The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on an article I was reading it looks like the 4-cylinder Emira will have slightly less power than the V6 version but have a .1 second faster 0 to 60. I'm sure the spread will get even wider at top speed, when the V6 will take its run, but what are most of you who ordered in an Emira leaning toward?

Looks like the 4 cylinders will also offer a DCT where the V6 will have a manual or standard automatic. I mistakenly bought and automatic Evora, an effort to please my wife, and it lasted about four track weekends before it started slipping. Definitely won't be getting another traditional automatic transmission in a Lotus, not that it was a great idea in the first place.

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,715 Posts
never listen to the wifey only pretend to listen lollol
And how long have you been married?
Just joking, of course.
I am in for a I4 Emira for a number of reasons but my wife being able to drive it too is a big decider. It will be my daily and we want to take it on trips too so she will need to be a pilot and she will never learn to drive the 6 speed.

Reactions: brightoncorgi

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,715 Posts
I also have a few other reasons I am going for the I4. The tuning potential for the I4 is phenomenal. There are many options available already because there is a large number of Europeans tuning the A45. The transmission is strong also, probably stronger than the V6 transmission, and will support higher power. Overall, I think this will be the one to have but we will have to wait for it.

Reactions: lion shf

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,715 Posts
How many MB's with that i4 have gone 200k+ miles with no major engine work?
Wow, in a post-Covid world I am never expecting to ever reach 200k miles on any car. This will be my daily but I'll probably put 5-8K miles on it per year. I have averaged about 4K/year during Covid. The I4 may not be the correct choice for a 30k/year commuter but it will work for me.
How many 200K mile Evora, Elise, or Exige are there?
I agree the AMG M139 will be more expensive to maintain than the Toyota V6 but that will be okay (I hope!).

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Wow, in a post-Covid world I am never expecting to ever reach 200k miles on any car. This will be my daily but I'll probably put 5-8K miles on it per year. I have averaged about 4K/year during Covid. The I4 may not be the correct choice for a 30k/year commuter but it will work for me.
How many 200K mile Evora, Elise, or Exige are there?
I agree the AMG M139 will be more expensive to maintain than the Toyota V6 but that will be okay (I hope!).
There are many Camry's with the same V6 with several hundred thousands on them.

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,715 Posts
There are many Camry's with the same V6 with several hundred thousands on them.
I guess what I was trying to say is that I never expect to drive my Emira 100s of thousands of miles so it is not a problem if the AMG engine, which is high strung, needs maintenance at 80 - 100K. I am willing to accept the consequences of my decision.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I will tell my grand kids to buy the V6 over the I4 Emira in the future if all of the Emiras for sale has over 100k miles. Our family Camry is 250k miles and corolla is almost 300k miles. My wife Sienna is 160k miles and still run like day 1 from the dealership. It doesn't burn oil like other brands. Resale value will favor the v6 - if that's important for you. Not to mention the I4 is auto only. If you look at the used car market, the manual commands higher prices (BMW 850, M3, 90s Supra, MR2, AM, etc.)

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,715 Posts
I will tell my grand kids to buy the V6 over the I4 Emira in the future if all of the Emiras for sale has over 100k miles. Our family Camry is 250k miles and corolla is almost 300k miles. My wife Sienna is 160k miles and still run like day 1 from the dealership. It doesn't burn oil like other brands. Resale value will favor the v6 - if that's important for you. Not to mention the I4 is auto only. If you look at the used car market, the manual commands higher prices (BMW 850, M3, 90s Supra, MR2, AM, etc.)
Yup, understand where you are coming from. I am keeping the Elise to satisfy my need to "Row".

Reactions: Catsailr27

·
Administrator
13,485 Posts
If I was to get Emira I would opt for auto as I age. The I4 is better option for that but there is no replacing the six for sound. It will be 2027 before you could opt for tune options without voiding warranty ..if someone has cracked the encryption by then and offered tunes. No doubt KT would be at the forefront as they are with the GT at this point.

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
Engine choices are a little generational. The older you are, the more cylinders you'd like as an engine option. If you're 50+, you'd take the V12 if they could fit in the Emira. Even if it were slower.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Based on an article I was reading it looks like the 4-cylinder Emira will have slightly less power than the V6 version but have a .1 second faster 0 to 60. I'm sure the spread will get even wider at top speed, when the V6 will take its run, but what are most of you who ordered in an Emira leaning toward?

Looks like the 4 cylinders will also offer a DCT where the V6 will have a manual or standard automatic. I mistakenly bought and automatic Evora, an effort to please my wife, and it lasted about four track weekends before it started slipping. Definitely won't be getting another traditional automatic transmission in a Lotus, not that it was a great idea in the first place.
WOW, you are the first person I have heard say this........Slippage??? Short of failing passages, there are no belts to slip. I overheated my 13 IPS once in retrospect due to an improper cooldown., but she shifts quite nicely on track. Even 3rd to 4rth is damn near as quick as I can pop a gear.....everytime, even without reinforced motor mounts........I vote for the Toyota 6 as a PROVEN DREAM POWERPLANT. The sounds it makes alone with a proper 2bular baffled exhaust make it the no brainer

• Helpful
Reactions: brightoncorgi
1 - 16 of 16 Posts