deposit holder, its always some layperson who happened to be hanging around.

I got rather upset at seeing the first pix of that bordeaux red
test car, AT A DAMN MIATA CLUB OUTING. Why wasn't it at a Lotus dealership ? It frosted me to have 2 $1k deposits at two different dealers with no car to see or drive and the Lotus guys are handing keys out to Miata Club members. I've now ordered
and have yet to drive one. I do live in LA so at least I got to see and sit them before ordering.

Steve

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Sown,
The bordeux car at the Miata club meet (it was a 111R btw). was there by the grace of Clyde at Lotus, who put it out for the folks to get a look at. Clyde's a Miata guy too.
Chris:)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
cerven said:
I've never driven, sat in or seen one in person but I have one on order - am I stupid for spending $40K sight unseen?

In a word: yes. ;)

Frankly, I would not be interested in purchasing any car without having seen it in person. And I would be very reluctant to purchase a car without taking it for a test drive.

I placed my deposit immediately after seeing my first Elise. Fortunately, I was able to test drive the Euro version a month later, which confirmed that it was the right car for me. I was very nervous, because I was afraid that the test drive would reveal some fatal flaw and I would have to look for something else. But it didn't. Of course, I haven't driven the Fed version, but I was so happy with the Euro version that I am willing to extrapolate my experience and approve the Fed car sight unseen.

Obviously you have seen enough pictures and heard enough discussion to have a pretty good idea of what you are getting into. But I still would have a tough time doing what you are doing. I don't know if I could buy a color that I haven't seen, much less an entire car.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
cerven said:
Absolutely not! Because if that were the case, I would be stupid, too... ;)

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
OneFastMiata said:

So, are the journalists keeping these cars? I wish that they could send some press cars to dealers for test drives instead of someones uncle Phil getting to take it to lunch. :no:
I've spoken with some journalists who drove them at the press launch at barber, but none of them got to take a car "back to the office" for testing. But I would not be surprised if some of the cars from the press launch are now with the more significant auto mags. (Hopefully for the purpose of truly deep road testing reports; not "here's the Lotus history lesson" fluff that we've been reading to date.) FWIW, press launch cars might be for just that -- the press. And dealer demo cars might be for just that -- dealer demos.

As for putting the cars in the right place for proper exposure, if R&T can reach 1,000,000 people with one car, that's far more than what, say, SVAG (my dealer) can achieve with one car.

TV has even greater reach. It's sick, but true.

·
Registered
22 Posts
cerven said:

And I'm already thinking about getting the next version of the Elise, whatever that will be. Do I need therapy? Surely there is a therapist (the rapist?) on this Forum who can give me cheap, discounted professional advice.
This sounds to me like a very sensible, intelligent, smart, generous and charming person.

You certainly do not need any kind of professional advice or therapy.

Be completely assured that what you did is perfectly normal.

Oh, did I mention that I have been driving various Elises as my everyday car for the last couple of years?

:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts