The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 469 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Discuss your experience and findings regarding Lotus Dealership policies for taking deposits and reserving an allocation/ build slot for the Emira.

If you have already inquired or placed a deposit and earned a reservation, feel free to share—if you’re comfortable—the dealership name & location as well as things like how much they are asking for the deposit, if they’ve mentioned ADM/ no ADM, or any other fascinating experiences you’ve had.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Placed deposit on 7/9 w/ Los Gatos dealership. I called on 7/7 and would have been #3 then. When I placed my deposit on 7/9, they said 11 had placed deposits on 7/8. I should be around #13-15 - they wouldn't give a specific number. Test drives starting in November.

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,198 Posts
How many authorized Lotus dealerships are there? I am curious because it seems like most dealers are reporting 10 - 15 pre-orders. Just trying to gauge the total number of cars being requested. Also, who remembers if 2003 -2004 was like this on the Elise? Maybe someone can add a history lesson here?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also placed my deposit with Los Gatos in Northern California! $5,000 refundable until order placed. I called on the 8th and spoke with Adam one of the brand managers and he told me I was 10th. He also mentioned something about 25 slots but I don’t know if all 25 is for the V6 Manual. He also reassured on two occasions that I’d be taking delivery at MSRP!

I did try Boardwalk in Redwood City but I went in on the sole Lotus Salesperson’s day off. Left my name and number but didn’t get a call back. I heard from another member it’s $2500 deposit and MSRP no ADM. Can someone verify?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Placed deposit on 7/9 w/ Los Gatos dealership. I called on 7/7 and would have been #3 then. When I placed my deposit on 7/9, they said 11 had placed deposits on 7/8. I should be around #13-15 - they wouldn't give a specific number. Test drives starting in November.
Wondering about Test drives starting in November. My understanding is that no production cars will be completed until 2022, and the initial cars will be sold in the UK. Not sure how that translates to a test drive in November.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
846 Posts
I think the test drives in NOV were from some chat transactions from LOTUS, but they also gave out mis information, as in the chat lady was not very well informed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A lot of dealers and online Lotus Hub have mentioned the November Demo car tour event. I think these are targeted for prospective buyers who placed a deposit. brand manager even mentioned that we’ll be able to drive the car.

Lotus will probably make a few pre-production cars that are still legal to be driven for this tour.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
846 Posts
Id love to get behind the wheel and drive one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put my deposit down on Tuesday right after the stream, was able to do most of it over the phone and then just went in to the dealership a couple of days later to meet the sales member. Confirmed my reservation slot already and have given my config code.

I'm glad I got in early, order numbers are already getting up there. It's said Lotus already has more than 2000 orders in, and some dealerships are seeing 30+ reservations. Allocations in the US was only supposed to be 500 for the first year and I've heard Lotus is considering increasing that allocation. How that will work out with the 1500 orders for the first edition, I'm not sure.

So the longer people sit on it the longer they're going to be waiting for their Lotus.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I put my deposit down on Tuesday right after the stream, was able to do most of it over the phone and then just went in to the dealership a couple of days later to meet the sales member. Confirmed my reservation slot already and have given my config code.

I'm glad I got in early, order numbers are already getting up there. It's said Lotus already has more than 2000 orders in, and some dealerships are seeing 30+ reservations. Allocations in the US was only supposed to be 500 for the first year and I've heard Lotus is considering increasing that allocation. How that will work out with the 1500 orders for the first edition, I'm not sure.

So the longer people sit on it the longer they're going to be waiting for their Lotus.
I think we are at the same dealership (Austin), saw your name on the excel sheet. My deposit was placed 7/9 and I believe at that time I was already in the low 20s on their list. They confirmed with me car being sold at MSRP.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,419 Posts
Maybe someone can add a history lesson here?
I recently went back and read some posts from 2003-2004 where people were reacting to news that the Elise was coming stateside and the rampant speculation and excitement that followed. I kept reading and found some posts where people were reserving, pre-ordering and speccing their MY2005 Elises.

It's sort of fascinating that this site exists as a sort of living repository of all these experiences and information.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I recently went back and read some posts from 2003-2004 where people were reacting to news that the Elise was coming stateside and the rampant speculation and excitement that followed. I kept reading and found some posts where people were reserving, pre-ordering and speccing their MY2005 Elises.

It's sort of fascinating that this site exists as a sort of living repository of all these experiences and information.
I bought my car 4th week in January 2005. Dealers were charging $2.5 to 5K markup over MSRP. There was a waiting list but they had one car where deal went thru. I put a deposit on that car and went skiing for 2 week. I picked up the car when I got home to SD. I still have the car w/ 60K miles.

·
Registered
7,338 Posts
I think we are at the same dealership (Austin), saw your name on the excel sheet. My deposit was placed 7/9 and I believe at that time I was already in the low 20s on their list. They confirmed with me car being sold at MSRP.
Get it in writing. Car dealers have remarkably short memories.

·
Registered
7,338 Posts

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,198 Posts
Could be worse. I wanted to buy an Evora 400 and the dealer was tacking on $1200 above the internet price for detailing and etching the glass with the S/N. Totally unstated online and I did not find out about it until they provided me with the invoice to review. They said it was non-negotiable so I told them to pound sand.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I hate it when dealers add on those extra things to just pad their profits. I have told them that I don't want it and to take it off. They tell me they can't and I say "Fine, I'll buy the vehicle somewhere else" and walk out. If we don't standup to this type of BS, they are only going to make it worse in time.

Later,
Eldon

·
Administrator
2005 Lotus Elise
2,198 Posts
@eldonz Totally agree. They have been trying to sell the car for more than a month now and keep emailing me. I continue to request to be removed from their list but they will not stop bugging me. I now have a Word document with my canned response and I paste it into the email. So annoying

1 - 20 of 469 Posts