The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Emira made its debut in Austin today (and is still ongoing for the next hour or so). At this point, probably not much new to see in these photos, but here are several for your review. Just a note that these images were taken with a 16 mm wide angle lens, so there is some distortion on the exterior shots (worked okay for the interior).

It was interesting to see a car with a clutch and 6-speed gearshift and a set of paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Something for everyone!

Car Vehicle Wheel Land vehicle Tire
Vehicle Steering part Automotive design Motor vehicle Steering wheel

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, they do have the paint color discs as well as the interior samples on display. See one of the photos below.

I didn't try moving the driver's seat. The positioning felt similar to the Evora, but I did not experiment.

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you for sharing the pictures. Do they have the sample color discs at these events? And are you able to move the driver’s seat?
Someone from Lotus moved the seat back for us tall people.

At 6’5” - I fit fine with probably too much legroom if the seat is all the way back. It was impressive how much legroom there was. Headroom was fine too especially if the seat is higher in this car than the production car.
Here are a few pics of the discs. I was looking at moving from green to silver so I really only paid attention to those.

lastly - the Lotus rep told me that dark verdant is empire green. it’s too dark for my tastes - wish it were metallic racing green. Moving to nimbus with red stitch alcantara

Gesture Headgear Gas Helmet Personal protective equipment

Automotive lighting Material property Gas Wood Balloon

Table Orange Material property Audio equipment Rectangle

Material property Cloud Gas Tints and shades Audio equipment
Material property Cloud Gas Tints and shades Audio equipment
Gesture Headgear Gas Helmet Personal protective equipment
Table Orange Material property Audio equipment Rectangle
Automotive lighting Material property Gas Wood Balloon

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! Much better images of the color samples, although I would have trouble making a decision based on these small samples. It's a little easier to envision the interior colors than the metallic exterior discs. I thought the Emira was pretty dreary looking in the gray color, so the Skittles colors will likely be more lively on this car.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I too enjoyed the event and wonderful arrangements of Marketing. The entire Austin team was most responsive.
Photos do not justify the 'in-person' impression. Shadow Grey is actually a charcoal tone that easily looks darker depending on lighting. The seats were quite comfortable/supportive, and the shifter crisp. Expansive view through the windshield. Nice solid door sound with easy lever opening. Plenty of interior room and easy access/egress. V6 Engine has a nice rumble until it revs explosively.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tire
Car Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wow, I wonder why they have a paddle shift wheel with the manual trans... 🤔 Guess that's further proof that this is not a final production example! 😂

Reactions: LotusB

·
Registered
578 Posts
I was going to head down to Austin, but no way on the day before Thanksgiving as 35 would have been a nightmare coming from Dallas. Thanks for sharing pictures and thought.

·
Registered
Lotus Emira Deposit given
2 Posts
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Seeing this car in person yesterday was crucial for me since the price was higher than expected from UK launch pricing and the new Z06 looks to be amazing and a similar price with each having to be ordered a year out.
Got to speak with the Lotus tech guys (Thank you Lotus for having them there) about a few things.
Key points I got:
-First US delivery won't be until late 2022 for V6 Launch. Most won't see until early 2023.
-V6 vs AMG I4 was mixed among them. They stated 370HP (vs the 360HP previously stated) for the I4 and it will "feel" faster because of the more sudden torque push. So if you're actually willing to tune it, go I4. Otherwise go V6.
Also expect almost $10k less in price, but add at least 6 months wait time for delivery. (For the I4 Launch edition)
-Sport vs Touring suspension... "Just get the sport." They each stated that the 2 susp. setups have a very similar ride quality. Tire choice will be more important.
-I don't see a color looking bad on this car. With so many lines, ducts, curves, and angles a dark color won't hide anything. But a bright color will just make an already amazing car pop even more. Dark Verdant (dark green) looks black. On an overcast day it looked black outside. It would take a bright sunny day to then pop green. The red is not "lip stick" red but lighter than I would like.
-Lastly, the car looks as amazing in person as you think it does on YouTube. It looks wide, low, and very special. The interior is up to date but a bit basic. That said, there's good details with the starter button, manual shifter and overall just well done door trim panels to dash design.
I want one. Probably in Dark Verdant. But still stuck between engine choices.
Here's a link to the car revving and a quick look.

·
Registered
Lotus Emira Deposit given
2 Posts
P.S. It was a nightmare doing a day trip to and from DFW but we had a great day. (Went to meet the owner and watchmaker of Dufrane watches and bought his Waterloo)
Also Mr. Kahn at Hi Tech Motorcars was excellent. Glad I got my deposit in with him a couple of months ago. Now just waiting for him to hear from Lotus on when ordering starts. (Probably Jan.)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't think I still had these photos, but here are a couple images of the Evora debut at Lotus of Austin in July 2009. They had a red and a black car that had been driven across the country, so these were early production cars. Some lucky customers got to ride in them. It would have been ideal if the Emira were shown outside in natural lighting.

Car Sky Vehicle Tire Land vehicle

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel

·
Registered
61 Posts
I also made the drive to Austin from Houston (about a 6-7hr round-trip) to take a peek at the Emira in the flesh. In short, it was worth the drive.

I found it interesting that dealers whom were not on the roadshow schedule not only didn't advertise the ability to view the car (relatively) locally, but went as far as to say "dont even bother, they wont let you in the event, its RSVP only for THEIR customers", which was blatantly false. This is the synopsis I got from a friend who called me after seeing my social media posts, upset, being led to believe he wouldn't be welcome if he took the drive. I RSVP'd at Austin with no issues.

Things that I picked up while at the event;

There are angles on this car (like this) that are positively jaw-dropping beautiful. Pure exotic.

There are still angles (in profile) where you can get the car to look slightly guppy (shorter, taller, etc). I think this only noticed because the front, rear, and width of the car evokes so much sex appeal that it makes anything that doesn't walk in that lockstep stand out.

Still looks wonderful in profile though...

This thing shames a Cayman in style and presence in person--and this is coming from a huge P car fan and previous 987.2 owner.

I didn't see anyone post the lower diffuser section in detail. It looks aggressive and WIDE, but for me the true appeal is seeing its a true diffuser (not some plasticky aesthetic afterthought like some manufacturers). The diffuser strakes are long and extend the entire width of the diffuser, running down and into the aero trays. The entire underbody of the car is covered (just like the Evora). The 245/295 F/R tire setup looks suit for purpose and aggressive, as well.

I turned the running lights on to see the DRLs and rear taillights light up--and got yelled at for draining the battery :D. They look modern and fresh, front and rear.

Really like the baby ducktail in profile, and I noticed something I had not seen before...

While the side intakes dominate the profile view I didn't realize that the character line that runs down the lower side sill actually ends in another air inlet, pulling air into the engine/brakes/suspension areas;

I'm still unwavering in my desire to own a Green over Tan Brit. Yes its darker than I would like (the configurator green would be perfection), yes it looks positively black in overcast (I took the sample outside), but it is what it is. I think in the right lighting it will be a stunning combo and I'm ok with it playing hard to get. I hope you all hate it and don't order it :D

I took a video of the exposed gear shift linkage for you all. It is poverty spec Pagani fanfare for sure, in a good way. A gimmick I will love geeking out over with other 3-pedal purists.

Also took a video of the turn signals front/rear;

1 - 20 of 49 Posts