The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Serebo1 said:
Am I being a complete idiot here? Can't you unlock the doors... with the key?
The key lock in the door keeps the outside push button from being pushed, defeating the mechanical that pushes the latch. The inside lock button, disables the outside button from opening the latch.

IIRC, if the top is off you can pull up the door lock but the alarm will go off.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
jmai22 said:
Lets say you tend to lock your keys inside your car quiet often. Would this work mod work if you made the switch hidden somewhere where you would NOT need to open up the trunk to get to. Lets say hide it somewhere hard to reach but only you knew about to open the door?

Yes it would work. You could hide the switch anywhere.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Last weekend when returning to the car after lunch I could not unlock the car using the fob. You could see the lifts move, but they would not pop up. It looked like every time you pushed the fob it tried to lock the door again rather that unlock it. I noticed the immobilizer did turn off, but the locks would not pop up. Repeated using my wifes fob and saw the same thing.

I immobilized the alarm and opened the trunk. Using the tool kit I had in the trunk, I was able to bend a metal coat hanger ( I got from a restaurant employee) into a v-shaped opening. Slipped it through the rubber weatherstrip at the top of the window, and after several minutes had trapped the V at the end of the hanger in the undercut on the door unlock button. Had my wife hit the fob, immobilizer light went off, pulled up the door lock button (slowly so the hanger didn't slip off), and opened the door.

Got me home!! I haven't had a chance to take it into the Dealer yet, but I will be doing this push button mod very soon!!!

Nice job ScottyB

Jimmy

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I'm not so hot on this mod for the reasons Tim pointed out. This seems like an awfully permanent change to the car's wiring for what is a rare occurrence. If this happens to me, I will probably walk into a store, buy a 12v battery and a piece of wire, and do it by hand.

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
I may do this mod...

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Reviving this thread because I did this mod today but a little differently.
I did not install a switch, I simply spiced into the inertia switch wire with a length of wire and secured it in the engine bay. If I every need to open the doors, I simply touch the end of the wire to battery positive. It works very well.
Thanks, ScottyB

·
Registered
6 Posts
ScottyB, I really like your swith idea. Thanks for figuring it out. Now my son's car is having its Lucas moment. We have searched and are unable to find the connector you show. Picture one shows a connector with an orange/red clip to secure it. On our car that is a fuel line. The cap to the right has two wires. Where is that? The only three-wire connector we have found is under the windshield washer tank. Its center wire is orange and white. It doesn't unlock doors. Picture 8 shows the loose end of the connector next to a clutch cable. From there, which direction to find the other half of the connector? Sorry to be so dense, but we're lost here. BTW our Elise is a 2005 if that makes any difference. Thanks Jim

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
FInd the inertia reset switch. It is located below and in front of the washer bottle. There are three wires going to it. One wire is a 12 volt positive that has power when the ignition is on, one leads to the central door lock and will unlock the doors when it receives a +12, and the last one goes to the fuel pump and will turn it on when it receives a +12.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I have a question about this switch -

Does anyone know if this works when the alarm fails?

Also - is it possible to utilize these to create a bypass switch to the alarm system?

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I have a question about this switch -

Does anyone know if this works when the alarm fails?

Also - is it possible to utilize these to create a bypass switch to the alarm system?
Yes this is completely independent of the alarm system.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
If your locked out of your car, how are you going to get into the trunk of a Exige to hit this button?
This "fix" was "invented" before there was any Exiges in the US... :shrug:

41 - 57 of 57 Posts