The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Emergency Unlock Switch – Easy Mod Pictorial

A few of us have had door lock and alarm unlock issues. Here is an easy mod that shows how to install an emergency unlock door unlock switch in the boot.

Below is a picture of the Inertia Reset switch in the car. This switch is tripped when an Elise is hit and it turns off the fuel pump and automatically unlocks the doors.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Disconnect the wiring harness to the switch. Be careful you will need to contort your arm a bit to get at it. The harness has a plastic release on it and then it just slides out.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are three wires that connect to this switch. The center White wire is the one that goes to the Central Door Locking Mechanism. When ever this wire receives +12 volts, the doors automatically unlock.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I connected one of the wires to my +12 volt lead on the battery. I recommend you have a fuse between the battery terminal and the switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ran the other wire through the rubber grommet in the trunk that connects to the engine bay. Sorry no Picture. I then connected that wire to the White wire in the wiring Harness.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now is when you want to lock the car doors with the central lock. Then press the switch to make sure all your connections are good. The doors should unlock.
I then wrapped that connector with electrical tape.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I then carefully tucked my wires behind the Battery cover and replaced the battery cover. I am not sure of the clearance between the switch and the stock battery since I replaced mine with the Oddessey P680. However, if you have the stock battery you can place this switch anywhere in the boot.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All in all it took 30 minutes, but I was taking a lot of pictures. Now I have piece of mind that I can unlock my doors incase of an emergency. :nanner2:

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Great job - nice pics! :up: :up: :up: :up:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Cleverly done, but it sounds like most people have had a problem unlocking their doors when the battery has died, which this will not solve.
I guess everyone's fear is having the fob/alarm suddenly stop working properly when the top is on and the windows are up, but I do not think that will happen very often in practice. It all comes down to the odd design where the key does not have anything to do with the alarm or the automatic door-locking mechanism.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Tyger said:
It all comes down to the odd design where the key does not have anything to do with the alarm or the automatic door-locking mechanism.
You know what...I'm half British...and can partially understand the situation. Maybe you have to be all-Brit to shrug it away completely! I recall that a Jag V12 Sedan I used to have (Daimler Double Six) also had pretty strange locks...

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tyger said:
Cleverly done, but it sounds like most people have had a problem unlocking their doors when the battery has died, which this will not solve.
I guess everyone's fear is having the fob/alarm suddenly stop working properly when the top is on and the windows are up
Yes, but since you have access to the boot, you could always get a jump from someone, which would allow you to unlock the doors and then jump start the car. Otherwise, you can't open the door to get in and start the car.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
scottyb said:
Yes, but since you have access to the boot, you could always get a jump from someone, which would allow you to unlock the doors and then jump start the car. Otherwise, you can't open the door to get in and start the car.
I'm not sure I understand. Under normal circumstances, you'd hook up to the other battery at which point you can unlock your doors with the fob, then get in and start the car. If the fob really does not work at all, you'll have a problem with the immobiliser anyway.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,146 Posts
As long as you have your 4-digit bypass code you dont need the immobiliser disable fob button.

I love this mod, but I would place the button in the engine compartment and not in the trunk where stuff could bounce around and press it accidently.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
darkSol said:
As long as you have your 4-digit bypass code you dont need the immobiliser disable fob button.
Yeh, not just the code but the knowledge of how to enter it. I've programmed my system to disable automatic immobilisation.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Knowing which wire to jump to open the doors is the important thing here. All you really need is a piece of wire with a clip on one end. In the unlikely even that you are locked out, unclip the connector on the inertia switch, clip the wire to the positive post on the battery, and touch the other end to the proper terminal in the connector. No need to cut up and modify the wiring for the safety switch...

Modifying wiring and using vampire taps is a great way to cause corrosion and electrical problems down the road in a few years...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts