The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will taking a long drive trip soon, and I would like to know what things all of you think I should carry with me in the trunk of the Lotus. I already have a second can of fix a flat. Anything else?

·
Registered
841 Posts
I carry everything I need to do roadside wheel removal and repair. Hockeypucks, jackstands, wheel chocks, torque wrench, breaker bar, sockets, tire plug kit, air compressor. I also carry an aluminum floor jack in the passenger compartment to lift the car.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I will taking a long drive trip soon, and I would like to know what things all of you think I should carry with me in the trunk of the Lotus. I already have a second can of fix a flat. Anything else?
On my last long trip I carried nothing (that's why I have insurance). If I was worried about an emergency I would have packed a cooler filled with ice and beer.

San

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I just take my wife and my dog with me. I trust the car.

·
Registered
686 Posts
A gun :p

·
2013 Evora S since 11/13
243 Posts
I haven't taken a trip over 100 miles yet but I have jumper cables, a bag with a Ball-peen hammer in case I need out and for some reason the door electronics fail, misc set of mini-fuses, some basic screwdrivers, some detailing supplies because heck, ya never know and my AAA card for the rest.

·
Registered
890 Posts
What to carry?

I keep an Actron Autoscanner code reader/reset (CP9580A) in the trunk netting. A compact portable VIAIR battery operated tire pump and patch kit as well.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would take... AAA card... ;) oh and maybe a tire pressure gauge and some fuses but otherwise I would AAA anything else. Its not fun fixing a lotus on the side of the road (ask me how I know lol).

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Portable odb scanner
Fuses
Fix a flat
seloc app for your phone
Tire gauge

·
Registered
257 Posts
I always carry

Tire plug kit
Battery operated compressor
Fully charged Jump starter (I had occasions that when left for a few days the parasitic load drained my battery)

...and my cell phone

·
Vroom vroom
507 Posts
Quart of oil, tire gauge and 12v inflater. The vast majority of flats will hold pressure long enough to take you to a shop. For a longer trips I would take a spare belt. More than that is overkill, all you need is a fat wallet!!!

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Air compressor
Tire repair kit
Tire spray repair tin
Fuses
Phone number of All Lotus dealers on the route
Extra set of car keys

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
A support vehicle and Jim 'the Lotus Mechanic' from Treasured Motorcars.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I had one of these compressors in one of my cars when the front right tire ruptured @ 200 kph. So I pulled over to the shoulder and thought this would be my chance to try the damn thing out. Then I saw the tire carcass hanging out, there was nothing left to fill.

My conclusion is that these things are generally useless. The probability of a flat with today's tires is very small, but when they rupture the chance of fixing them is even smaller.

·
Vroom vroom
507 Posts
I had one of these compressors in one of my cars when the front right tire ruptured @ 200 kph. So I pulled over to the shoulder and thought this would be my chance to try the damn thing out. Then I saw the tire carcass hanging out, there was nothing left to fill.

My conclusion is that these things are generally useless. The probability of a flat with today's tires is very small, but when they rupture the chance of fixing them is even smaller.
My wife's car gets pinhole leaks all the time. Couldn't disagree with you more, the inflator is a life saver!

·
Premium Member
12,147 Posts
Couple of things:

1. Slime was the best sealant when tested about 7 yrs ago by a motorcycle mag.

2. Plug kit is handy.

3. Attach long wires and alligator clips to the compressor. Have seen many a blown fuse when using the accessory/lighter socket. Even a melted socket or two.

4. The rear tire typically gets the flat. Front tire flings up the puncturing item.

5. Never seen a ruptured tire on any of my cars in 49 yrs of driving.

6. Do NOT use the shoulder, esp on highway, if avoidable. That's where the debris ends up.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts