The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys:

Alright i had a little one on one time with my new girl. My previous tread was titled Barn Fresh 2000 Lotus Esprit with problems....Help!
Anyhow, i took the advice and ran with it! I double checked the oil it is the recommended 15-50w Mobile1 syn. So that means something else is causing the oil pressure tell tale to flicker???

I also purchased the Scan Tool off Amazon. Our forum friend ESPREE recommended, which leads me to several questions to him or anyone else who is familiar with the software. Loaded software and hooked up without much difficulty. Now it spits out two codes immediately. I tried to get some specifics on the codes and it refers to a Acura, Saab and something else. But not a Lotus?
Getting a P1301 and a Lean code i think it was P1701. How accurate is this info. if it thinks it is talking to another car. Can i plug in specific information about my car? Any how to stuff on this software on line somewhere?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Glad you got the reader working. Once you've gotten those codes written down, the next thing I would do is use the software to clear out the codes. Then drive it a bit and see if they come back. Who knows - maybe they are quite old and no longer relevant.

I think the service manual may have a list of various codes, but you can also do some searching online. Here is a thread that might be useful:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f154/doing-some-research-obd-code-p1301-2-3-4-a-22322/

Looks like a misfire.

What is it idling at? If the idle is too low (say under 800) then you might get the oil light flickering. With that software you can "relearn" the idle. There are a few threads here on how to do that.

But if the idle is ok and the oil is proper, it could be something like a blocked oil pickup tube, debris in the oil filter, or the clearances in the system somewhere being too big (I.e if your bearings are very worn or the wrong size). Just some wild speculation though. Maybe someone else can offer more specifics.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Many codes are Lotus specific. Any reader can get generic codes. Your P1301 is a misfire code triggered my fluctuations in crankshaft speed. Most likely caused by a problem in the secondary ignition system. A spark plug, an ignition wire or a coil pack. Also do a compression test. The P1701 is not a legit code. Get a mechanical pressure gauge and check the oil pressure to see if it is an instrumentation problem or you really do have an oil pressure problem. If the MIL light is not on, these are stored codes and may no longer mean anything. It can't hurt to erase them and see if they come back.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
667 Posts
I agree with David - use a real pressure gauge to see if you actually have an issue. Minimum pressure on the V8 is 20psi at idle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts