The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use this on their car?

I just bought one off of Ebay for less than $60. I let you know if it works.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Due to incredibly fast shipping, I got my Elmscan today. So I quickly installed the software and drivers and tested it on my Exige and my Avalon. It appears to work on my Lotus but so far I can't seem to get it to link to my Avalon.

I don't have any current MIL's on the Lotus so I can't really see how well the scanner works. But some of the real time parameters (like coolant temperature) that you can follow do have readings while the engine is not running.

I'll keep testing it and give another update.

BTW, this unit does not appear to be a true USB unit. I believe it is uses a serial to USB adapter judging from the drivers and the presence of a serial plug on one end of it.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
the elm chips are all RS232/serial, so you'd always see a serial<>usb conversion going on for the usb versions.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the elm chips are all RS232/serial, so you'd always see a serial<>usb conversion going on for the usb versions.
any opinion on the elm chips? i bought because it was cheap and appeared to do as much as an actron unit close to 3x its price.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
they're ok, cheap and cheerful and they are in a lot of interfaces, they don't work on 1mbps CAN but hardly anyone uses that anyway.

the software that they connect to is the bit to really care about, palmer performance pcmscan is the common one these days.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they're ok, cheap and cheerful and they are in a lot of interfaces, they don't work on 1mbps CAN but hardly anyone uses that anyway.

the software that they connect to is the bit to really care about, palmer performance pcmscan is the common one these days.
Yeah, I was really just looking for a cheap option this time around. I had tried an Actron but it wouldn't link.

I'll probably go with something like Autogenuity if I ever get more sophisticated.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The unit worked on the previous generation RAV4 but didn't work on a BMW 135i. Still works on my Lotus so the hardware/software is still functioning correctly.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Worked on my 2003 Nissan Murano.

This unit does not have freeze frame capability. Also no emissions prediagnostics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts