The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yikes, I'm supposed to race tomorrow, I just got new tires on the car (slightly wider) and now my MIL light is on. Is it common for changing to bigger tires to cause this? The car doesn't appear to be drving differently. No Lotus shop within 300 miles of here so I'm stuck.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Yikes, I'm supposed to race tomorrow, I just got new tires on the car (slightly wider) and now my MIL light is on. Is it common for changing to bigger tires to cause this? The car doesn't appear to be drving differently. No Lotus shop within 300 miles of here so I'm stuck.
Pull the code...i've never had a CEL for running wider tires.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
The only way possible that I could see wider tires causing some kind of MIL light (and this is a TOTAL guess) is if you damaged one of the ABS sensors during the wheel swap.

·
Registered
856 Posts
FYI, USUALLY the MIL lights are emissions related. Get a cheapie scantool from autozone to check the code. Clear it and cross your fingers. You should look into what is throwing the code too and try to fix that as soon as you can.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Most parts stores will have a loaner that you can use right in the parking lot.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
take your gas cap off & put it back on........ worth a try.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Usually if it's a steady light, it's not that serious; if it's flashing then you need to worry. Go to the track and have fun. :) And buy a code scanner, you can get a cheap one for $50 or so.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

Didn't realize I could check the code myself. Got it done and am getting my own scanner, thanks, didn't know it was that easy. Turned out that running it on fumes after last week's track day caused the problem. Thank you all so much! :clap:

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Didn't realize I could check the code myself. Got it done and am getting my own scanner, thanks, didn't know it was that easy. Turned out that running it on fumes after last week's track day caused the problem. Thank you all so much! :clap:
So what exactly is the code for "Empty Gas Tank?" :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
if front to rear is the same size the abs computer will see diffent wheel speeds.which can turn on the light

1 - 11 of 11 Posts