The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the Pittsburgh auto show, very nice. Same old conversation, small when you see it, roomy when you get in, blah blah.

But, what I think its great is the fact that they have to have the emergency trunk release. And I also think it's great that everyone has to have their picture taken holding it.

So, post your Emergency Trunk Release pictures here!

No cheating, its gotta be YOUR hand.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
If you are going to post the pic, at least you should follow the instructions. The picture clearly shows you should use an overhand grip, not underhand as you did (you are dangerously misinforming people) and then you have to leap from the trunk and run away...:D

obviously you would never make it as a flight attendant...:D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ahh, this is good information. If you are a member of the soprano's family, you should make sure to cut that cable off.

·
Registered
206 Posts
What a silly thing.

Unless you're a young Herve Villachez (and I'm sure you're not cause he's dead) I doubt you're getting yourself locked in the trunk.

How about this, I'll give one dollar to the first person who presents an unaltered photo of someone in the trunk of an Elise. Just remember, $1 will not cover any medical expenses or visits to the chiropractor. :)

Hugs,
Jim

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
You can thank these people - I promise this is legit - you can't make this stuff up

http://www.kidsandcars.org/trunc/mission.htm

Thank you for your interest in TRUNC*. TRUNC is an organization whose mission is to make it mandatory for all automobiles to have trunks that can be opened simply and quickly by children or adults trapped inside.

People are locked in car trunks more often than you might imagine. Knowledge about this issue is further complicated by the fact that no statistics were previously available for how frequently this happens.

We have accumulated over 1600+ cases where people were confined in a car trunk. Once the victims are forced inside the trunk of a car, they are entombed without a means of escape. In 20-25% of these incidents people have died as a result of being locked inside the trunk of a car (300+ deaths). Some trunk entrapments are accidental; as when children are playing and lock themselves inside, or when teenagers are playing a prank. In most of these situations, a trunk release could have helped or even saved their lives.

Automobile manufacturers know about this issue but refuse to place a trunk release device in the trunks of their vehicles. They sympathize with the victims; but give mainly two reasons why they will not consider an inside trunk release.

When criminals realize the trunk has a release device, they will dismantle it before placing a victim inside.
When criminals realize all trunks have inside trunk releases, they may harm the victim before locking them in the trunk.
Response: Our research indicates that criminals are not thinking of what is inside the trunk of a car at the time of the abduction. The abductor uses the trunk as a "prison" to quickly move the victim to a more secluded location where the crime is committed; or abandons the car leaving the victim locked inside the trunk. We recommend that auto manufacturers design the trunk release so that if tampered with, the trunk would not lock at all, or the car would not start. An inside trunk release enables the victim to escape anytime the car is stopped, (i.e., at a red light, stop sign, etc.) or somehow bring attention to themselves.

Also, automobile manufacturers have never addressed the fact that innocent children have died after accidentally locking themselves inside a car trunk. After 1 death and 11 "close calls" of children locking themselves inside the wheel wells (rear side storage compartment) of station wagons; auto manufacturers immediately recalled all station wagons. Why is the trunk of an automobile any different from the wheel well of a station wagon?

TRUNC is a small group handling a problem of major proportions. There seems to be a great deal of apathy surrounding this problem in face of the FACTS!
The law requires that refrigerators and freezers must be escapable, so why not these "prisons" on wheels?

Please help us.

:)

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
and taking it one step further:

But research done by GM and shared with the agency showed many young children would not successfully use a trunk handle to escape. The youngest children, including the vast majority of 3-year-olds, were likely to be passive and stay trapped inside.

That prompted GM to work on a motion and heat detection system that automatically opens the trunk if anyone is trapped inside and the car is in park. The system will be in the Chevrolet Impala sometime during the 2000 model year and the company plans to put it on most family cars by 2002.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who volunteered their 3 year olds for this test?

Come to think of it, it would be kind of hard to see the instuctions if you are locked in the dark trunk - is there emergency lighting?

What is next - an emergency phone in the trunk like they have in elevators???:D

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
ivan1 said:

Come to think of it, it would be kind of hard to see the instuctions if you are locked in the dark trunk - is there emergency lighting?

I think that is why the release is nade from glow-in-the-dark material. :)

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I can just imagine some kids trying to close themselves in the trunk to see it glow in the dark - cool.......

Besides which, anyone who could drive around without realizing there is someone locked in the trunk of their elise is an idiot - obviously the change in F/R weight distribution would have a significant effect on handling.:D

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
ivan1 said:
I can just imagine some kids trying to close themselves in the trunk to see it glow in the dark - cool.......
good point! :eek:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Can we do an elisetalk fundraiser to buy Cranium some moisturizer? I am not sure that he has a future as a hand model:)

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
This discussion reminded me of joke - I promise this is my last post on the trunk topic as I probably should have quit a few posts back:

THE SPEEDER

Woman: Is there a problem, Officer?
Officer: Ma'am, you were speeding.
Woman: Oh, I see.
Officer: Can I see your license please?
Woman: I'd give it to you but I don't have one.
Officer: Don't have one?
Woman: Lost it 4 times for drunk driving.
Officer: I see...Can I see your vehicle registration papers please.
Woman: I can't do that.
Officer: Why not?
Woman: I stole this car.
Officer: Stole it?
Woman: Yes, and I killed and hacked up the owner.
Officer: You what?
Woman: His body parts are in plastic bags in the trunk if you want to see.
The Officer looks at the woman, slowly backs away to his car, and calls for back up.
Within minutes 5 police cars circle the car. A senior officer approaches the car, clasping his half drawn gun.
Officer 2: Ma'am, could you step out of your vehicle please!
The woman steps out of her vehicle.
Woman: Is there a problem sir?
Officer 2: One of my officers told me that you have stolen this car and murdered the owner.
Woman: Murdered the owner?
Officer 2: Yes, could you please open the trunk of your car, please.
The woman opens the trunk, revealing nothing but an empty trunk.
Officer 2: Is this your car, ma'am?
Woman: Yes, here are the registration papers.
The first officer is stunned.
Officer 2: One of my officers claims that you do not have a driving license.
The woman digs into her handbag and pulls out a clutch purse and hands it to the officer.
The officer snaps open the clutch purse and examines the license. He looks quite puzzled.
Officer 2: Thank you ma'am, one of my officers told me you didn't have a license, that you stole this car, and that you murdered and hacked up the owner.
Woman: 'Betcha the liar told you I was speeding too.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Patricko said:
Can we do an elisetalk fundraiser to buy Cranium some moisturizer? I am not sure that he has a future as a hand model:)
And if you zoom in on his hand, he has kind of hairy palms too...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I thought the elise trunk would barely fit a duffle bag. Wouldnt you have to be a midget or Carnival worker to fit in the trunk of one of these? Or I guess you could be smuggling children?

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
I thought the elise trunk would barely fit a duffle bag. Wouldnt you have to be a midget or Carnival worker to fit in the trunk of one of these? Or I guess you could be smuggling children?
The law is the law:)

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
jdw5155 said:
How about this, I'll give one dollar to the first person who presents an unaltered photo of someone in the trunk of an Elise. Just remember, $1 will not cover any medical expenses or visits to the chiropractor. :)
I'll do it! I'll do it! It will be super funny!

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
I'll do it! I'll do it! It will be super funny!
I will add $1 to the pot if you can get your friend in with you:D

Patrick
2005 Elise

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Piece of cake - even with the soft top in there....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts