The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread I was asked about which products an expecting owner should purchase to treat the new car properly.

I decided to put together a special bundle for the enthusiasts waiting on cars. The package includes the basics you need to get started maintaining the finish of your new Elise. Please click the link for a full description.

Lotus Starter Bundle

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I am really into detailing and have to say the products offered here are terrific. Klasse All in One and P21S are excellent. I would recommend the Klasse Sealant Glaze after the All in One and then the P21S!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
After looking at your website I've chalked up over $600 worth of stuff I want to get... -eek- :D

Edit: Just bought it & a few other goodies!

Edit 2: Can you wash microfiber towels without destroying them? I prefer chamois but they enventally get crappy enough I end up having to buy a new one.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yes you can wash micorfiber cloths and they come out great, however, do not dry them in a dryer, they will collect all the lint. Hang them to dry!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
James A-Thanks for mentioning your experience. With the bundle, there is a $20+ savings over buying the products individually. I also made sure the bundles came in at over $100 so you could get free shipping. :)

Thanks Shinoo!

Lotus Fury-Thanks for the order! Quality MF is rated to more than 400 wash cycles. As James A pointed out, heat is the enemy. However, our towels have been tested for dryer use. My suggestion is to keep the heat on low. When washing and drying, be sure not to mix your MF with other textiles. The MF will pull the fibers from anything else in the wash. You also want to be careful not to drop your towels. They tend to grab onto anything that is grabable.

girlracer-Orders placed before 3:00pm MST will ship the same day. We use DHL which will get you a tracking number and a delivery estimate. If you want something overnighted, it's best to call us for a shipping quote, so we can give you an exact price.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I placed an order last night.Modified the bundle slightly for my own needs...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Apologies if this has already been covered or is covered on your website, but I have a question about the relative merits and possibilities of "mixing" these products.

I've been a longtime user of Mother's Pure Carnauba (Paste) wax, and am generally very satisfied with my results.

I have heard here and elsewhere that some of the synthetic products such as Zaino have a substantially longer "staying power", but these seem to require multiple applications. Also it seems that some people as stated above use a synthetic and then a carnauba-based wax on top. Is this a good practice and if so, why ?

Can you summarize (based on your experience and opinion) some of the differences in terms of application methods, resultant finish and durability) between Zaino, Klasse, P21 S vs. a Carnauba paste wax like Mothers? I understand that P21S is a carnauba-based product, BTW.

Thanks !

Mike G.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
James A said:
Yes you can wash micorfiber cloths and they come out great, however, do not dry them in a dryer, they will collect all the lint. Hang them to dry!
and wash microfiber cloths seperately than other towels or other items.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
How well will these products work for "normal" cars? If my car has not been "ultra detailed" in the past, would using these products now add anything to the finish?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
James A said:
I have no problems drying mine in the dryer--just make sure it's on a low setting

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
For cars that have not been detailed in the past, it is likely that you would benefit from some additional preparation. You would have to give a few more details about the condition of your car, but a mild polish would be a good place to start. Nick's package offers the option of either Klasse AIO or P21S paste wax, and as you might guess, is designed for your new car. The Klasse has some chemical cleaning activities and will improve the finish quality. P21S is purely a cosmetic and protective layer.

You may require something with more polishing characteristics than Klasse AIO, and for that, Nick has lots of products on his website to accomplish this. Probably the next step up would be Einszett Metallic Polish, though I'm not sure how much more aggressive it is.

My suggestion is to call Nick, describe your paints condition, and he can recommend some additional products or you can put together a different package if your car is not brand new.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mikester said:
Apologies if this has already been covered or is covered on your website, but I have a question about the relative merits and possibilities of "mixing" these products.

I've been a longtime user of Mother's Pure Carnauba (Paste) wax, and am generally very satisfied with my results.

I have heard here and elsewhere that some of the synthetic products such as Zaino have a substantially longer "staying power", but these seem to require multiple applications. Also it seems that some people as stated above use a synthetic and then a carnauba-based wax on top. Is this a good practice and if so, why ?

Can you summarize (based on your experience and opinion) some of the differences in terms of application methods, resultant finish and durability) between Zaino, Klasse, P21 S vs. a Carnauba paste wax like Mothers? I understand that P21S is a carnauba-based product, BTW.

Thanks !

Mike G.
Vantage made an excellent summary on a previous thread. It is down near the bottom of the page.Comparing synthetic to carnauba

I like to layer a carnauba over a synthetic. Basically, I'm busy and don't want to HAVE to wax my car. I coat of synthetic will give me the durability I want so waxing isn't a necessity. I like the look of a carnauba, so for a show, or if I have time, I will put a layer of carnauba over my synthetic.

Much of durability depends of driving environment, so there is no magic number of how long a wax will last. On a daily driver in Denver, I get about four months out of a synthetic. I get about two weeks from P21S. Our sun here is pretty intense and thus hard on wax products. A rainy environment may yield similar results, but for different reasons.

There are vast differences when you compare an off-the-shelf product to a boutique product. Companies like einszett or P21S will use a higher grade of chemical, more active chemicals with less water and product filler. Quite simply you get a higher concentration of better product. A mass-produced wax will have a large amount of preservative for shelf life, lower quality chemicals and more water or inert filler. I'm not suggesting a wax from your local auto parts store is bad. You simply have to decide if a boutique wax is worth 3x as much money. I have found the differences to be subtle, but if I spend a chunk of money on a car, $30 for a "better" wax isn't a big financial drain.

You said you currently use Mother's. It is a wax I am familiar with and have used extensively in the past. I thought it was pretty good until I used P21S. I think P21S gives the paint more depth and warmth. There is a thickness to paint that just isn't there with Mother's. At $30, I felt like P21S delivered. I have recently been using Swissol Saphir as a carnauba topper. I think it looks better than P21S. At $120 a jar, I'm not sure it is that much better. But, when you move from a car show to a concours the subtle improvement can be the difference between first and second place.

That said, this discussion is almost putting the cart before the horse. Even the best wax will not make a poorly prepped car look great. However, good prep tends to level the playing field for an average wax. Like Abe Lincoln said, "Give me three hours to cut down a tree and I will spend two sharpening my ax." I will spend 5 hours with clay and polish and 30-45 minutes with the wax. When I am done prepping the paint, wax is almost an afterthought.

I don't think I specifically answered your question, but if you want me to try again, I could give it another shot.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>At $30, I felt like P21S delivered. <<<

Well P21S is also marketed as S100, for 1/2 the price. Same exact product, same exact container, same foam pad, different label. S100 is sold at Harley and other motorcycle dealers.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Stan said:
>>>At $30, I felt like P21S delivered. <<<

Well P21S is also marketed as S100, for 1/2 the price. Same exact product, same exact container, same foam pad, different label. S100 is sold at Harley and other motorcycle dealers.
Yeah just one problem, can't get myself to walk into a Hog dealership and see all the leather clad RUBs posing. It would be torture not worth the $15 savings.:D

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>Yeah just one problem, can't get myself to walk into a Hog dealership and see all the leather clad RUBs posing. It would be torture not worth the $15 savings.<<

So..how many would you like then? I'll charge ya 20 bucks apiece - J/K.

You can also get S100 at non Harley motorcycle dealers. Basically S is marketed to the two wheel crowd and P to the four wheel gang. Only the label is different.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey Nick,

Ever think of making a "How-To" video covering all different stages in prepping, waxing and upkeep? By hand and with tools would cover all bases.

Probably take quite a bit of effort, but would probably generate some level of income on the site.......

Has this market niche already been filled? If so, who makes a good how-to video for semi-professional results?

1 - 20 of 120 Posts