The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want the Emira and am moments away from putting down deposits. Would love to hear how those of you who have small children deal with enjoying two seater sports cars but are also married with a child. I don’t want a 911 or Evora and wondering how you use the car (wife follows in suv with child to track, alone driving around the neighborhood, ??)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've been in this situation when I sold my Subaru STI and got my first Lotus - Elise. It was tough for the wife. I can't help her with anything because my sport car doesn't have the extra seats or space. She doesn't want to follow me in another car and it's ridiculous for us to drive in two cars to a destination.

If you have kids, you must get a sport car with the back seats. There's just no way around it for long term. My wife has a van for or family but whenever she needs me to drive the kids to/from school, I can't. Or if we need to run errands that required space (Home Depot, Costco, airport, etc.), I can't. That's why I sold my Elise after a year and got the Evora. It solved my problems and the wife is happy. A happy wife lets me buy more than one sport cars. Yes, I'm planning on adding the Emira in the future but still keep the Evora because of the +2.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have 12 year old son and wife and have been driving a Cayman as my daily driver past 6 years. Son loves when I take him without the wife. She drives a luxury Barge and we take that instead of mine anytime while family plus dog needs to go anywhere.

my only problem has been a time or two when her car has had issues and we don’t have a third car and have to rent something for her. In 6 years my Cayman has been problem free

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is a real problem and my reasoning to buy a M3 few years ago. I don't know how many kids you have or what age, but I believe you can install a child seat on the passenger side in the Emira for those rare occasions.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Having children and a two seater is a definite problem . . . we have two kids (all grown up now) and they are two years apart in age, so it was difficult initially. When they were little, we were forced to have one SUV (3rd row seating was a requirement at the time), one Sedan and the Sports car. The SUV for when parents visit to drive us all around together, for doing long trips and for the Costco shopping . . . we needed two cars with 4 seats for the drop off / pickup of the kids from school/daycare. one of us would do drop off and the other would do pick up. As you can imagine, the sports car became a weekend car until the kids got older.

·
Registered
2017 Lotus Evora 400 manual, 2009 Rossion Q1, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
532 Posts
It's a problem. Held onto my Cayman as long as I could then had a couple of 4 door vehicles. Starting looking at 911's but so glad I landed with my Evora 400 but hope you can work it out.

·
Premium Member
2011 Lotus Evora
189 Posts
If you already have kids you already know if your relationship dynamic is such that your partner will be okay if you can take off for a few hours and do something by yourself with your car. If you have a new baby on the way I’d suggest buying something with a back seat. Even it if isn’t your number one choice of car you’d get to use it more than only a 2 seater.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate the replies. My daughter is 2 and my wife and I were part of Audi America and tracked our R8 several times a year. Traded it in for a Q5 when baby came. Really love the lines of 2 seater mid engines but understand with a child the car would sit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have an AWD Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Lusso with 4 doors and 4 seats if I need to take passengers. When my son, his wife and 4 year old come up to visit, we take the SUV. We have a Honda CRV for that. I'm getting the Emira for me as my retirement gift more or less. The wife doesn't like driving fast, so for fun it's just going to be me and my Emira. Hmm... that sounds like a song title. Me and My Emira; I'll have to work on that one lol.

·
Puff Daddy
3,874 Posts
I'm in the same boat... I sold all my two seaters when my second kid showed up. I'm tempted by the Emira but I'll probably just wait while keeping an eye out for an Evora GT. My family car right now is a Tesla, and my 5 year old thinks 0-60 in 3.1 seconds is normal and everything else noisy and slow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It totally depends on other factors in your life and your use case. For me the only answer was that the 2 seater sports car was a third car, and I primarily use it during the week to go to work and back home.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Having a second car driving to the track isn't too bad. Gives the family flexibility to leave whenever.
Outside of track time it's tough to drive the 2 seater. Taking a single larger car just makes more sense around town and is more comfy anyways.
I think a lot of it comes down to whether you have enough opportunities to drive the car yourself to make ownership worthwhile. For me, that's commuting to and from work (lucky to have a nice backroads commute and covered parking at work) and track and autocross events, plus the odd Cars and Coffee.

·
Registered
276 Posts
It totally depends on other factors in your life and your use case. For me the only answer was that the 2 seater sports car was a third car, and I primarily use it during the week to go to work and back home.
Will be my plan as well. SUV (or wife’s car) to take the kids in, sports car to drive to work on the days I go in the office and a fun car with back seats for the weekend.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For a while when I had one child I had a sedan and a sports coupe. With decent prior planning I don't think I really ever needed another people carrier. After the second child we added a crossover but we're apparently still stuck in our old ways and never NEEDED the extra car. It definiyely helps if your spouse likes/I'd able to drive sports cars though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My story is like Eagle7: my wife not crazy about fast cars. But my 4 year old is. She calls my ‘86 Alfa “the car with no seats” and loves it. I think the Emira will be for my mental health and father/daughter blats. Same was true of my Caterham and my older kid.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have 3 kids and an r8 and its fine... they just dont go in the car :) except for the occasional 1-1 time

1 - 20 of 28 Posts